R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #3631
Tech Champion
 
Radio Active's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,062
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdunnmcp View Post
You cannot go by the manual or shims. Measure the total width of the rear, which should be 172mm. We almost never change this width on the rear of the car. Use whatever shims needed to achieve 172mm.

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis, IN

You say almost never. Out of curiosity what is the rare circumstance you would consider narrowing the rear width?
__________________
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #3632
Tech Fanatic
 
Infinite 12th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
What is the rare circumstance you would consider narrowing the rear width?
In extreme low bite to get rear traction
__________________
12th scale - The Jedi class...
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #3633
Tech Champion
 
Logi Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 5,556
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Keven Hebert pilots the 12R5.2 to a National Championship in Modified 1/12 scale... AWESOME!
__________________
Kyle Predmore
FB AE Fanboy/Insta @ae_fanboy
Sticky Kicks RC\Prolevel RC\MIP\Schelle
Logi Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #3634
Tech Champion
 
Radio Active's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,062
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
In extreme low bite to get rear traction
I sometimes run in extremely low traction conditions. (At night on dusty concrete that is used for dog shows during the week.) I hadn't thought to run the rear end narrower, but now I will give it a try. How much narrower is it worth going? Can you explain how narrowing up the rear-end works? There are very few good descriptions of the mechanics of pan car pods.
__________________
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #3635
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logi Maker View Post
Keven Hebert pilots the 12R5.2 to a National Championship in Modified 1/12 scale... AWESOME!
I thought Hebert was running the new prototype?
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #3636
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
You say almost never. Out of curiosity what is the rare circumstance you would consider narrowing the rear width?
I probably should say never but there may be someone that does. I don't know anyone that narrows the rear end for tuning. There are many other things to change first (Dampner Lube, Side Springs, Pod Droop, Center Spring).

For me I am always looking for more rear traction so wider is better.

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis, IN
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #3637
Tech Master
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,989
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk
Default

Thought narrower gave you more traction but wider was more responsive. Or is that only front and touring cars?

When i was asking though was more concerned if the axel would be centered with equal shims on each side. Seems to be though.

Had a revalation this last weekend. Kingpin springs apparently dont last lol. Took em out. Both different lengths i assume after hitting things so one side had more precompression than the other.
One side would turn very sharply and other almost understeering.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #3638
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: El Mirage, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,297
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

anybody have a clue where or who has black side springs i cant find them anywhere
Bubonic-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #3639
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic-X View Post
anybody have a clue where or who has black side springs i cant find them anywhere
Looks like Ashford has them

http://ashfordhobby.com/detail.aspx?ID=9315
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #3640
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,918
Default New setup posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
I thought Hebert was running the new prototype?
He was running some prototype parts as were Blackstock and I.

Olly Jefferies clinched the BRCA 1/12 stock (10.5) title with a stock 12R5.1 (with LiPo conversion) this past weekend to sweep the 1/12 championships in both classes.

Olly Jefferies - BRCA Nationals Rd. 6
__________________
www.reedypower.com
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #3641
Tech Fanatic
 
Infinite 12th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
I sometimes run in extremely low traction conditions. (At night on dusty concrete that is used for dog shows during the week.) I hadn't thought to run the rear end narrower, but now I will give it a try. How much narrower is it worth going? Can you explain how narrowing up the rear-end works? There are very few good descriptions of the mechanics of pan car pods.
Hi, Try 1 mm at a time and you can only go so narrow because of axle limitations

I think of it like a dragster. They have much rear bite and are very narrow

So we have to balance car handling with rear bite

But if you ever are on really slippery environment it will definitely give you little rear bite/ grip

Also maybe think of width ft and rear and how it will affect rotation of car

Rotation is everything...
__________________
12th scale - The Jedi class...
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #3642
Tech Champion
 
Radio Active's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,062
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
He was running some prototype parts as were Blackstock and I.

Olly Jefferies clinched the BRCA 1/12 stock (10.5) title with a stock 12R5.1 (with LiPo conversion) this past weekend to sweep the 1/12 championships in both classes.

Olly Jefferies - BRCA Nationals Rd. 6
Hi Rick,

Great news. Is there a 10.5 set-up to go with that Mod one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
Hi, Try 1 mm at a time and you can only go so narrow because of axle limitations

I think of it like a dragster. They have much rear bite and are very narrow

So we have to balance car handling with rear bite

But if you ever are on really slippery environment it will definitely give you little rear bite/ grip

Also maybe think of width ft and rear and how it will affect rotation of car

Rotation is everything...
Thanks very much for that. I'll give it a go next time I get the chance.
__________________
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #3643
Tech Addict
 
RacinJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mesa Az
Posts: 733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
He was running some prototype parts as were Blackstock and I.
Do you have any pictures of the prototype parts that you can share?
__________________
Roche P12 '16 & '17; Team Scream 17.5 & 13.5

1/12th scale, just 1/12th scale.
I love to go like hell for 8 minutes.
RacinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #3644
Tech Master
 
racer x 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: im 4rm a far away place called 1st
Posts: 1,825
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

i heard you guys are working on a damper tube set up for the back end? can u comment on this?
__________________
Matt Bell
Mugen MRX5 Ae R5.2 X6^3 M11x All powered by Speedtech Rc
racer x 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #3645
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
Hi Rick,

Great news. Is there a 10.5 set-up to go with that Mod one?
Apparently same setup for both classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinJ View Post
Do you have any pictures of the prototype parts that you can share?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer x 1 View Post
i heard you guys are working on a damper tube set up for the back end? can u comment on this?
Yes
__________________
www.reedypower.com
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*Team Associated RC12R5* Zdiddy R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 08-31-2008 12:03 PM
RC12R5 Setup Sheets Cubic$Racing Electric On-Road 2 06-20-2008 10:27 AM
Team Associated RC12R5 ammo Singapore R/C Racers 12 05-15-2008 08:37 AM
AE RC12R5 alana07 Singapore R/C Racers 3 03-27-2008 09:56 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:50 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net