Wiki Posts
Search

the state of onroad electric racing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03
The modified motors are much more durable and last a lot longer than the spec 10.5's.
I think this is more people just getting stupid with their gearing. Saw that at our track last year when we ran a 10.5 class. People thinking if 1 extra tooth on the pinion is better then 10 extra teeth must be really good. The mod motors just give people more speed then they need, doesn't necessarily mean they are no longer stupid.

So mod drivers, how can we get you to come back and join the rest of us in stock?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by robk
I was at the 1/8 off road nats race this weekend, and those cars are slow compared to an on road car. Not less difficult to drive at a high level, but slower in straight line speed. They don't take off like a foam sedan out of the corner, either. So, guys can get them around the track ok, and they are really hard to break (some of the landings off the triple had to be seen to be believed).
That's what I was thinking. Why don't we settle on one motor like a 11.5 so the fast guys don't get bored and the beginners still have to learn to drive. Like nitro they settled on one displacement so everyone runs together and fast guys don't need to be told to move up to mod. Everyone races together. But wait then there would be only one winner.

Yeah my first few days of racing TC after running nitro buggy are real sketchy. Its a lot easier for me to go from TC to nitro buggy.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i think everyone here r juzt looking for a chance to win. 3.7v 1s won't solve the problem. 1/12 have come out with 1s chasis, new 1s esc n bla bla. so is that mean everyone have to buy a 1s chasis to race mod n normal chasis to race stock? maybe race organizer can limit mod motor. for bigger track to 4.5/5.5 or 6.5 smaller track to 10.5 or higher. some tracks r so small that it'll be useless racing with 6.5 or lower turn motor, but some outdoor tracks r so large that even a 3.5 can be very easy to control. yes, we have race 3.5t on 60meter x 30meter tracks. the fastest lap is as fast as 1/10GP lap time.

if complaining mod driver r too fast, then maybe one can try out running mod in practise. it isn't so bad. sponsor driver r fast because they r fast that's y they get sponsored. running 13.5/11.5/10.5 they r still fast. HARA race some 11.5T too. n he still win.

in every sport, factory sportman or driver, will get some special tuning goodies/prototype. but that doesn't mean a sure win. u might get a new pair of prototype shoes but u still need to have a pair of strong legs n strategy to win. i did some mtb races, but it's not always pro riders taking all top 10s.

just race what u can, if feel comfortable, try out mod. maybe 4.5 is too fast? try 5.5 or 6.5. that way u'll learn n practise.

just my 0.02 cents... good luck...
Old 07-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
(you'd hot lap your mod tc with a stock 12th).
and that's the very reason why everybody should be running 1/12th. because they are fast. not to mention way less work and way less costly.

yes, chris.....we know you were kidding. but in most kidding there's at least a tiny bit of seriousness hidden in there somewhere ....ususally just beneath the thin veneer of humor.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Not to get off topic but no way is 12th scale easier or cheaper then rubber TC. I tried 12th scale after 4 years of TC and broke almost $100 in parts in the two race days I tried it. I had to change out the freaking arms and shim them to change the ride height?? That's easier??
Old 07-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Kind of odd how it has been forgotten how everyone shat their collective pants when ROAR tried to go 4 cell for Sedan without letting the members know. The general public just doesnt' want that. Right now The 13.5 class is just as fast as mod back when we (average joe) could run a 11 or 12 double MAX. Personally I think we should Spec the Modified class to something like a 7.5 motor. I think there will be better turnouts (if that is the goal) in the Mod class. When technology makes that too fast, then go to a higher wind to keep Mod speeds in check. Close racing is fun, watching two cars survive the Mod carnage is not.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I read once that qualifying should be looked at as a means of sorting drivers by ability at a specific event. Once you have determined everyone's ability that particular day by the use of qualifying, you use the mains to determine who was the best driver at each level that particular day. In other words if you win your main (A or Z), then you are the best driver at that ability level for that day.

Personally I used to be bothered by pros in the lower classes. However, I've come to the realization that there will always be someone a bit faster than me. So instead of worrying about winning it all, I focus on beating the person who is just ahead of me. If I can do that, then I consider that a victory. If I happen to win the A-main, even better.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I read once that qualifying should be looked at as a means of sorting drivers by ability at a specific event. Once you have determined everyone's ability that particular day by the use of qualifying, you use the mains to determine who was the best driver at each level that particular day. In other words if you win your main (A or Z), then you are the best driver at that ability level for that day.

Personally I used to be bothered by pros in the lower classes. However, I've come to the realization that there will always be someone a bit faster than me. So instead of worrying about winning it all, I focus on beating the person who is just ahead of me. If I can do that, then I consider that a victory. If I happen to win the A-main, even better.
Exactly! I also use those that joined the hobby around the same time a me as a gauge. Funny thing is we are all almost the exact same speed now.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Not to get off topic but no way is 12th scale easier or cheaper then rubber TC. I tried 12th scale after 4 years of TC and broke almost $100 in parts in the two race days I tried it. I had to change out the freaking arms and shim them to change the ride height?? That's easier??
What car were you running? Seriously I doubt if I ever spent that much in broken parts going to the track every day for a month. Now ask me how much money I spent using up the parts
Old 07-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by corallyman
What car were you running? Seriously I doubt if I ever spent that much in broken parts going to the track every day for a month. Now ask me how much money I spent using up the parts
Carpet knife 3.2. The most expensive part was breaking the shock twice. And replacing that.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
Kind of odd how it has been forgotten how everyone shat their collective pants when ROAR tried to go 4 cell for Sedan without letting the members know. The general public just doesnt' want that. Right now The 13.5 class is just as fast as mod back when we (average joe) could run a 11 or 12 double MAX. Personally I think we should Spec the Modified class to something like a 7.5 motor. I think there will be better turnouts (if that is the goal) in the Mod class. When technology makes that too fast, then go to a higher wind to keep Mod speeds in check. Close racing is fun, watching two cars survive the Mod carnage is not.
10.5.. then you can use 7.4v lipo..and it'll have even more people
Old 07-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone that thinks you need a lipo chassis for 1/12, at least the ones that are out there now, they are not necessary. All they do is lower the battery 1mm or less. There is no extra tuning or anything that makes the car handle better with lipo. If you can tell a difference then you should be beating Paul L.

For the TC, you would make the weight as such that you only take away the weight difference between the 8.4 v lipo and 3.7v. That way you still run your battery lipo weights that go in the cell slots and it makes getting the car balance easier and you don't need a specific lipo chassis. Maybe it means we run 4 cell weights or maybe still the 6 cell weights. You might have to run the speedo on the right side and run the receiver pack where the speedo was. I don't know the weight split exactly but I can figure it out tomorrow if anyone cares to know.

Paul
Old 07-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
All of this is silly !

Just change the names of the class`s

novice
intermediate
pro

or

novice
sportsman
pro

Problem is all to easy to fix...

When they do change, Sedan will come back ...
either way, I am not a PRO. so nothing changes in the classes i chose to run.

or do you have some way of deciding who gets to run where?

Last edited by skypilot; 07-20-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Legend

Instead of Pro

Call it the Expert Class....

A name change

no rules changed for Mod

just call it Expert & the racers ego will do the rest...
Old 07-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Instead of Pro

Call it the Expert Class....

A name change

no rules changed for Mod

just call it Expert & the racers ego will do the rest...
well, i can't claim to be a expert or pro, so its still sportsman for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.