Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks Max and I will let Mickey know I don't know his current setup but I am forwarding any info to him and appreciate the help
Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Does anyone know what kind of lipo clearance I can get from using a trf415msxx stick pack conversion? I tried using the search but it didn't yield any results. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
This question is for a friend of mine:
Can anyone help with some feedback on what to do when my 415 msxx has no rear traction on exit of the corner and no nothing is bent. He has also tried several spring and droop settings I mean a whole crap load of different variations. Please help we call his car a "The TT01 delux drift edition" We must help this man before he blows up his car with a grenade and could potentially hurt himself in the act. So if you have any feedback on rear traction issues, problems, remedys, and or suggestions please let her rip.

Thanks

P.S. He has about 40 sets of tires by 5 different manufactures so its not the tires

Use wider tire or lighten up the rear end of the car. Or maybe try it the vise versa. I am pretty sure it's the weight distrbution problem. try a different aero body too, it effect the weight distro at high speed. I heard a lot of trf416 guys have the same problem because the motor moved more rearward. good luck.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by andrew222
Does anyone know what kind of lipo clearance I can get from using a trf415msxx stick pack conversion? I tried using the search but it didn't yield any results. Thanks.
I seen people using 23mm height lipo after the conversion, but double check for sure.

The stock form can still fit a 18mm height airplane lipo perfectly, that's for sure.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Burlap
Ok, I found running more droop at the rear good for killing understeer on my 415. Interesting.

Also with the ball diffs, use Yokomo plates, carbon nitrate balls and use diff covers on them (I forget who make them again) and usually for 540 Pro or Stock you don't need to touch the diff again for ages. Mod is a different matter entirely.
DON'T OVER DO IT! SIMPSON
Old 04-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TryHard
Oh yeah, when was the last time he rebuilt his diff.... that has a huge impact on performance. Also make sure it's set correctly, tight enough to be locked, but not binding. Thankfully the alloy tamiya diffs are a breeze to get feeling nice, whilst still tight. Have a look at this document... it's for the 416, but still applies to the 415.

http://www.thard.co.uk/TRF416-Things2know.doc

Oh, and check the droop, should be running 5/4 f/r outdoors (set on a gauge off the chassis bottom, measured off underneath the outer hinge pins).

HiH
Ed
Nice Doc
Old 04-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey guys I'm the fence here. I trying to decide if I should go Lipo or not.

I run a Msx MRE. Front spool and in stock racing (27turn)

what I really want to know what the preference for you guy's. I know if I go lipo I will have to figure out how to rebalance the car again.

The real question Which is faster, more punch. I know the long term lipo. but I'm so undecided right now. I have to either NiHm or Lipo in the next week or so.

also Which Lipo hard pack actully fit the Msx Mre.

thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Rookie

go rebalance your car its worth it. Lipo has more punch and lipo will last longer compared to a 6cell nimh pack.

Speaking of lipos, does anyone know where I can find painfully cheap 4000mah-ish 15c 7.4v lipos that would fit in a trf415msxx (H:18mm L:135?)?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

I would use a hard cased lipo. the balance would be a little problem if you put it further out from the center, it may not be legal for some club race though. but your car can run 100g less without using the balance weight. give you the edge.

for the legal race, I would still use nimh because the weight is more concentrated. while everyone else have to fit into the minimal weight, it is where you place those weight which makes important to the car's handling.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

All of our club race, is required to make the 1525 gram weight minimum, yes that for all club race's we do.

So should I go Lipo or Stay with cells and go for the 4600 since their supposed to be much more robust and way more stable then the 42's .

I'm on the fence as we speak and really need to make a sound decision on which path I should venture down.

Cheers
Old 04-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

put the balancing weight on the inner side of the lipo
Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyrrus
All of our club race, is required to make the 1525 gram weight minimum, yes that for all club race's we do.

So should I go Lipo or Stay with cells and go for the 4600 since their supposed to be much more robust and way more stable then the 42's .

I'm on the fence as we speak and really need to make a sound decision on which path I should venture down.

Cheers
Well, IMO the answer really depends on how much work you're willing to do on your car. The only hardcased LiPo that will fit without modifying the chassis is Orion's 3200 Carbon(& it just BARELY squeezes in there, have to wedge it in at an angle at the rear bulkhead to get it in), & for racing, it just doesn't quite have the punch you need(I know because I tried it in mine, though I actually bought that pack for my M03R, which is also a tight fit). But SMC's new hard case packs have a LOT of punch, I have their 5000mah 28C pack & it runs EVERY bit as strong as the best NiMh's I've had, but the downside(besides the weight balancing issue) is the machining you have to do to the car. You have to cut away half of a T-shaped piece that joins the top deck to the rear bulkhead, & ALL of the right side bulkhead that normally hangs over the battery pack(the attached pic should make it clear, it's what I did to my 415MSX to fit the pack, & it does work, though the car does flex a bit more). As for any other packs, I have no personal experience with them, but I'm sure that you'd have to do pretty much the same things to fit them in the car.....
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-msxlipomod3.jpg  
Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zenithrr
I would use a hard cased lipo. the balance would be a little problem if you put it further out from the center, it may not be legal for some club race though. but your car can run 100g less without using the balance weight. give you the edge.

for the legal race, I would still use nimh because the weight is more concentrated. while everyone else have to fit into the minimal weight, it is where you place those weight which makes important to the car's handling.
I agree with this concerning NiMh's, but the convenience of the Lipo's sure is nice.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

folks, whats the difference between the 415msx and the msxx?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by part-time racer
folks, whats the difference between the 415msx and the msxx?
mainly chassis (2mm VS 2.5) and steering (MRE style vs old 415), 36T pulleys fitted as standard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.