Wiki Posts
Search

carpet racing history

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default carpet racing history

I've tried searching a couple sites but came up with no luck. I just wanted to know a little history info behind carpet racing..

1)what era did carpet racing start?
2)why Ozite(felt) carpet instead of an other surface (besides good traction) for indoors?
3)what was the original classes when carpet racing came abouts?
4)why 4-cell in 12th scale and was there ever 6-cell on carpet(if so what time frame)?
5) when and who started the first tc class for carpet?

hmm thats all i call think of right now feel free to fill in any more great history facts.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:58 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I can answer the 1/12th stuff - There was 6 cell, for many many years from the 80's - late 90's and even into the early '00. The Cars were leathally fast in Mod, and with the advent of better NiMH cells and the need to cut costs and slow the cars down 4 cell was made the standard (they are still ballisticly fast in Mod).

4 cell reduced tire wear, parts breakage (due to lower speeds and much lower weight) and cost for batteries. Look at a AE chassis up to a 12L3 and see they have 6 battery slots.

And now the next evolution of batteries is around the corner (probably a year out for full adoption) of a single cell LiPo, then probably A123 Cells are the next jump.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The first ROAR On-road Nationals, 1987 on Carpet and in Hotel ( Marriot?) by the airport in Orlando.Racing only 1/12th stock and modified 6 cell. Race director was Lance Reynolds( not sure about the last name.). Ran into him several years ago.At the event was in one of the Mod mains like C the carpet came up and half the field went under the carpet before they could stop the race.They also had motor- chassis seminars before the race by the different manufacturers. You could ask questions and if you were lucky you had the chance to win the winning motor from the A main. It was a random draw. I got Rick Hohwart( the beginning of Peak Performance motors) and he won the event. I can still call him today and he knows who I am.I've still got the motor on the shelf. Actually I let him keep the orginal and I got a new copy. It was well used and I ran for Peak for several years.

Last edited by BullFrog; 01-05-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Carpet racing in both the US and Europe started in the late 70's fueled by clubs running 12th scale electric. The Europeans ran 6 cell while the US ran 4 cell on carpet, seemingly due to space considerations, as six cell 12th scale in the U.S. was still primarily an outdoor asphalt event. The exception to that statement being the two ROAR 6 cell 12th Nat's that ran on carpet in the later 80's, one in Michigan and the other in Florida.

ROAR did not officially adopt the 12th 4 cell carpet class until late in the game (early 90's) which is how/why Cleveland and some other big indoor carpet races that later became the Triple Crown series became the meca's that they were. These races were the 12th 4 cell racers "nats" and were more important to us than the ROAR 6 cell National title that was usually run on asphalt.

It should be noted if I am not mistaken that somewhere between 78'-82' (80' I do believe) Roar did hold a one time additional CLASS at their normal Nat's for 12th 4 cell Carpet which Joel Johnson won. After that event ROAR never ran another class for 12th 4 cell Carpet at their Nats until the event was annually added in the early 90's. This left 6 cell as the only ROAR Nationals event for 12th scale.

The reason that 4 cell carpet started was due to the Mid-West/East Coast winters as clubs lead the charge (there were very few permanent tracks back then). Ozite gave good traction and was easy to roll up for storage since club racing back then was typically only twice a month. In fact the company that used to make/sell the carpet is only 10mi from my house in Naperville.

Thus about 50% of the country has pretty much always raced 4 cell 12th scale on carpet even though it was not officially recognized with a National event by Roar until the early 90's. This created a sort of rivalry between the Mid-West/East Coast 12th 4 cell carpet racers and the 6 cell 12th outdoor asphalt racers on the West Coast and in the Southern States. Usually each region prevailing on their home turf when the two racer types collided. LOL! During the summer the Mid-West/East Coast did run 6 cell 12th like the West Coast and Southern States up until the mid 80's when it faded from existence for them as 12th 4 cell carpet was their real racing scene during the long winters.

As for TC it moved from an outdoor asphalt scene into replacing the 10th scale pan car class around 97' which had been the additional on-road class to 12th scale 4 cell. HTH's.

Last edited by darnold; 01-04-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

From my personal experiences, I started carpet oval racing in the late 80's(around 88 or 89). We had a permanent oval in a shopping mall and ran on the carpet that was there. From what I was told, osite came into being because most of the carpet available back then has what was called a nap to it. You would get good traction going one way and then no traction going back the other way. Osite made the traction consistant all the way around.

We switched from 6 cell to 4 cell to get the cars under control. We found that after a little adjusting, the 4 cell car had the same overall speed, but was more controllable on acceleration. Less punch. Easier to drive especially for the beginner.It was a tough transition and a lot of us fought it, but it was the best thing for the hobby overall. I am hoping this single lipo takes hold, it will be good for the hobby, in my opinion of course.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by darnold
Carpet racing in both the US and Europe started in the late 70's fueled by clubs running 12th scale electric. The Europeans ran 6 cell while the US ran 4 cell on carpet, seemingly due to space considerations, as six cell 12th scale in the U.S. was still primarily an outdoor asphalt event. The exception to that statement being the two ROAR 6 cell 12th Nat's that ran on carpet in the later 80's, one in Michigan and the other in Florida.

ROAR did not officially adopt the 12th 4 cell carpet class until late in the game (early 90's) which is how/why Cleveland and some other big indoor carpet races that later became the Triple Crown series became the meca's that they were. These races were the 12th 4 cell racers "nats" and were more important to us than the ROAR 6 cell National title that was usually run on asphalt.

It should be noted if I am not mistaken that somewhere between 78'-82' (80' I do believe) Roar did hold a one time additional CLASS at their normal Nat's for 12th 4 cell Carpet which Joel Johnson won. After that event ROAR never ran another class for 12th 4 cell Carpet at their Nats until the event was annually added in the early 90's. This left 6 cell as the only ROAR Nationals event for 12th scale.

The reason that 4 cell carpet started was due to the Mid-West/East Coast winters as clubs lead the charge (there were very few permanent tracks back then). Ozite gave good traction and was easy to roll up for storage since club racing back then was typically only twice a month. In fact the company that used to make/sell the carpet is only 10mi from my house in Naperville.

Thus about 50% of the country has pretty much always raced 4 cell 12th scale on carpet even though it was not officially recognized with a National event by Roar until the early 90's. This created a sort of rivalry between the Mid-West/East Coast 12th 4 cell carpet racers and the 6 cell 12th outdoor asphalt racers on the West Coast and in the Southern States. Usually each region prevailing on their home turf when the two racer types collided. LOL! During the summer the Mid-West/East Coast did run 6 cell 12th like the West Coast and Southern States up until the mid 80's when it faded from existence for them as 12th 4 cell carpet was their real racing scene during the long winters.

As for TC it moved from an outdoor asphalt scene into replacing the 10th scale pan car class around 97' which had been the additional on-road class to 12th scale 4 cell. HTH's.
This pretty much sums it up correctly.

It is interesting to know that the first carpet tracks were not as they are now - carpet laid on a board base. When I first raced in Cleveland in 1984, the carpet was laid straight on top of the ballroom carpet floor. This made the surface very soft and was hard on run time. Also, the carpet was not laid down in even side by side rows to hide the seam. The straight was once piece of carpet, then anpother would be laid down to make the turn, then another for the short chute etc. So the track was very bumpy as you went up and down the seams
Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart

It is interesting to know that the first carpet tracks were not as they are now - carpet laid on a board base. When I first raced in Cleveland in 1984, the carpet was laid straight on top of the ballroom carpet floor. This made the surface very soft and was hard on run time. Also, the carpet was not laid down in even side by side rows to hide the seam. The straight was once piece of carpet, then anpother would be laid down to make the turn, then another for the short chute etc. So the track was very bumpy as you went up and down the seams
Thats why Associated and Delta came out with the mono-shock front ends. And yes it was the Orlando Marriot for the 87 nats, 86 had the 1/12th Worlds in Las Vegas on rug as well, but there where carpet races earlier than that, again, it just depended on what part of the country you where from.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We should start a 12i class, where everyone has to run a TOJ body and 32 pitch gears!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Ozite was used because the static electricity in regular carpet would mess up your ESC.Ozite did not have nylon in it.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
We should start a 12i class, where everyone has to run a TOJ body and 32 pitch gears!
And make everyone run a sealed endbell Igarashi motor. LOL. I think its been done already.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been racing since 87 and used 6 cell 1200mah stick packs in my first 12th scale car, a tamiya 956 porsche. cars were designed to use them back then. the 12E did and the 12I that I bought in 88 also used stick packs. then Gil Losi helped with the design of the 12L which went to saddle packs, which I bought 89. most other companies had gone to a saddle pack setup about that time. I was running 4cell mod onroad and oval in 90 in Michigan. the oval track that I ran at did allow 6cell stock in the 12th oval class though. a Joel johnson 27t stock with 6 cell would blow away a 15t mod motor with 4cell on the 80' oval with 2' center. I guess about 88 89 was the last time I used 6 cells in 12th. even when I moved down to Nashville Area in 92 they ran 4 cell only down here.

for the love of 12th scale
Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart

Bud had video of that race that he was playing at Cleveland this year. Must have been more work to corner marshal back then, as a lot of you were "skinnier" on the video...

6-cell 1/12th stock was a great class. I thought the cars were easier to drive with the extra weight. I kinda miss that class now that you bring it up.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Ike
Tech Master

You guys forgot all the duct tape! I don't know what I liked more as a kid, the trophies for winning or the massive ball of duct tape I could build by helping to tear the track down after a race.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Thats why Associated and Delta came out with the mono-shock front ends.
You got me thinking about a few cars that I need to finish restoring. Both have that front end. I just went and looked, found the massive box with all the little bits in them... no instructions... I put it all back in the box for "later"...
Old 01-06-2009, 02:00 AM
Tech Champion

I've got a Detla 1/12th mono front end all put together in a bag. Maybe I'll put in on my Delta car sitting on the shelf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.