Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Teacher
Wow Josh is gone from TOP... Having 3 guys at my local track that are super fast with the current car I see first hand that the car works However, if the guy that designed the car feels that it can go faster with upgrades why would TOP not welcome the changes...

Perhaps he wanted to be the front man for TOP as well as sell product under CEFX, instead of having TOP produce it. If i were his boss i would have shown him the door also.

No doubt there is more to it than that, but i bety this was the last straw.

In saying that the evo chassis looks trick, i wish he had designed this in the first place.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Besercoe
Perhaps he wanted to be the front man for TOP as well as sell product under CEFX, instead of having TOP produce it. If i were his boss i would have shown him the door also.

No doubt there is more to it than that, but i bety this was the last straw.

In saying that the evo chassis looks trick, i wish he had designed this in the first place.
Josh had already said that TOP gave him the "go ahead" to produce the chassis himself. They were very busy trying to keep up with demand for the current car, and they weren't ready for a major change in the design. I'm sure that the confusion/miscommunication was in there somewhere.

Just like when I paint a body, I've got several ideas in my head and only one of them makes it onto the body. I'm sure that Josh has thousands of crazy ideas and can only work one of them at a time. The Photon already broke away from the current molds and has been very successful in the stock form and will continue to win races around the world. Josh has put together a very unique setup that I'm sure will also win a ton of races. He will definitely be missed on the team, but E.J., Larry, Schreff, and the rest of the team will continue to put this car on the podium and prove that Josh's original design is still world class.

There is still lot's of stuff in the works at TOP. The new chassis's are still coming (hopefully next week), shocks are being improved, aluminum bellcrank on the way for those of us who can't stop hitting things , the aluminum knuckles and rear uprights have already made it here, and I'm sure that there are other things that I can't think of or don't know about. I wish Josh the best of luck with the Evolution and can't wait to see it in person someday.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

hello
are there difrent arms for the photon.
i got some with 2 times 2 holes for the shocks.
normaly i have 1 hole an 2 holes at the arm
also are there arms off softer material avaleble (more flex)?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Josh had already said that TOP gave him the "go ahead" to produce the chassis himself. They were very busy trying to keep up with demand for the current car, and they weren't ready for a major change in the design. .
Your right , Thats what he told me Saturday of the Nats. when I was looking at his car . I think that they didn't think he was going to be able to follow through so fast with the new kit .
. Good Luck Josh !

Old 04-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This is the first car I've owned that allows you to raise or lower the front and rear diff.

Can someone explain how lowering or raising the diff affects the car?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
This is the first car I've owned that allows you to raise or lower the front and rear diff.

Can someone explain how lowering or raising the diff affects the car?
It changes the angle of the driveshafts. Lowering the diff typically makes the driveshafts angle down to the diff side. When you apply power, they want to straighten up. It causes the center of the car to lift or the arms to apply more pressure to the tires. You would have to try it out to feel the difference. It's very subtle.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

any dealer contact in Bangkok, Thailand ?
Thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I Won the C Squared race at the Coliseum at Hobbytown yesterday against a few real good competitors including one of the National Champions from the nationals there last year who is always uber dialed at that track.

I showed up and my setup was way off to start but after 3 quick practice runs and a TON of changes I was able to set fast lap in the last 2 rounds and main and only qualify about 2 seconds back from Tq with a couple mistakes in the 3rd round. But by then my car was really good.

In the main others had some issues but I was able to lap the field and again set fast lap.

This race was an open tire race and I ran Solaris hards, while others ran a bunch of different tires such as Sorex, Sweep Exp and Jaco.

The Solaris worked great for me on this Really high bite asphalt track.

I'll post the setup later today, it probably wont translate to many places due to the very strange type of traction the Coliseum has. It ended up being somewhat close to my normal carpet setup with a bunch of small changes.

The main was filled with I think 7 xrays 2 TOP cars and 1 Hotbodies.

Arvin was in the main with a Top car, he showed up late and got dialed in quickly but didnt have time to change to everything I had done because I was constantly changing my car up until the last minute before the main lol.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Great job Larry. Hard to believe that the car works in STOCK form. The team is lucky to have guys like you.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I Won the C Squared race at the Coliseum at Hobbytown yesterday against a few real good competitors including one of the National Champions from the nationals there last year who is always uber dialed at that track.

I showed up and my setup was way off to start but after 3 quick practice runs and a TON of changes I was able to set fast lap in the last 2 rounds and main and only qualify about 2 seconds back from Tq with a couple mistakes in the 3rd round. But by then my car was really good.

In the main others had some issues but I was able to lap the field and again set fast lap.

This race was an open tire race and I ran Solaris hards, while others ran a bunch of different tires such as Sorex, Sweep Exp and Jaco.

The Solaris worked great for me on this Really high bite asphalt track.

I'll post the setup later today, it probably wont translate to many places due to the very strange type of traction the Coliseum has. It ended up being somewhat close to my normal carpet setup with a bunch of small changes.

The main was filled with I think 7 xrays 2 TOP cars and 1 Hotbodies.

Arvin was in the main with a Top car, he showed up late and got dialed in quickly but didnt have time to change to everything I had done because I was constantly changing my car up until the last minute before the main lol.
Arv had gotton up to 4th place and was chasing 3rd when he tapped a board. I had a fast guy try my Photon stock motor, and he was running down the super stock with my radio/etc.. He might be getting one along with a couple of other racers...
Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace

Arvin was in the main with a Top car,
Congrats to you as well Arv. Always a wheel.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Congrats to you as well Arv. Always a wheel.
Thanks Tony..

Yeah i showed up late at the C squared race, (2009 paved onroad nats track) high bite very smooth and quite technical. I got there 1pm? first round starting at 1:30. Ran my NEW car for 3 minutes, just basically a "shakedown". Decided to sit the first round out to make some changes to the car. Greeted everyone, and surprised to see Larry there also. He gave me heads up on springs and shock setup. I didnt change the shocks till 3rd round.

2nd round was gonna be my first qualifier, automatically qualified 10th in the A-main. Car was already in the mid to high 10 second lap times. Faster paced guys were doing mid to low 10s. Some other racers that normally race there had a hard time even getting into the 10s pace.

3rd round, made the shock change that Larry recommended. Wow!! huge change in the car! More of mid 10 second laps. But with the car more consistent, i was able to gain another lap! Qualifiying 9th now on the grid.

Before the main, Larry and I spoke, he needed to quit "tapping" he may be able to win it! His car was real good, in the main!! (HE WON) i was just making my way back through the pack eventually from 9th all the way up to 4th! But rubbed a wall on the left side of the chassis, and then something happened to speedo, or electronics, stopping the car. The race was almost over!

But running late, and the car running well from the start, rather than running off the pace made it so easy to bring it up to pace.

Gotta thank Larry for the heads up!! I needed that!!! Btw i was running jaco blues.. It was an "OPEN" premount tire, i would have tried other tires if i had a chance. Funny that Larry was the only one running Solaris tires! They must have worked! Awesome products!

Arv.

BTW. thanks Rick for the help.

Last edited by RCFREAK; 04-11-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:28 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

From when Larry showed up abd broke a few things in his first practice run til the A main when he won the car was night and day better. His car was money in the main. He wheeled against some really good drivers. I'm glad I didn't make the A main because then I would of missed some really awesome driving.

Arvin also ran well with his TOP car. Nice job.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks guys , I am never happy with my car at the C but I think I found something real good there this time. It wasn't perfect but it was probably the best car I have driven there.

Setup coming in like 10 min.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Frederick Photon Setup Sheet.pdf (393.0 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by L.Fairtrace; 04-11-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
From when Larry showed up abd broke a few things in his first practice run til the A main when he won the car was night and day better. His car was money in the main. He wheeled against some really good drivers. I'm glad I didn't make the A main because then I would of missed some really awesome driving.

Arvin also ran well with his TOP car. Nice job.
WYD, did "PLAN B" take place? (walk across the street, stumbling back to the track)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.