R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default the state of onroad electric racing?

hey all: I've heard that driver entry numbers are down at many onroad events the last few years so what's causing onroad racing to be a little stagnant right now? Is it the poor economy right now or maybe 1/8th nitro buggy/truggy is just attracting more racers right now and is the hot class(es) to b in? Thanks for the
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I believe it has to do alot with the economy. I am in sales and my pay has decreased quite a bit.Also I am just getting back into rc after a long break and to now go brushless,spektrum,and lipo is not cheap.Just my .02
Old 07-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I usually hang out in the off road forums, but I saw this thread and wanted to chime in. I think that some of the drop off in the on road scene is the advent of brushless motors, and the rise of 1/8 scale electrics as well. Keeping a brushed motor in good shape in the off road world was a lot of work. Tearing down motors to clean them after each round or two gets to be a pain. With brushless coming along all of that tedious work goes with it. So some people how didn't want to deal with the constant motor work before are now getting into off road.

I also think that alot of it has to do with the economy like Haywood said. I can't recall having seen so many threads in the for sale sections of various boards with people selling out just to make ends meet. Myself I sold off all of my old stuff just to finance my new set up. That way it didn't really take too much out of my pocket.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Even 13.5 is getting very fast. The one thing I do see growing is slower classes, like 17.5, Trans AM, and RCGT. The racing is better since the cars are more controllable.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The problems right now facing Onroad are great... you got

1.ECONOMY- Around here.. most small hobby shops couldn't make ends meat and closed up. I have to drive almost an hour to get to a good onroad track. That's a heck of a commitment.

2.Technology- Everything is getting faster and for those of us who just want to have fun.. it's much too much. I want to have fun. That's why VTA as has been said and the slower classes are hanging in there. We almost need to invest more in beginners instead of fastest brushless sedan in the land. It's cool to be fastest, but budget wise, it's not always possible.

3.Manufacturers- I personally feel like there are some hit and miss things happening in the rc manufacturer world. One is the whole overseas thing which depresses some people. It happens... not much else to say there. The other is that often the mags and some forums.. not this one so much.. but others.. focus on bling and spending money to be the fastest and tend to endorse high dollar rides. We gotta get back to the basics.

With all that said, there are some great things happening still in stock tc, VTA, Slash classes, and others. People still start with a buggy or a cheap touring car. It's just in these times, people's focus changes and it's MUCH harder to race when there are NO good hobby shop tracks in the area willing to shell out a few bucks to create a race scene that will sell more product.

That's my 2 cents
Need belts or parts? I can help.
SWs, RWs, XX-4s, XXX-S
jhwnissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just got into this onroad thing, mostly because I am a huge auto sports fan and cannot afford to campaign a real car.

As I see it - -

1. Cost of entry - real and perceived

2. Geography - Lack of good on road tracks at a reasonable distance. I see some of those Euro tracks on YouTube and just drool...

I pay the cost, drive the distance, get the sun burn...why? Cause it is in my blood. This is, after all, a hobby. If it is just too tough to get into, or is just plain inconvienient to do regularly, most people will take their discretionary $s and do something else.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyFist View Post
I usually hang out in the off road forums, but I saw this thread and wanted to chime in. I think that some of the drop off in the on road scene is the advent of brushless motors, and the rise of 1/8 scale electrics as well. Keeping a brushed motor in good shape in the off road world was a lot of work. Tearing down motors to clean them after each round or two gets to be a pain. With brushless coming along all of that tedious work goes with it. So some people how didn't want to deal with the constant motor work before are now getting into off road.

I also think that alot of it has to do with the economy like Haywood said. I can't recall having seen so many threads in the for sale sections of various boards with people selling out just to make ends meet. Myself I sold off all of my old stuff just to finance my new set up. That way it didn't really take too much out of my pocket.
wow, really, when i ran off road i didn't think there was much work at all. I always thought the on road mod guys did all the work and that changed with brushless and now Mod is taking off again in my area. we have been having record turn outs this year, mainly because we went back to basics, stock and mod. with a filler class of trans am to give time to recharge and what not.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

our on-road scene had all but a few racers, mostly running 12th scale and 13.5 tc...and the numbers where low from week to week...but after VTA came into the picture last year it help bring alot of intrest back to on-road...now our on-road classes have got on a better pace with limit or spec classes...

17.5 touring on Jaco Blues
PRO TA/VTA
12TH SCALE 17.5

the best thing about running spec racing helps to eliminate the head-ache of money issues. If you run one of these classes ,model your club racing after the national rules and have fun...good luck
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

These threads start every 2-3 months, and it is the same repeated again and again.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
These threads start every 2-3 months, and it is the same repeated again and again.
Well, yes and no. They do come up, and they tend to emphasize the negative. But up here in the beautiful northwest, we're having the best onroad season in years. All of the programs are seeing good and growing turnouts.

Attitude matters, I think. The veterans have to cultivate and have patience with the newbs, and we've seen good leadership on that front from some of our longtime racers. Classes, the economy, realism, tires, motors, batteries, blah blah blah. It's the culture and the leadership that matter. Onroad is demanding. That's its virtue. It thrives where there is the culture to support it.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store.
Stand it like a man, and give some back. --Al Swearengen
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If numbers are down, someone forgot to tell several of the manufacturers, as there must be at least 5 new cars recently released.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think the release of new or refreshed cars coincides more with trying to make it in a bit of a depressed market. However.. that being said, there are some great choices because of the competition. The idea that leadership and attitude affects a club is a good point. I even overlooked that one. GREAT observation.
Need belts or parts? I can help.
SWs, RWs, XX-4s, XXX-S
jhwnissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

oh on that note....you should check out the post from this past weekends Beat the Heat/X-ray Challenge....

Team X-ray really gave back to the r/c on-road community with some very strong positive presence...read the last 3 pages...and you can see the rise in on-road love across the board...good luck

http://www.rctech.net/forum/msra-mem...thread-32.html
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It's down?? We are weekly breaking our attendance records where I race. I think we are up to 55 for club races. Get more and more every week.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Tech Master

sedan mod needs to go its a wasted class that only a hand full of factory guys run , halloween classic hosted by the gate is a good example of how it should be done. 10.5 is a great class, fast but not to fast and is just as entertaining as mod.
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote