Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We will consider barrel/bullet style connectors when we release boat packs but for now our car packs will continue to have wires and connectors which allow the racer to hardwire which is better than bullet connectors. With a connector there is also no chance of plugging backwords.

Last edited by Danny/SMC; 08-18-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by MOTHER FOCAR
danny i'm real curious about the oval testing..

can your guy try a 8.5 or 7.5 motor in his oval car with your new pack>

i wonder if that combo would mimic the current 4 cell 10.5 times we are running today.

thanks bill
Early tests indicate that 13.5 single cell is slightly faster than 4 cell 17.5 on an oval track with 155 ft driving line. So my guess 7.5 single cell would be close to 10.5 four cell.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

i think the single cell lipo gives the oval racer a ton of options and speeds from real slow 21.5 3.7volts to 19 turn speeds 7.5 3.7 volts

maybe the powers that be will think about the 3.7 path instead of 7.4?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Rookie

i think the single cell lipo gives the oval racer a ton of options and speeds from real slow 21.5 3.7volts to 19 turn speeds 7.5 3.7 volts

I couldn't agree more! Ever since a friend e-mailed me a link to this thread, I've had "visions of sugar plums dancing in my head!"

I want to keep my 2cell also. I can have my cake and eat it too.

I really like cake!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Single cell would help all of the 4 cell classes.

I really like the idea of running a slow beginner class that doesn't have the hastle of silver can motors. People that want to go "fast" can simply choose a faster class. New racers need to have a class to learn in before moving up.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

i really like the 3.7 volt stuff,,, even tho we will need a flight pack.
12th.. & 10th pan cars. so wheres my roar legal packs for my R5's?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
Single cell would help all of the 4 cell classes.

I really like the idea of running a slow beginner class that doesn't have the hastle of silver can motors. People that want to go "fast" can simply choose a faster class. New racers need to have a class to learn in before moving up.
Absolutely Fred. You and I have had this discusion in person, but I am really glad to see other like minded guys out there.Not only would it be more fun from a competition/ racing standpoint, but also think of the cash you would save on tires running single cell 21.5. I have heard so many people say that touring car is out of control due to the speeds in stock, maybe 21.5 should be investigated there to help bring things back into perspective.Like fred said if you want to go fast , look into a different class. Pan cars are the most simple cars in r/c racing which makes them a great place for beginners in on road to learn to tune, but with the speeds our 4 cell stock classes run at it is impossible for a beginner to get excited about because it cost them an arm and leg in broken parts before they ever get to really learn how to tune a car.single cell with either a 17.5 or even a 21.5 could really peak beginner interest in iether 1/10 or 1/12 pan classes.Maybe even to the point of pre touring car era.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I think that I am going to run 3.6v in my T-plate. This'll be interesting to do.

I am going to build my own "saddle" pack, so it'll fit my 12L4. I am going to be using 6 x 700mah lipos in parrallel, These are the cells i will be using: Link

The packs will be re-arranged to do 6 in parrallel, creating a 4200 mah pack. 3 cells will be stacked on each other on each side. Standard mounting tape will be used to mount them. It will go something like the attached picture.

I'm going to use a Sidewinder Esc, its LVC can be programmed to 3v, and should be great for this application other than size (the ESC has a large footprint). I am going to start with a novak 7.5. I do not plan on trying to make an equivelancy to 27t or 19t, but just want to test the concept for now.

I do not know if my electronics will be able to run off 3.6v, so i will strap on a 4 cell nimh Rx pack initially. I do have plans however, for some sort of means of eliminating this pack, whether it be from the main pack, or from an inverter.

I look forward to working on this, and seeing the potential. I dont like Nimh, but an stuck with it in 1/12th. I'd like to help make it an even easier class to run!

Edit: The pictures suck, they're from my phone. They're actually OK for a camera phone, but still...
Attached Thumbnails SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo-0818082143-00.jpg   SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo-0818082143-01.jpg   SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo-0818082145-00.jpg  
Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Is there a way to get around the use of a receiver pack?
Yes you will need a DC-DC convertor. 1.5A 5V should work fine and are the size of a quarter

There used to be some "ANYVOLT" converters but this one is smaller. Just need to stack a few together to get at least 1.5A output. Dont forget the capacitor. EBAY

It won't be long before Castle or someone else makes a Single Cell BEC.

Last edited by trailranger; 08-18-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Okay, here's my take on the Single vs. 2s debate. If we go with single cells, then all the brushless motors you currently have in your box for Off-Road, TC, Oval etc. are still usable in 12th scale. 380 size micro gear puts you in the predicament of having to buy all new gear for your 12th scaler. This class is growing, and one of the reasons it's so accessible is because you can take gear you already have and drop it in the car and go racing. Cross class compatibility is essential imo. Secondly, as FredB and 2wdMod have stated, would it reallly be that bad an idea to slow these things down a bit for the novice, and reflexively challenged racer?

Companies are already producing regulators for 2s rx packs, perhaps Novak could come up with a cost effective device to step the voltage up to servo acceptable levels?
Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

all i need is a couple new SMC 5.7Ah 1C Li-po's (with barell conectors built in to the case)
Old 08-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigshades
I think that I am going to run 3.6v in my T-plate. This'll be interesting to do.

I am going to build my own "saddle" pack, so it'll fit my 12L4. I am going to be using 6 x 700mah lipos in parrallel, These are the cells i will be using: Link

The packs will be re-arranged to do 6 in parrallel, creating a 4200 mah pack. 3 cells will be stacked on each other on each side. Standard mounting tape will be used to mount them. It will go something like the attached picture.

I'm going to use a Sidewinder Esc, its LVC can be programmed to 3v, and should be great for this application other than size (the ESC has a large footprint). I am going to start with a novak 7.5. I do not plan on trying to make an equivelancy to 27t or 19t, but just want to test the concept for now.

I do not know if my electronics will be able to run off 3.6v, so i will strap on a 4 cell nimh Rx pack initially. I do have plans however, for some sort of means of eliminating this pack, whether it be from the main pack, or from an inverter.

I look forward to working on this, and seeing the potential. I dont like Nimh, but an stuck with it in 1/12th. I'd like to help make it an even easier class to run!

Edit: The pictures suck, they're from my phone. They're actually OK for a camera phone, but still...

Good idea! i mean these cars are still subject to minimum weight right?

What about doing 2 of the cells inthe pack up with a servo lead for 7.4 rx power. And leaving 4 for the main power. Would only be 2800mah for power left though...
Old 08-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Good idea! i mean these cars are still subject to minimum weight right?

What about doing 2 of the cells inthe pack up with a servo lead for 7.4 rx power. And leaving 4 for the main power. Would only be 2800mah for power left though...
My LHS doesnt have minimum weight req's, but again i'm not trying to race equivelant at the moment. When i can get things working the way i like, i'll work on making equivelancies.

Unfortunatly, my Sidewinder ESC doesnt allow me to program a cuttoff at 3v, because it will not function at 3 volts!!! So i cant use this particular ESC. I have tried a G11 ESC though, and it apears to function at 3v (no cuttoff though).

I have come up with a good idea for eliminating complex electronics, or an entire RX pack. The lovely thing about batteries is that you can put them in series, and increase voltage. Did anyone ever think of mixing lipo and Nimh Together? Look at the attached diagram.

I can leave 6 lipo's in parrallel, have them hooked up to the ESC. Then i can add the single Nimh cell (400 mah) in series with the lipo's, creating a 4.8v source for the reciever and servo.

I am going to use a 400mah nimh I found laying around, its pretty small, and i can easily mount it somewhere. Now my electronics will function, and i only added a single cell, rather than an entire RX pack.

I have ordered the rest of the lipo's i will need to build the pack. I am very excited to see how this goes.
Attached Thumbnails SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo-0819081643-00.jpg   SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo-0819081645-00.jpg  
Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
Hey Danny. Any idea on the weight of this pack? I think it might work in a T plate car with the battery on one side, receiver, speedo and receiver pack on the other. Plus the servo is off center a bit as well. With a little juggling it just might balance out.

By the way, what are most people using for a receiver pack on 12th scale nowadays?
..that's what i was hoping for..........i wanna dust off my Associated 12LW and hit some carpet (other than the ole ladys) this winter...........
Old 08-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Company Representative

The prototype packs with CNC machined cases instead of molded cases weighs 157 grams. That is about 140 grams less than a 4 cell pack of 4600s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.