Search
Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 07:13 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

psycho the bike was so new it still had all those nubs on the rear tires and even the center ones where still their. The guy paid 8399 for it and I got it for 6400. He bought it because he couldn't get a R6. 2 weeks later the r6 was in and the ZX6RR was gone. I like the Yamaha r6 but didn't want to honestly spend 8K on a bike to ride the little bit that I do. When I saw that ZX6RR at my Yamah dealer I just had to have it. I really like the looks of this bike and the color. Always been a fan of the Kawi Green and the ZX6's. I was also a big fan of the FZR as well.

I did have a 99 FZR I bought and was hit at a red light sitting still by some dumbass not paying attention. Bike was totalled but I was ok after being sore for about a week. Pissed me off as it was the sport bike I have wanted since 1991. I still miss my Black 99 FZR.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Sux to hear about your "crash." Just be thankful you fared well. A buddy of mine was involved in a roadrage incedent earlier in the year. A loser in a pickup ran him down at 50 mph in a parking lot and sent him flying. He's now paralyzed over 60% of his body. The only good thing about the story is that my buddy is a Harley rider and I'm sure the Hells Angels will have a lot of fun with the pickup truck driver while he's in prison. It's a real shame that people don't pay attention to what they are doing while driving. I ride 25 miles each way up and down the SF Peninisula to work, so I have ample opportunity to excercise my left middle finger! At least it's legal to split lanes in CA.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:34 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Very sorry to heat about your buddy. That really sucks and that guy who did it should have been beaten down like a dog. He still makes out ok as he only is in jail. Your buddy is the one that suffers.

I hear you on the excercise of that long middle finger. Lucky for me I don't ride my bike alot so I have not had to do that yet. Now in my car is another story as I drive about 150 mile a day so my middle finger is built like Hulk Hogan from having to raise it and lower it so much. I think I actually lift weights with mine and shoot some steroids in it to make it bigger.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Berger

Check to see if your 03 has 64 pitch gears and if not then get them. They are much quieter than the 48s.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay ill check with our trackside shop about them.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the Integy gear set? I have a TA03F Pro that I am rebuilding and converting to a TA03R and since I have to rebuild the ball differentials I figured I might try those gears.

I am wondering if they are any different from the TA03F Pro gears. Integy says they are M60. I don't know if that is any different from the .4 module gears my car has.

Are there any ceramic diff balls available for the TA03F Pro?

Will the new Tamiya fluorine dampers fit the TA03? I can't stand these plastic shocks and the aluminum dampers that came on the TA03 TRF cars are more expensive than the fluorine dampers.

Eric
Old 10-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by WhiteLX
Has anyone tried the Integy gear set? I have a TA03F Pro that I am rebuilding and converting to a TA03R and since I have to rebuild the ball differentials I figured I might try those gears.

I am wondering if they are any different from the TA03F Pro gears. Integy says they are M60. I don't know if that is any different from the .4 module gears my car has.

Are there any ceramic diff balls available for the TA03F Pro?

Will the new Tamiya fluorine dampers fit the TA03? I can't stand these plastic shocks and the aluminum dampers that came on the TA03 TRF cars are more expensive than the fluorine dampers.

Eric
The .04 are like 64 pitch gear, and the do make a difference. I have 20-26 if you want to buy them. I upgraded to the 04R so I no longer need these gears.

As for diff balls visit: www.acerracing.com , the make ceramic diff balls for the 03.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:40 AM
Tech Regular

My understanding is I have the .4 module gears right now. They are the white gears. The Integy gears replace all the gears inside both transmissions with M60 gears. I am asking if .4 and M60 are the same, or is the M60 a finer pitch.

The gears in question: Integy M60 gears

Thanks for the info on the diff balls. Any other suggestions on lightening up the car and the drivetrain? I want to get the aramid belt and I already have the aluminum counter shafts. You know of any scources for the aramid belt and front one-way? Does Tamiya still have that stuff?

Anyone know if lower arms and carriers from a TA04, TB01 or any other car can be made to fit? I noticed the TA03 lower arms are very short compared to a lot of cars. Might have to go the LHS with a set of calipers someday.

Eric
Old 10-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Back with 03 again

Folks,

I just got a 03Dj edition from deal with a friend. the kit came partly built. This is my first time to have a 1way diff with the 03. I have started converting the thing into a 03r

The kit also came with a torque splitter unit. My question is, the blister pack instructions says I should use a 14tpulley on the reear and 16T in front (specified for the 03R). Won't this turn the car into a 2 wheel drive? I'm reaaly having doubts about this one, as I've seen how the speed is degraded using 2wd. Also the 14T pulley is missing but I do have a 15T, 16T and 17T. would it be okay if I just use the 15T and 17T combo?

The belt would still fit since I modified the chasis to shorten the car. I'll be using a Yokomo narrow belt fromt the mr4tc sedan. I'm also figuring a way to use sideXsides on the chassis and still be able to swap batteries as fast as with stick packs.

I'll post the pics after I'm done with the conversion....
Old 10-05-2003, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by WhiteLX
My understanding is I have the .4 module gears right now. They are the white gears. The Integy gears replace all the gears inside both transmissions with M60 gears. I am asking if .4 and M60 are the same, or is the M60 a finer pitch.

The gears in question: Integy M60 gears

Thanks for the info on the diff balls. Any other suggestions on lightening up the car and the drivetrain? I want to get the aramid belt and I already have the aluminum counter shafts. You know of any scources for the aramid belt and front one-way? Does Tamiya still have that stuff?

Anyone know if lower arms and carriers from a TA04, TB01 or any other car can be made to fit? I noticed the TA03 lower arms are very short compared to a lot of cars. Might have to go the LHS with a set of calipers someday.

Eric
I would take the .04 gear and the M60 gear a check the gear mesh or better yet just contact integy and they will let you know if it works. Tamiya still carry's the belt, as does Towerhobbies, and you can also find them on ebay. I have the Integy light weight suspension shaft and 03 swaybars if you are interested, let me now.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Back with 03 again

Originally posted by rough512
Folks,

I just got a 03Dj edition from deal with a friend. the kit came partly built. This is my first time to have a 1way diff with the 03. I have started converting the thing into a 03r

The kit also came with a torque splitter unit. My question is, the blister pack instructions says I should use a 14tpulley on the reear and 16T in front (specified for the 03R). Won't this turn the car into a 2 wheel drive? I'm reaaly having doubts about this one, as I've seen how the speed is degraded using 2wd. Also the 14T pulley is missing but I do have a 15T, 16T and 17T. would it be okay if I just use the 15T and 17T combo?

The belt would still fit since I modified the chasis to shorten the car. I'll be using a Yokomo narrow belt fromt the mr4tc sedan. I'm also figuring a way to use sideXsides on the chassis and still be able to swap batteries as fast as with stick packs.

I'll post the pics after I'm done with the conversion....
You would make the car either overdrive or underdrive depending on where you put the smaller pulley. Smaller pulley in the front would at as normal from a start than free will once up to speed with a one way install. Good turn in.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:37 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

I use to run the Integy gears a few years back. The diff gears are really thin and lightweight. I don't know if I would run this setup in mod but for stock it should be fine. Might work in mod as well but the newer motors make alot more power than when I ran mod with my 03 a few years back.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

rough512

On my TA03R TRF I use the 15T pulley on both front and back. On my TA03F I used 16T pulley on both front and back. If you are using the Tamiya Aramid Fiber, they will fix just right.

I am not sure about the integy gears, but I have the TOP speed tune gears, they look similar to the integy, I was able to use the .04 pinion gear with the TOP gear set. I was also thinking of getting the Integy gear set as a backup. I would have to agree with WYD that it should be okay to use with a stock motor, the TOP gears are really thin.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Tech Regular

I am not asking if my pinions will mesh. I can buy new pinions. I am asking if the gears inside the transmission case are a finer pitch.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:52 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

You really should use the whole set. I think they are a finer pitch (more like a 48 type pitch for all the gears except the main spur gear which is the finer 64 pitch that the pinion would ride on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.