Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Do you prefer On road racing indoors, or outdoors? >

Do you prefer On road racing indoors, or outdoors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you prefer On road racing indoors, or outdoors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I really liked racing indoors on asphault. Raced down at socal for a couple years before it closed.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Indoor by far either asphalt or carpet. More traction and cars stay clean and pristine.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Outdoor on tarmac for me. But there's only one track within an hour and a half from where I live!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

From where i live, its blistering hot outdoor like 35-38C. Even the motors do not seem that fast in the heat. So I prefer indoor carpet in an airconditioned hall. The problem is we don't have a permanent indoor track, only few indoor races in a year organised by our rc association. So in the mean time we play outdoor using foam tyres which seems to be more consistent than rubber.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I haven't gotten a chance to race on carpet yet, but i can't help but feel like it's cheating. Seems like the amount of traction available is wrong. With that being said, my LHS is setting up a carpet track as we speak. I can't wait to run on it. I'll probably be there tomorrow.

I have only raced outdoors on asphalt so I can't give an honest opinion. I really do enjoy racing outside in good weather. I happen to like the sun and a lot of heat really doesn't bother me. It is even better with a nice cool breeze. I really like the idea of in door asphalt. I know if I had the money, I'd build in door asphalt, probably in door off road too.

So how come no one races carpet out doors?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Weather on a nice carpet track doesn't work.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

The best of both worlds, A Retractable Roof.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheROK1212
I may be biased here, but I have the good fortune to be near a friggin awesome on-road facility (big up to LHR for the Byrons') and to race outdoors on a well prepared, purpose made outdoor facility on a beautiful summer day will make you wonder who thought of ozite anyway. Parking lots is a different story though.
Yep, I have a really nice track only half an hour away from me, and being there on a warm day is the best feeling in the world. Also, as I have a pretty realistic car, it adds something to the experience seeing it on real tarmac, with realistic rumble strips.

Also, It saves a huge amount on parts with only one board (pit wall) to hit!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
I dont get where these mentions of not having to adjust a car as much on carpet compared to asphalt are coming from.. That makes no sense to me. In my experience, the grip levels at carpet races vary wildly from one round the next due to the increased level of compound getting slopped all over the place. Now if tire additives were taken away, and we had to set up to run on actual carpet rather than layers of goo, maybe things would be different.
I'm lucky. Its fairly new carpet and only one additive allowed at the home track. The away track uses the same additive, but the on line and off line traction is seriously different on the older carpet. As traction comes up I adjust by using less compound. By the mains I barely need any. By the next time I practice, I have to start over with almost full compound as it evaporates. I don't normally have to mess with springs, oil, shock pistons or shock angle more than once for a particular track. Maybe a little camber adjustment between rounds. I'm trying to say I don't have to throw the whole toolbox at the car between rounds. I do expect traction to come up every time I go out for the next round.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Without hesitation I say carpet indoors. I have tried indoors tarmac but I prefer carpet for sure.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

outdoors for me.
Indoors asphalt was pretty cool when my track had it.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

I pretty much exclusively race indoors now - mainly because of the unpredictable UK weather.

I've had some great outdoor meetings, but I have also had a number of ruined meetings. Because I don't have that much flexibility in when I can go racing any more due to family, I like to know that the meetings I go to will be consistent and won't turn into a tyre-swapping-electrics-drowning lottery.

Seems I'm a big wuss about the rain!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dameetz
From where i live, its blistering hot outdoor like 35-38C. Even the motors do not seem that fast in the heat. So I prefer indoor carpet in an airconditioned hall. The problem is we don't have a permanent indoor track, only few indoor races in a year organised by our rc association. So in the mean time we play outdoor using foam tyres which seems to be more consistent than rubber.
hey dameetz, is this what u mean by aircondioned hall?.hehe.. i agree with dameetz here, where we live its hot outdoor.. and we enjoy racing outdoor and indoor.. but i prefer it indoor..

Do you prefer On road racing indoors, or outdoors?-19042009397.jpg
Old 08-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

'Real Racers Do It Outdoors'

I occasionally race indoors, particularly during the winter, but I just prefer the faster asphalt track racing we get in the UK.
I think we're pretty spoiled in the UK for decent outdoor venues which are all different.

I can only think of a couple of purpose built indoor venues, Maritime and one in Guildford.
Most will be week night clubs that lay the carpet in a small school hall etc then pack it all away at the end of the night.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Can't say I wouldn't like outdoor asphalt if the track was half decent, but I suppose I'm biased, cause all I've ran asphalt on is a lousy dusty parking lot.
Indoor carpet for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.