Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New here and new to rc......

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I started out in TC with a TC5. Its a great car with top of the line parts and performace at a good price. I also started with a brushless system and just standard NIMH batteries that I built up into packs. I am using my Spektrum 2.4GHz radio that I have for a off road truck. I just bought a second hand receiver for the second car.

A kit car will cost significantly more than a RTR but if you want a custom Ferrari instead of a stock BMW then its going to cost more that's the plain facts.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

There is also a book available by XXXmain. It's a touring car setup guide. I found it to be extremely helpful when I first started out. You can find them on ebay, not sure where else.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Welcome to the hobby/sport of RC. Listen, as a newbie, just read up on things, pick up a few magazines every now and then, and FREQUENTLY visit the RC-Tech forums like you are now. Head over to the track and check out some races if you're planning to race. Don't let all the rocket science talk confuse or intimdate ya... RTRs these days are WAY better than they were when I first got into RC. They're made by quality companies. Most of the RTR kits are upgradable, so you can add on the factory or racing upgrades as your skills improve. Associated gets an A+ on tech support.

* You'll get huge information and great responses here, but If you're planning to race, there is NO forum, magazine, or any type of advice that can measure up to actual "Practice, and on track experience"...Lap time is paramount.

* Invest your money wisely and check your local rc tracks to see what classes are racing there. A few of the popular classes right now are:
Vintage Trans Am racing (Vintage TA) (electric)...on road
8th scale Buggy (Nitro) ...Offroad
Traxxas Slash (electric)...Offroad

Look into these and other classes. Youtube is the best place to get good video footage of most any RC class going. Plenty of Vintage TA, Slash, and 8th scale Buggy footage on Youtube.

Welcome and good luck!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

TC4 RTR would be a good way to enter the hobby. It is a durable car and parts should be easy to find. Shares drive train with the TC3 and diff cases with the Nitro TC3 so you shouldn't have any problems finding those parts either.

As others have said, invest in a good battery charger. If you are going to with lipo batteries only, look for a charger that is fool-proof for charging lipo batteries.

Resist the urge to initially spend a bunch of money on upgrading tghe car you buy. Save that money for practice/races fees, tires, replacement parts. Parts that can make the car more durable are a plus - like nerf wings or wider plastic front bumper or bigger foam bumper. Don't buy unnecessary aluminum parts for the TC4 as they can be expensive.

Once you have become familiar with the hobby and are ready to upgrade, consider buying used. Once you know how to setup and repair whatever you buy, you can find a good deal on a used car and will be able to repair it if necessary. If you decide to buy something current/new, try to see if other people are racing it locally. By racing a similar car you can share setups and parts if needed.

Above all remember that a good driver with average equipment car will normally beat a novice driver with the best equipment.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If you get a TC4, do yourself a favor and get RPM ball ends I see so many people at our local track with them and they pop off ball ends left and right with the stock ones.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC4 Rider
There is also a book available by XXXmain. It's a touring car setup guide. I found it to be extremely helpful when I first started out. You can find them on ebay, not sure where else.
You can find it at Towerhobbies.com

Great book!!!