Wiki Posts
Search

SERPENT 120

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tl2111
Thanks Geezatac,

What I ask is about the T-bar pivot ball, I cant get anywhere near the smoothest that I get from Asso, CRC type pivot ball system.
One thing I have noticed about the S120 is the tolerances are really tight. Which is good and bad. As the parts wear, they fit better and better but it does make for a little more effort when assembling the kit.

Try opening up the large holes in the T bar that the pivot sockets fit into. Do this with some sandpaper and to a little at a time until the pivot ball sockets fit into the hole with out having to force them in. Take off a little at a time. Remember, you can always take off more but you can’t put it back. Do this until the pivot balls are free and smooth with the two screws in place. You may have to trial fit several times until you get just the right amount removed. Also, do not tighten down the two screws real tight. I just use my thumb and finger and tighten them until they are barley snug. It’s a feel thing. They will not back out as the screws are going into plastic/delrin.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndiF
What do you mean by "when I mount the wheels and tighten the nuts"? How far are you tightening? The nuts should only be tightened to the point where the wheels still spin freely. So just losen the nut a bit until the wheel is spinning freely again...

If it's not about the nut being too tightened, check if the kingpin is not touching the inside of the wheel (this you might have to check anyway...)

Rgds,
Andy
I was tightening quite a bit. However the point at which the wheels stop turning freely is only where the shaft is about half way through the nut, i.e. the threaded portion has only just bit into the nylon inside the nut. At this point the wheels run freely, any further tightening and the whatever resistance increases to the point where the wheels will not turn unless with reasonable force applied.

I am worried that as soon as I've run a few laps one or both wheels are going to decide to travel in different directions to the rest of the car!!

Neither the king pin or the springclip is close to the inside of the rim.

Could it be the wheel itself? I'm using Jaco tyres.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kenobi
I was tightening quite a bit. However the point at which the wheels stop turning freely is only where the shaft is about half way through the nut, i.e. the threaded portion has only just bit into the nylon inside the nut. At this point the wheels run freely, any further tightening and the whatever resistance increases to the point where the wheels will not turn unless with reasonable force applied.

I am worried that as soon as I've run a few laps one or both wheels are going to decide to travel in different directions to the rest of the car!!

You are doing exactly the right thing. The axles need to be just a little longer. Hopfully in future production runs they will correct that. But, even with the nut only threaded on that much, I have never lost a wheel. I did shop around and found some smaller 3mm nuts which does allow the nut to go on a little more than the kit nuts before the wheel starts to bind.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crashby
You are doing exactly the right thing. The axles need to be just a little longer. Hopfully in future production runs they will correct that. But, even with the nut only threaded on that much, I have never lost a wheel. I did shop around and found some smaller 3mm nuts which does allow the nut to go on a little more than the kit nuts before the wheel starts to bind.
Cheers, thanks for that. Will look for some other nuts as well
Old 08-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is there a set up guide from serpent for this car. i got mine off the for sell thread and only got the manual with a base guide line for one road or carpet. hoping for something the explains the more.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cobrajet
Is there a set up guide from serpent for this car. i got mine off the for sell thread and only got the manual with a base guide line for one road or carpet. hoping for something the explains the more.
Try the second one on the list... It worked pretty well for me!

http://www.serpent.com/racing/setups/
Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kenobi

the axles are too short for the jaco wheel, but a thinner nut will work. i found the robitronic scalpel's wheel nuts to work well
Old 09-08-2009, 02:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rack
Have any body seen or heard any thing about the s120L chassis that was coming out.
It may appear at the IIC Vegas meeting that's on this week
Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Hi mate, try putting the wheel nut on back to front, so that the nylock bit is closest to the bearing, that may help for now until you find your low profile nuts! Cheers, Chris.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

bump
Old 09-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by rack
Have any body seen or heard any thing about the s120L chassis that was coming out.
Last I've heard is mid-October.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

I just ran my S120 for the first time last night and I'm extremely impressed. This is not my first 12th scale but it is the best handling I've had(Assoc. 12L3, L4, Trinity Switch Blade, and 12R5). Consistent from run to run, and never had to change the car. Not one broken part and yes I hit stuff.........HARD!!! Didn't even tweak. Just the best experience with 12th scale.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
I just ran my S120 for the first time last night and I'm extremely impressed. This is not my first 12th scale but it is the best handling I've had(Assoc. 12L3, L4, Trinity Switch Blade, and 12R5). Consistent from run to run, and never had to change the car. Not one broken part and yes I hit stuff.........HARD!!! Didn't even tweak. Just the best experience with 12th scale.
nice to hear that, i just bought s120, also i have before 12r5 and i cant wait to run s120
i hear many time that s120 is best handling than eg. 12r5...
i hope so...
Old 10-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tomesz
nice to hear that, i just bought s120, also i have before 12r5 and i cant wait to run s120
i hear many time that s120 is best handling than eg. 12r5...
i hope so...
You're gonna like it.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default s-120

I am about get one. got my fingers crossed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.