Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS/RS PRO on 1s Lipo Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Midnight
So when would you run a 1s pack. All my packs says 2s. Also I just purchased a tekin rs system with the 13.5, is there anything special I need to do.
1S lipo packs (3.7V) are being tried out for use in 1/12 scale racing. If you're running 2S 7.4V packs with your RS and 13.5 then you don't need to worry about anything discussed in this thread.

There is, however, a great thread about general use of the RS and RS Pro:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-sensored.html
Old 02-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just got word back from our team driver Steve Salvas that he's had great success running the Tekin RS on 1s with the VC set at 3 volts using a TQ Cells booster unit. He said that it worked great and the VC settings worked as expected.

www.tqcells.com
Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Thanks for the quick response Reen!!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Does Tekin, as a company, support this new style of racing? I know you want/need your speedo to work in every application out there, that's obvious, but what does Tekin think or feel of this new direction racing might take?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

is there a picture how everything is connected?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
Does Tekin, as a company, support this new style of racing? I know you want/need your speedo to work in every application out there, that's obvious, but what does Tekin think or feel of this new direction racing might take?
Damn Ben, that's a loaded question!!

You want my opinion
Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by miller tyme
Damn Ben, that's a loaded question!!

You want my opinion
I've heard your opinion a few times.

Tekin, by far, is the most approachable electronics company on here. Was looking to see what they really thought.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Team Tekin

I'm going to offer up MY PERSONAL OPINION here:

I think that part of racings downfall has been the associated costs with running at the top level. Not just at national events but even the local club scene. Having to have fresh packs(nimh's) and the latest motor(brushed or brushless) has made it less "fun" for some. This is why the Slash has taken off so well.

If you've been around the hobby for awhile(I have) you will see how intimidating it can be for new people to not only take the plunge and buy their first car setup but to compete. Being pulled down the straight away like they're in a Radio Shack car isn't a good feeling for them. They soon find out that they need lipos, a new charger, brushless,etc.

Anytime you "limit" a class for the benefit of the racers is helpful. This doesn't mean limit their choices neccessarily. I think this is why VTA and WGT are becoming so popular. VTA is the Slash of onroad in my humble opinion. Any TC, realistic bodies, spec'd tires choice of power plants and battery power.

Do I think that 1s is going to be popular, yes. Do I think that it's the "next big thing," sort of. 1s will be affordable long lasting power. We all have the chargers now, BL is a no brainer. The only issue up until recently was the radio equipment running on the lower voltage but even now we're getting worked out.

All in all I think that if it keeps people racing it's good. I don't care for limiting things to one brand of product as this isn't good for the hobby. It prevents product evolution, improvement and competition which is the whole point we race right?

I always like to take a look at "real" racing as a guidline. If we as racers and race organizations try not to repeat the same mistakes "rea" racing has made we can prosper. However if we continue to make the same mistakes over and over again, well that's the definitio of insanity....

THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND IS NOT NECCESSARILY SHARED WITH TEAM TEKIN.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Hi Randy,

Will Tekin release a booster? Would it be possible to incorporate a booster into a RS speedie? Or have you crammed enough technology into these wonderful little black boxes already? All I run is Tekin. Ran 'em back in the day (G12c3!). Now all my rides have 'em.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for your honest answer. Hopefully soon there will be more then one brand involved, but we have to agree that someone had to be first. Time will tell how it plays out. It'll decide which classes I choose to run for the foreseeable future.

I love the RS and can't wait to see some of these new software packages available to the masses.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Team Tekin

There's not enough room to put a booster in the RS.

We will continue to support current and future products as we see a need for them.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)
Default set up

Originally Posted by Kenny L
I found last night at our track that you can carry alot more gearing than nimh and run timing up to 12deg plus full boost we run on 70x40 carpet track
gearing was around 74spur with 58 to 62 pinion with 1.750 rear tires. We had alot of guys ready to switch to 13.5's before these changes now I think there has been a change of heart

here are setting I ran
drag 25
rev 0
brake 85
neu10
motor blfw
throttle 5
volt off
push 0
boost max
current 0
sensored only
so Kenny are you useing this setup with a 13.5 or a 17.5 thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Old 02-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have a question regarding the RS in the single cell LiPO application.

Several of the guys at my local track are running the RS in a 3.7 car with rx packs or boosters. Several racers are running 3.7 cars with other speedos and are not running any booster or RX pack. The RS will light up when I attach a single cell LiPO, but if there's no RX pack it will not power the motor or even make the chiming sound when it comes on. Just the normal LED sequence, but no sound. This indicates to me that the FETS aren't firing. If I plug in an RX pack, the RS comes on, and does the chiming. If I run a servo lead direct from the 3.7 LiPO to the receiver battery slot, the RS comes on, but again no chimes, no motor drive.

Is this something that can be addressed in software, or is it a hardware issue? I'd like to be able to try running with no booster or RX pack, but I don't intend to switch to some other speedo to do it.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Team Tekin

Double check your lipo cut off setting.

We've run them on 1s no booster or rx pack before. My guess is that your lipo setting isnt' set correcty. Turn it off and see what happens.

Also what's your "normal" led sequence?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.