Wiki Posts
Search

carpet racing history

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I forgot about Butch, lol. What year was that?

First comercially available car, do you mean gas or electric? And in a RTR package??
I didn't specify gas or electric on purpose... or RTR or kit. Just 1/12 scale...

Originally Posted by jag88
Anybody remember the Heathkit cars ? (or were they just local to Michigan ?)
I do. My very first RC car was the Heathkit Spectre powered by a Veco 19. Found it at a garage sale for $20 bucks, robbed my airplane of its two stick Kraft radio to get the car running. No electric starter, I used a leather shoelace in the v-groove of the flywheel to fire up the engine. By the time I got it I think the Veco was so clapped out I could run faster than the car, but it was BIG fun anyway. Loud, smelly, and best of all I was the first kid on the block to have one...

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
Jerobee - powered by the Cox .049 First electrics I saw were conversions of the Jerobee chassis using motor and batteries hijacked from a Black & Decker rechargeable grass trimmer.
Thats the winner... The Jerobee Comando. I saved paper route and dog walking money for what seemed like forever trying to get one (from AutoWorld in PA... anyone remember AutoWorld?? For that matter, remember actually SENDING AWAY for stuff? Long before the age of "Buy Now" and "ADD to Cart"??) when I found that Heathkit at the garage sale, I HAD to grab it.

WOW I feel ANCIENT right about now...
Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

WOW I feel ANCIENT right about now...[/QUOTE]

No sympathy from here on feeling ancient - I was at the 1977 worlds!!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Althought this has nothing to do with carpet history. I went to my local hobbyshop last week. A kid came in with his dad.They had and old Bolink sport 1/10th scale car with the actual wiper arm set-up (working) and 1200 Sanyo batteries. I believe the 12i chassis had the slices in the chassis for better traction. We did the same to our Leisure cars first.but they were fragile and I must have made plenty of spare chassis out of the Parma fiberglass sheets they sold in the hobbyshop. I could make two chassis out of one sheet.
I remember two local racers racing for MRP using that car.Also Parma used the Leisure rear motor pod on there Parma Panther 1/12th car.
Motors I've got my orginal Lesiure closed endbell motor. Leisure was the first company to have a open endbell motor with changeable brushes for electric racing. We used an electric airplane motor. But it was not ROAR legal but it was fast.Brushes were very hard to get. The hot motors were the Parma red can (Ferrari) modified.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Alright does anyone know when (Month and Year) and where the first ever US Indoor Championships were held and who sponsored this event? Also who won the Modified Class?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I remember the Heathkit cars,(and I'm located in the middle of Canada), the local hobby shop had one in the window in 1967, it had a bright orange 1966 Mustang body on it, hard plastic, i think the hood and doors would open. The same hobby shop had those Jerrobee cars, sadly, they had about 12 to 14 of them left and the guys in the shop took the crystals out and threw the cars out. I think one was saved, still in the box, for the big cost of $5.00.

I know on the electric side MRP was selling RTR cars in the early 80's comercially. GP12 with Futaba brown box setup.

And I even remember Rick Davis, and yeah, we are old, lol.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
Butch Kroells - Associated RC100
Nice Rick!!!

I think Re-Pete won in 87, although not sure. His dad introduced me to 1/12th scale electric racing. I still have the Competition Plus Magazine cover titled "Brooklyn Kid beats the World"....on the cover is Re-Pete Fusco, Pete Fusco, Steve O'Donnel and the fourth I believe was someone from Airtronics who helped with Re-Pete's win.

In NYC area, (80's-90's) the meca for 1/12th scale racing was every 2 weeks at a german beer garden / restaurant back room where the club laid out a temporary track...everyone helped set-up and tear-down. I do not think we used gray ozite...if I remember correctly, it was a rust color.

New racers had no choice but to start in a novice class and could only advance to expert when they won 2x novice mains. We all used modifed motors and throttle driving was needed to make 8 minutes.

There was nothing like being able to pull the trigger to cleanly pass slower cars.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

wow guys thanks for the great info I've been reading every bit of it since I posted it up.. Again thanks for sharing all your great memories I really wish i could go back in time and try to race back in the 80's (I've only been doing this since 96) we've really got it made with today's rc car standards.

lets try to keep this one going!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I remember my first carpet race in 1983, in Florence (IT). Most people used Asso RC12I, I raced with a lexan Gemini/SG/Phil-Greeno/Homemade, with igaraschi motor modified with "slot type" carbon.

Trivia on-topic: the first commercial ESC?

Leo
Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Nice Rick!!!

I think Re-Pete won in 87, although not sure. His dad introduced me to 1/12th scale electric racing. I still have the Competition Plus Magazine cover titled "Brooklyn Kid beats the World"....on the cover is Re-Pete Fusco, Pete Fusco, Steve O'Donnel and the fourth I believe was someone from Airtronics who helped with Re-Pete's win.

In NYC area, (80's-90's) the meca for 1/12th scale racing was every 2 weeks at a german beer garden / restaurant back room where the club laid out a temporary track...everyone helped set-up and tear-down. I do not think we used gray ozite...if I remember correctly, it was a rust color.

New racers had no choice but to start in a novice class and could only advance to expert when they won 2x novice mains. We all used modifed motors and throttle driving was needed to make 8 minutes.

There was nothing like being able to pull the trigger to cleanly pass slower cars.

Carl - you are correct 1985 was Rody Roem in Japan
Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Its smells strangely of ben gay and geritol in here. lol
Old 01-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We were organizing some boxes of stuff in storage today. I found this. This thread was on my mind, and I said, "hold up, I gotta get a pic of this, it's topical right now". Box is about a foot deep with stuff. Looks like a combination of TRC cars and parts from about 1985-1991.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Bob I still have the original decal sheets for the Pro12 and the Pro10 TRC cars.

The speedo question is tough to answer as I know that Jomac had this monster sized electronic speedo, but I wouldn't really call it a race type speedo. The Delta/Tekin Autodrive was very early, I think before the Novak came out so thats my guess.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Speedo?

Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i respect any man who knows his G connectors. thats killer man. didnt see the TRC stuff on the front page hot deals though...

R
Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Actually Kent won the first ever 12th World's (stock) with a prototype 12i. Associated even ran ad's with pic's of the car through the early 90's. It used an orange Novak servo with a chassis stiffener that was bolted to the chassis with plastic lock nuts (the production ones used a piece of kydex that you glued to the chassis). The 12i was my all time favorite race car until the DB12RR. It was truly a race and forget car, although it lacked some of the steering of the Super Phaser it was nowhere as tempermental which was important for someone who didn't read/know suspension theory and have tons of money to practice and test consistently...hey wait a minute, I STILL don't know a lot about suspension theory.

Art C. won the first ever 12th mod title with the prototype Super Phaser that they had just created shortly before the event. If I am not mistaken Kevin Orton himself made the finals in one of the events (stock/mod) with the other prototype.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.