Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Atechbh
So you would take the tb03 over the ta06 as well for 21.5 with fdr 4.0?
Yes.

Of all the belt drive chassis, the ta06 is my least favorite.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I've had many Ta05s, Tb03s and ta06s and I really don't like the Ta06...it was never as free and I couldn't get the chassis as rigid as I like either...way too much twist. So that killed corner speed. I'd say the Tb03 is my choice from 25.5 -17.5. I run it in USGT and it's already .3 faster than my Ta06 and getting better every time out. I still really like the 05 too...kind of a toss up with the 05 and 03.. But I wouldn't take a 06 for free.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's good to hear. I'm glad I never bought an 06. I still love my 05. Free'st belt car I've ever owned. I'm glad I never bought the TB04. I was very close to it. I guess it's the shaft version of what the 06 was to the TA series. Just a gimmick something Tamiya wanted to try out. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
That's good to hear. I'm glad I never bought an 06. I still love my 05. Free'st belt car I've ever owned. I'm glad I never bought the TB04. I was very close to it. I guess it's the shaft version of what the 06 was to the TA series. Just a gimmick something Tamiya wanted to try out. Nothing wrong with that.
Don't bury it yet. The Awesomatix guys got it to work.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Don't bury it yet. The Awesomatix guys got it to work.
Not in that configuration though, traditional longitudinal or inline mounted motor is what they are using now. At least that's what I've seen from them now.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

since this seems to be the more honest opinionated thread ....

best Tamiya 21.5 car on carpet out of the box or with least amount of $ spent?

i have a 417x NIB i got for a killer steal but was thinking on saving it for 17.5 tc
but need a good usgt car to make cameo' appearances in local onroad races

TB03R would be awesome it seems but hard to find in NIB
Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Should I run the front shocks upright or ifs?
Old 12-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have run mine both ways I like IFS but the weight was my problem with IFS there is 25 gram difference in weight. Also the shocks and the hardware so high in the car raises your CG.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rkhess

i have a 417x NIB i got for a killer steal but was thinking on saving it for 17.5 tc

The TB03 I run costs about $550-600 to replicate, because you can't find the R model. Fun to chase the parts down, very durable, has a unique sound.

If TCS rules would allow a carbon car, I'd run a 417 just because it's cheaper, lighter, and has more flex. Since I rarely club race (half my races in 2014 will be TCS), I run the 03.

Personal preference. Some of the GT bodies won't work with standup shocks. I spent a lot of time this past summer running the car both ways, and have a preference, but I can run either.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rkhess

I would run the 417x over a TB03 if the rules allow it my 417v5 is .2 faster then my TB03. I have a 3 racing conversion its all carbon fiber with every hop up you can put in it it weighs 1387 with the body on it I listened to Craig MBA when I was building my car.
I turn the same amount of laps with both cars but the 417v5 is 5 sec faster at the end of 5 minutes. 5 seconds may not be a big deal but in our clubs GT races the top 5 cars are 1 to3 seconds apart after a 5 min heat race. It has gotten to the point being slowed down by a back maker and your heat is done not even hitting one.
Craig MBA hasn't come to race with use in 7 or 8 month's I hope he comes and race with us when we repave our track and build a new race course style layout that is going to be Tamiya quality raceway. Our track now is nice but it is island course and a little bumpy we want to take our track to a high level. Craig came out and spanked us one night and since then all of us stepped up our game waiting for the next time he comes out and races with us. I think we are close to his speed now!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
Craig MBA hasn't come to race with use in 7 or 8 month's I hope he comes and race with us when we repave our track and build a new race course style layout that is going to be Tamiya quality raceway.
I think Hobbytown Fresno is as good as Tamiya is right now. Maybe better. Chew on that Plus, you assume I didn't learn a couple of things between then and now.

It's super hard for me to race a Saturday day race. I write payroll on Saturday around noon, hard to be in my office and at the track at the same time. And my phone rings non stop whenever I'm at the track for something work related if we have anything going on. And I'm here to work. That's why I like classes like Mini and VTA for club racing, on treaded tires the car prep isn't so critical, lower speeds are easier on parts when you get attacked by the back markers.

For 2014, I'm going to try to run the Reedy sedan race, three TCS events, IIC (if it works out around harvest), and whatever else I can get crammed in there between testing for all that. For the first time in three years, we are kind of caught up on the farm, but I say that like I didn't help unload a half mile of 12" PVC pipe this morning for the irrigation system we start on next week.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
I think Hobbytown Fresno is as good as Tamiya is right now. Maybe better. Chew on that Plus, you assume I didn't learn a couple of things between then and now.

It's super hard for me to race a Saturday day race. I write payroll on Saturday around noon, hard to be in my office and at the track at the same time. And my phone rings non stop whenever I'm at the track for something work related if we have anything going on. And I'm here to work. That's why I like classes like Mini and VTA for club racing, on treaded tires the car prep isn't so critical, lower speeds are easier on parts when you get attacked by the back markers.

For 2014, I'm going to try to run the Reedy sedan race, three TCS events, IIC (if it works out around harvest), and whatever else I can get crammed in there between testing for all that. For the first time in three years, we are kind of caught up on the farm, but I say that like I didn't help unload a half mile of 12" PVC pipe this morning for the irrigation system we start on next week.
I never thought you were sleeping on your laurels ! We now have a expert GT3 we have some real good guy's running GT3 it is different from the last time you came out. We have very good driver here in the valley Nick G. Ryan G. , The Bandy's , Ray W. , Steven G. we have 10 expert guy's running GT3 now the class is scary fast. I will be glad when it warms up and we start racing at night so you can come out and play! You know you are my GT3 Guru Sensa

Last edited by vivo quevas; 12-30-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm running the 04 module 96t Spur and 51t pinion - But it's still nowhere near the gearing I need.

What spur and pinion are required for 21.5t ?

Part numbers would be awesome.

Cheers.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

THANKS GUYS !

talk about a small world ....i grew up in Mariposa,Merced and Madera untill i was 14 then moved to Tennessee
Old 12-31-2013, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
I never thought you were sleeping on your laurels ! We now have a expert GT3 we have some real good guy's running GT3 it is different from the last time you came out. We have very good driver here in the valley Nick G. Ryan G. , The Bandy's , Ray W. , Steven G. we have 10 expert guy's running GT3 now the class is scary fast. I will be glad when it warms up and we start racing at night so you can come out and play! You know you are my GT3 Guru Sensa
Do you guys have a race schedule posted anywhere?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.