Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mok
here's my first real effort at an F1 body shell..
i'm sure the purists amongst you will spot the differences (there are 3 i know of, can you find them all?)

-Mark
Nice looking car,differences or not it's very convincing
Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

lol you've all come up with more than i thought..
talk about attention to detail !!

the 3 main things wrong that i knew of were..

- front wing, sides should be painted the same colour of the body
- rear wing, lower section should also be same colour as body
- the autocar decal i forgot to fix lol, that should say "carglass"

here's a pic of the real F1 i was looking at for inspiration..
http://fingerprint.typepad.com/.a/6a...3d9d970c-800wi

there are still some minor things i want to do like add the #16 decals to the front wing and remove the tamiya decals..
oh and it also needs sponsor logos on the wheels as well..
the helmet i cbf painting the proper two tone colour, prob should have i guess

overall, i'm glad i went to the extra effort on this body shell

-mark

ps. the body shell is a chevron one and the instructions are not in english and it was making some reference to the rear wing..
it looked like something to do with the middle part of the wing and maybe removing it or moving it...
any ideas?????????
Old 05-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mok

ps. the body shell is a chevron one and the instructions are not in english and it was making some reference to the rear wing..
it looked like something to do with the middle part of the wing and maybe removing it or moving it...
any ideas?????????
You are right about the instructions,but you dont have to remove the center of the wing.just use it as is,The Chevron wings are good wings.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

CROSS, let us know how your aero under body works. I have tried something similar in the past with good results.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
CROSS, let us know how your aero under body works. I have tried something similar in the past with good results.
I just got back from driving. There was a noticeable improvement. I was able to get on the throttle much quicker and sometimes even stay on throttle all the way through corners. I used some clay to add weight in the front around the front body post, knowing the aero effect would benefit the rear the most. The car felt very balanced. It did push in higher speed corners but with the added down force you could use braking effectively. When the car would brake loose it was more of a four wheel slide than just the back snapping around. Before the new effects I could be at half throttle and punch it and the car would spin around(13.5t motor). Now it spins the tires but keeps going straight.

I will try and get some of the video I took posted later.

Edit: I was just looking at video from last week and the video I shot today. The track this week was similar but the two straights were a little longer with tighter corners at the end of them. Other turns on the track were also on the tighter side. The lap times were very close with my fastest lap being today.

Last edited by CR0SS; 05-22-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

BP SHADOW......you have a PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Ferrari vs. Jordan

I like how Gerhard Berger's helmet is tilted while turning in to the corner.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Here is video from yesterday.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Not sure if my driving really shows the effects of the enclosed underbody or not. I do know I noticed a difference in how the car handled vs before with just the rear pod enclosed. I looked closer at the two tracks I layed out. I kept them very similar except yesterdays main straight was about 5' longer and the corner at the end was a tighter radius(~7'vs 9'). The curved straight was also around 5' longer. Some of the tighter corners I squared them off instead of just having a marker at the apex. With the changes on the track and having similar and faster laps times I think the changes to the car helped. Also the long round corner at the end of the straight I could hold a tighter line without out braking then I could on the larger radius turn from last week. Now I need to get better at my lines and stop worrying about hitting the basketball hoop poles.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

I dont think that track would really show the advantage of it. Needs more sweepers and high speed corners.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

The fact I could feel a difference on that track tells me it will do even more on higher speed tracks. The video does not show the two larger radius turns on the track very well. Those are where I noticed I could carry more speed into the corner while holding a tighter line without braking than I could before.

One of the things I like most about the feel now is how balanced the car is. My friend drove it in an asphalt parking lot yesterday and was very surprised at the amount of rear grip for being a 2wd car with a 13.5t motor. I was thinking about getting a 17.5t motor before but now I feel like it can use the 13.5.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The Tamiya F201 has been a car I have wanted since it first came out and I never got a chance to get one back then. I was out of RC for a few years and just got back into it this year and came across one that while was used. It had some parts on it that made it worth getting and enough spares to build x2 and possibly x3 cars. So what started off as this:

Then after some browsing on the internet I ordered all this:

After some assembly we have this:

I've tried to get everything I could for it. Some of the harder to get stuff was:

FPM alloy arms
FPM carbon brace kit (which I haven't used all of as I can't work out where some of the pieces go since I don't have the instructions)
3racing alloy uprights
Tobee threaded shocks (I didn't fit them in the end as I didn't like the amount of shaft play in it)
Tobee spur adaptor (I've fitted a 21.5 d3 in it and the 49t spur is a bit too small to get the ratio I want. I'll have to find myself some spurs (50t-53t) before I fit it)

It has been raining though since I finished so I haven't been able to drive it anywhere outside of the garage. I'm still working on the body though so will post pictures of that when it is done.

I was surprised it was only 30g heavier than my xray t3 '11 without a battery. But with a battery because it can't fit square packs and I have to use the batteries from my mini it ends up being 40-50g lighter in the end.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

Ya missed the FPM rocker arm braces and FPM bearing braces to replace the plastic gear cover Great looking car though...pretty close to what I used to run in the F201 days.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

I didn't know they existed! I'll somehow have to try find them. Don't like my chances though.

EDIT: Can't even find a picture of them so if anyone has one that would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

I still have the rocker arm braces in stock but no more of the bearing brace.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

Actually. Isn't the bearing brace just those two metal braces either side of the spur? (see picture 2) It was one of the parts I used from the used car (as it had the fpm goodies). I just assumed they were used from another car but they must be the fpm ones then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.