R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)
Default 1/12th scale on... Asphalt?

Hey guys, I have a tendency to try something new every 3 months or so, and my most recent thing has been: 1/12th scalers!

I got my hands on 2 RC12L4's: 1 is setup for racing on my carpet track, While the other is not really set up for anything.

I've heard of some people running 1/12th on asphalt, and was sortof in disbelief. But now i realize it might be fun. There isnt any asphalt racing in my area, but i'd like to drive a 12th scaler in a parking lot, Sortof like a basher.

So my Question is: How would you set it up?

I'll assume that you raise the height as high as possible, to account for the rough surface. But what do you run for tires? Do they sell rubber tires for 1/12th scalers? Do you make your own tires?

I'm having a blast driving my other 12th on carpet, and would like to do so on asphalt. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Bigshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

When the local club puts on asphlat parking lot races, I run PINKS all around.

I normally get the high-rollers tires that have not been trued small for carpet racing. Taller tires should be enough to raise the ride height. Traction is limited so roll the throttle. Going to a softer tweak spring or t-plate can help.

Also in disbelief, 1:12 asphalt racing is about the oldest form of electric racing there is.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Where in TX are you at? We race on asphalt here in san Antonio at Hobbytown USA on Austin Hwy.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG. View Post
Where in TX are you at? We race on asphalt here in san Antonio at Hobbytown USA on Austin Hwy.
DFW, Near Mikes hobby shop.

This is very interesting, how long do the tires typically last? is it one run and their done? Or do they last a while?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshades View Post
DFW, Near Mikes hobby shop.

This is very interesting, how long do the tires typically last? is it one run and their done? Or do they last a while?

Thanks!

Alot of the answers will depend on the condition of the p-lot your going to run on. I have tried this here but the lot we run on is too bumpy and I never could get the car to hook up well. But if your surface is smooth and preped even a little bit then you should have no problem.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Well, since you are probably running on a rough un prep surface you might not get much life out of tires. We run on a seal prep track. So most we get out of tires, and this is just speculation about 4 weekend which is 3 qualifers and a main each weekend.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
Tech Master

The problem with tyres is that if there is low grip levels, rear tyres spin up and front tyres tend to push, which makes them wear out really quickly. If on the other hand, you run on a surface with loads of grip, there is hardly any wear due to the tyres not scrubbing around corners. At our local carpet club, after the first run of the night, there is loads of tyre rubber inside the bodyshell whereas after the last run (once the grip level is higher) there is hardly any. So the answer just depends on how much grip is available. Cheers mate, Chris.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

On our paved track we run 1/12th scales. Normally we run pink rears, dbl pink fronts. Although, I run purple fronts and Pink rears at the moment. Tire wear is excellent.

It really comes down to smoothness though. The cars sit so low they will scrape quite easily. I have my car raised quite a bit and I still scrape the chassis at times.

Paul
Old 08-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Suspended

1/12th scale on asphalt has been around since the dawn of competitive electric RC racing, long before anyone even thought of throwing down carpet indoors.

But unfortunately, running any sort of foam-tire'd pan car on an unimproved parking lot can be a little problematic as you'll constantly battle lack of grip issues in addition to the tires getting terribly dirty and dusty as well as uneven pavement that'll have you scraping your chassis everywhere.

If you can find a newer, smoother parking lot to run is your best bet, and see about borrowing a leaf-blower so you can de-dust the area before your daily bashfest. Most paved onroad tracks spray soda or sugarwater to bring up grip levels though I'm sure this will be too much trouble to consider.

Also look into getting harder tires for the front than the rear, as someone else said double-pink or purple fronts and pink rears (or oldschool green fronts and yellow rears) as it will make the car easier to drive and not want to swap ends as easily. And pick yourself up a can of traction compound like Paragon to treat the foams before you run, it makes them way gripier.
szakcajaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Forgot to add, you need taller tires for the "compromise" effect of the sidewall. The taller the sidewall, the more movement in the tire while cornering to maintain traction. The shorter sidewall, more movement from the suspension is needed to maintain traction.

The more smooth and consistant traction a track can provide, the better a racer can fine tune a setup for faster speeds reducing the need for taller sidewalls.

Since parking lots are generally far from perfect, sidewall compromise helps in giving an consistant feel while the traction and the smoothness varies from corner to corner.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Could you race on a track that is a bowl???
beta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Thanks for the information guys, I will use it well.

There is an abandoned Tom-Thumb, with a large, smooth, cement parking lot. It is coarse, but consistent, almost like 100 grit sandpaper. I think i may be able to run there, and shouldnt have any issues with the vacant store.

Are the $9.99 Jaco's trued already, or are they full size? I dont wanna spend too much on tires, just to bash with.

Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #13
Tech Addict

I think all you need to do is get the right tires and thin t-bar to get started.

If anyone in metro Detroit is interested, we could start racing 1/12th asphalt here with our track ( i don't think anyone does). We race on a smooth cleaned and sprayed surface near waterford. I really would like to try it, just need more people. So if your interested, send us an email at [email protected]
Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshades View Post
Are the $9.99 Jaco's trued already, or are they full size? I dont wanna spend too much on tires, just to bash with.
Thanks again!
The Prisms are pre-trued.

Another tip not mentioned yet, is put a dab of CA on the outside edge of the tires to help prevent them from chunking and make it a little more stiff.

Paul
Old 04-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I currently race asphalt and though its very unpredictable its awesome racing once you have the car tuned and ready. ..