Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-02

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by dsrbltoys
I gottcha. I did recognize the voice. I was pretty busy though. I also got the email. did you recieve the messege back.

TB02 is great. I have run 4 of these cars. I currently have one setup for gt3, and one (EVOIII/S) converted to TB running in GT1.

Pretty standard setup.
Ft 5mm
Rr 5.5mm
gold springs (or yellow)
50wt ft
40wt rr
ft a little droop. rr a little more.
2 deg camber all around
GT3 one degree uprights in rear
GT1 two degree upright in rear
A blocks all around
upper link front inner +5mm inner (middle hole)
upper link rear inner maybe +.5mm (middle hole) upper inner on upright.

Tire and insert of choice per track.
kevin.. not to bust your chops.. but how do i exactly measure droop so that i have "a little up front" and "a little more" in the rear? is there a yokomo or tamiya gauge or something?
Old 01-19-2005, 04:47 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally posted by adavid
Adam,

Thanks for the reply. I think we actually met this past Saturday at RCO. I may be mistaken. I was the guy running the red Ferrari body in GTO and trying to stay out of everyone's way. I'll be interested to see how much your TB-02 weighs. I didn't realize the EVO IV wasn't super light right out of the box.

Andy
Hey AAndy. Not sure what my TB-02 weighs or my EVO. I didn't pay much attention when they weighed my EVO and I already know that my TB-02 is a sled!!!!!!! But a great handling sled!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My fairly stock TB02 weighed in at 1540 with a 1400 battery, and sway bars F&R ESC was a Novak TC2
Old 01-20-2005, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

OK,

Brian, what's up? I know you're a big TB-02 advocate, regardless of how sled-like it may or may not be. If you ever get a weight comparison between it and your Evo IV, I'd be curious to hear the verdict. ford_racing, that's good to know. Thanks. I was contemplating ways to lighten the car up, but it may not be worth the trouble until I'm a better driver. Barring the obvious titanium screws and links or a lighter servo, I was considering the following low/no cost ideas:

1. Remove stock batter strap and metal mounts and use a couple of pieces of strapping tape instead. I believe I saw a picture of TB-02 being run like this from the '04 Tamiya worlds.

2. Attach the upper camber links to the carbon shock towers (mine have the "wings" with the attachment holes), remove the aluminum Surikarn upper mounts and replace them with the lighter plastic mounts.

3. Remove the motor's clip-on heat sink. I know heat is bad, etc. I figure the aluminum motor mount is good for some dissipation, though.

4. Take off the SSG bottom chassis stiffener. IMO, I don't think it's doing that much, other than looking cool.

Anyone try any of these things?

Andy
Old 01-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

To use the strapping tape you'd probably haver to slot the chassis so the tape could pass through it (unless I am totally off). That's a big no-no for tcs in gt2/3.

Make sure your drivetrain is super-free. I had to work quite awhile on mine to free it up.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Adam,

You're right. I wasn't thinking of slotting the chassis. I was inspired by a picture here:

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/rc/twc/result00.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the winner's car in each class. The TB-02 has a stick pack held in with some tape. That guy probably doesn't run into as many things as I do though.

Andy
Old 01-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

PIIHB,

What did you do to free up the drivetrain?

If this has been covered, please point me to right section.

Thanks a lot,

Charley
Old 01-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Post TB02R

has anyone had there hands on the R version yet? I would be interested to see if the new graphite top plates stiffen the car or if this is just for bling?

drive train:

blow out the bearing with motor spray...or use the Integy cleaner and let them clean for several hours and take care not to shim the gears to tight when building.

I have also heard of a few people that run-in the drive train with a power supply for several hour to get the gears seated...always lots of voo doo when dealing wiht the lower powered classes.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Andy, I got it now It would be worth a try.

Charles-What madjack said plus I had to grind the gearcases where the bearing sits. Also one of the front swaybar/bumper mount screws may hit the diff gear. That was my main problem.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:33 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally posted by adavid
OK,

Brian, what's up? I know you're a big TB-02 advocate, regardless of how sled-like it may or may not be. If you ever get a weight comparison between it and your Evo IV, I'd be curious to hear the verdict. ford_racing, that's good to know. Thanks. I was contemplating ways to lighten the car up, but it may not be worth the trouble until I'm a better driver. Barring the obvious titanium screws and links or a lighter servo, I was considering the following low/no cost ideas:

1. Remove stock batter strap and metal mounts and use a couple of pieces of strapping tape instead. I believe I saw a picture of TB-02 being run like this from the '04 Tamiya worlds.

2. Attach the upper camber links to the carbon shock towers (mine have the "wings" with the attachment holes), remove the aluminum Surikarn upper mounts and replace them with the lighter plastic mounts.

3. Remove the motor's clip-on heat sink. I know heat is bad, etc. I figure the aluminum motor mount is good for some dissipation, though.

4. Take off the SSG bottom chassis stiffener. IMO, I don't think it's doing that much, other than looking cool.

Anyone try any of these things?

Andy
Leave the heat sink on and the graphite stiffener on the bottom of the chassis. The other ideas are much better decisions on ways to lighten up the car. I will have to weigh both my cars with rubber tires next time I go to RCO. Might be their this weekend since the snow is going to be bad and it is about an hour closer than Mimi's. Not driving two hours or so in the snow to race anything!!!!!!!!! Checked the weather report for Gaithersburg and it is not really good. Snow to start around noon time and snow all day til Sunday sometime.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:35 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

adavid you could use the aluminum cvd's from Tamiya alog witht he Titanium axles (this will save some weight but not the cheapest thing to do but I want to get mine setup like that down the road.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm interested in getting into the RC world and want a project while I'm house sitting for the next 4 months. Is the TB-02 a good chassis for a person who wants to mod a car to go pretty quick (like to get something up to like 40-50mph if I could just as a goal, not that its usefull when racing because I know the gearing would have to be really high), and maybe get into weekend racing a local shop at some point. Mostly I'm looking for something that will keep my interest for a while and have a lot of hop up parts that I can put on to keep the fun going. I'm not looking to spend a ton of cash up front because this is more of a toy than anything else and you can get pretty good deals on the TB-02 on ebay from what I've seen so what do you guys think? I'm looking for something that will be difficult or time consuming to put together to because I want it to be a project that takes up a lot of my time. Thanks for the help for a rookie.

Last edited by Bilybobjef; 01-20-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally posted by Bilybobjef
I'm interested in getting into the RC world and want a project while I'm house sitting for the next 4 months. Is the TB-02 a good chassis for a person who wants to mod a car to go pretty quick (like to get something up to like 40-50mph if I could just as a goal, not that its usefull when racing because I know the gearing would have to be really high), and maybe get into weekend racing a local shop at some point. Mostly I'm looking for something that will keep my interest for a while and have a lot of hop up parts that I can put on to keep the fun going. I'm not looking to spend a ton of cash because this is more of a toy than anything else and you can get pretty good deals on the TB-02 on ebay from what I've seen so what do you guys think? I'm looking for something that will be difficult or time consuming to put together to because I want it to be a project that takes up a lot of my time. Thanks for the help for a rookie.
With the right motor and gearing, this car should reach close to those speeds...But why is that important?? if you want something for pure straightline speed, but an electric drag car - not a touring car...

Once you start hopping up the car, it will get expensive...Most of the hop-ups available don't do anything to enhance the performance of the vehicle...95% of the crap out there is for show and not go....

The car should take you 3-4 days TOPS to build...Tamiya cars are some of the easiest to build in the world...The last Tamiya car I built (F201) took about 3-4 hours to complete....
Old 01-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Oh I'm not looking for the car to take 4 months to build. Just something I can build and modify and enjoy for a long period of time without racing possibly. I just want the car to go fast in a straight line for fun but not just be a drag car. Is this something that can compete if I do choose to get into racing though or is there a better similar cost chassis that has more potential?

I know it will get expensive over time as I do hop ups but I'm just worried about the initial cost because I don't have a ton of money I can use for this right away.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by Bilybobjef
have a lot of hop up parts that I can put on to keep the fun going.

I'm not looking to spend a ton of cash because this is more of a toy than anything else
your two statements above conflict... TB-02 has a TON OF HOPUPS. but its gonna cost you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.