Search

1/12th scale on... Asphalt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by pierre johnson
I currently race asphalt and though its very unpredictable its awesome racing once you have the car tuned and ready. ..
You should check out the RC 12i
Seriously best car on asphalt ever !
Hands down
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Hands down
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All the current cars work great on asphalt.

Recent carpet setups are so soft they will work on asphalt too. Just use Magenta or Pink tires all around.

The only real difference is traction compounds. You want to put on a high solvent traction compound (Paragon, SXT3) on first for 5-10 min then put a layer of runny sun tan lotion over it for another 10-20 min. Wipe the tires hard 5 min before your run. They may feel a little slimy, that's ok, they will stick. If the car is too edgy on the first lap or two wipe the tires later so they are wetter/more slimy when you put the car down. If you wipe too soon the tire will get really tacky and the car will be darty for a few laps until it settle in. If the tires are a little greasy/slimy the car will stay consistent.

How it works...The compound softens tires by partially dissolving the rubber. The suntan lotion has lanolin in it which bonds with the partially dissolved rubber and softens it more.

On Asphalt traction compound alone makes the tires too sticky and they will pick up dust and lose traction. Adding the suntan lotion somehow makes the tires self cleaning. If the grip is high you can use just suntan lotion.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Hands down
he's not kidding. i began rc racing in 1984-85 with a 12i on asphalt with a 6-cell stick pack. but we did wear out alot of tires, but we had fun and good competition.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The corally 12 slx has enormous amount of traction and with jack the ripper traction solution its drives like its on rails
Old 06-07-2013, 03:24 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just retured from the first series race od the texas electric onroad race in Austin and after the rain storm the car with the sxt was just awesome. I allowed couple guys try this stuff and they loved it , the stuff is very thick so you may want to use that only without the suntan lotion. .
Old 06-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
All the current cars work great on asphalt.

Recent carpet setups are so soft they will work on asphalt too. Just use Magenta or Pink tires all around.

The only real difference is traction compounds. You want to put on a high solvent traction compound (Paragon, SXT3) on first for 5-10 min then put a layer of runny sun tan lotion over it for another 10-20 min. Wipe the tires hard 5 min before your run. They may feel a little slimy, that's ok, they will stick. If the car is too edgy on the first lap or two wipe the tires later so they are wetter/more slimy when you put the car down. If you wipe too soon the tire will get really tacky and the car will be darty for a few laps until it settle in. If the tires are a little greasy/slimy the car will stay consistent.

How it works...The compound softens tires by partially dissolving the rubber. The suntan lotion has lanolin in it which bonds with the partially dissolved rubber and softens it more.

On Asphalt traction compound alone makes the tires too sticky and they will pick up dust and lose traction. Adding the suntan lotion somehow makes the tires self cleaning. If the grip is high you can use just suntan lotion.
Which Paragon are you talking about?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

GFX
Old 06-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just went out with my RC125.2 and setup with Steve Dunn's new tires. Car was absolutely amazing. Just in case. I was running a 3.5 boosted. One of the most fun classes I have run. Can't wait for our region 5 race.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NolanP
Just went out with my RC125.2 and setup with Steve Dunn's new tires. Car was absolutely amazing. Just in case. I was running a 3.5 boosted. One of the most fun classes I have run. Can't wait for our region 5 race.
Great job Nolan. I had a great time. I haven't ran asphalt since I lived in Florida 25yrs ago and ran the Florida State Series back then. Looking to come back up there in a few weeks to try some other compounds.

Steve Dunn
Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sdunnmcp
Great job Nolan. I had a great time. I haven't ran asphalt since I lived in Florida 25yrs ago and ran the Florida State Series back then. Looking to come back up there in a few weeks to try some other compounds.

Steve Dunn
Yeah let me know. I will come up there and play. I have a feeling it's gonna be hard to get a modified class going every weekend. I am now down any weekend (for the most part).

If you are gonna play with 12th scale on asphalt check out Pro One R/C on Facebook. Order those tires and you will be all set. Great pricing too.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Asphalt and 12i was all we ever had starting out. We are faster now, but more fun back in the day
Old 02-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Tech Lord

Muchmore recently introduced a 2S battery in a 1S package, could be something to think about.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
Muchmore recently introduced a 2S battery in a 1S package, could be something to think about.
That's nothing new. It's been going on for years in Japan.

Kawada, SMC, Trione, Eagle Racing, G-Style and so on.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I am trying to start a asphalt series in the Detroit area. I have been scouting several parking lot area in the northern suburbs of Detroit. I f anybody in the area is interested drop me a pm or respond to this thread.
I was thinking of running all the classes that we run on carpet plus a open class for you to run what you have except for gas this is all electric. It is in the early stages of trying to figure it out. I was planning on having a track size about 100x50. I am always open to suggestions and possible for the first season run one race a month

Thanks Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.