Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jcr
well it looks like they suggest both type of springs sets....
i use the long TRF dampers and the Short springs , stick 5mm internal spacers and the short springs to get the ride height to a good level

53633 Exhard
53632 Hard
53631 Medium
53630 Soft
Old 11-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default TAMIYA MO5 HOPUPS

The following Tamiya MO5 Hopups will be released on 10 Dec in Japan:

54191 Tamiya Steering set
54192 Tamiya Steering Link
54193 Tamiya Steering Post
54194 Tamiya MO5 Ball Diff
54195 Steering Rod

Info from RC Champ.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:51 AM
jcr
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by caltek1
jcr,

The 53333 spring set allows you to run shorter shock lengths. The other sets to look at are the short TRF springs which come in:

white-extra hard
blue-hard
yellow-medium
red-soft.

Most seem to use the short TRF blue, yellow and red. The springs from the 53333 set are the same length. The 53440 set are normal length, I have never used them on a mini.

The shocks can be shortened by adding or subtracting internal spacers, which change the length and the amount of droop. The shock piston will also affect the shock. I use only a 3mm spacer on each shock when using full length TRF shocks.

Comes back to how you like your car to handle for your driving style.

Having a selection of the above springs just gives more sutle tuning options or can cause massive grief.

BTW,

If you read the content at rc-mini-net you will see that spring rates do not radically change the car's handling. You just need to find a setup that works and then practice on being consistant.

Later,

Calvin.
thanks for the info
Old 11-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

jcr, buy the short spring set so you can lower your ride height.

springs are good to have. example is my m05 had bad oversteer with red rears. but with white rear springs it became very nice and 1 sec a lap quicker on the specific track i run.

my thoughts (others might have different views), m03/m05 benefit from small tuning changes a lot. even position of transponder can result in a horrible car (massive oversteer) or a perfect car (neutral handling).

even changes in ride height by 1mm increments make a big difference to the balance of the car and my lap times.

different setups might yield same laptimes (doesn't necessarily mean tuning makes no difference in minis). it's probably due to tuning to each's driving style.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
Just about 3 millimeters on the side wall and 3 on the tread is good.

This was the best tip ever.... I added a spacer to the chassis to make the car midsize.. Then did the glue as recommended.. Car is so fun to drive now.. On hard 90 degree turns it wants to three wheel just for a second.. Reminds me of autoxing a civic or any other fwd car..
Old 11-26-2009, 05:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rccartips
jcr, buy the short spring set so you can lower your ride height.

springs are good to have. example is my m05 had bad oversteer with red rears. but with white rear springs it became very nice and 1 sec a lap quicker on the specific track i run.

my thoughts (others might have different views), m03/m05 benefit from small tuning changes a lot. even position of transponder can result in a horrible car (massive oversteer) or a perfect car (neutral handling).

even changes in ride height by 1mm increments make a big difference to the balance of the car and my lap times.

different setups might yield same laptimes (doesn't necessarily mean tuning makes no difference in minis). it's probably due to tuning to each's driving style.
Wouldn't stiffer rear springs increase oversteer?

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I understand suspension dynamics correctly, there are several ways to reduce oversteer.

Stiffer front springs/Softer rear springs
Front sway bar or a thicker one/Thinner or no rear sway bar
More positive front camber/More negative rear camber
Narrower tires in the front/Wider Tires in the rear
Stiffer front shocks/Softer rear shocks
Old 11-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RX-9
Wouldn't stiffer rear springs increase oversteer?

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I understand suspension dynamics correctly, there are several ways to reduce oversteer.

Stiffer front springs/Softer rear springs
Front sway bar or a thicker one/Thinner or no rear sway bar
More positive front camber/More negative rear camber
Narrower tires in the front/Wider Tires in the rear
Stiffer front shocks/Softer rear shocks
You are absolutely, 100% correct. However, we are talking about a Tamiya Mini, which will defy logic. M05's are different from M03's as to what set up works and short, mid, and long wheel base Minis tune differently.

The two factors you went right past is that Minis are front wheel driven and the effects of weight distribution. Where the weight is, plays a huge part in how a Mini is set up and drives.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Get em Granpa.

The mini has no setup carved in stone.

10 minis = 10 setups.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

After months of trying different things on my M03 I settled on this...

Stock dampers
Suspension lowered 5mm using internal spacers on all four wheels
Soft (Tamiya red) tall springs front
Medium (Tamiya green) tall springs rear

Way different than most suggestions I received, but it's what works for me.

Ps: don't forget the CA on the front tires.

Last edited by Timbulb; 11-26-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Granpa
You are absolutely, 100% correct. However, we are talking about a Tamiya Mini, which will defy logic. M05's are different from M03's as to what set up works and short, mid, and long wheel base Minis tune differently.

The two factors you went right past is that Minis are front wheel driven and the effects of weight distribution. Where the weight is, plays a huge part in how a Mini is set up and drives.
That is very interesting, might have to get one just to play around with. It's amazing that there are so many different setups that all work with these Tamiyas.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

rx-9, yes in theory. but like what grandpa said, sometimes theory does not hold true in real world performance. only way to know is to test. that's the fun part
Old 11-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default mini

I've always wanted to try one of the minis out hopefully soon
Old 11-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrxsMike03
I've always wanted to try one of the minis out hopefully soon
You'll get hooked, once you get one.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

So, I got a silver can here that pulls over 17,000rpm at 5v. Pretty good. MUAHAHAHA
Gonna try the break in method on a couple of buddies silver cans to see if my liquid works, then will repost the results.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Tuning

Got a question for the experts out there.
Raced mini last night, my mate had M03 and I have an M05. I was very happy with the car except when cornering. His car ran away at least 1-2 meters on every corner. We even swapped cars and the same result his car was way better through the corners. The only real set up difference is he has cvd's and I have dog bones.
My car washes lots of speed off, his carries speed right through, will dog bones do this? The corners are almost all very sharp 100deg+.
We both have ball diffs, the same shocks, he has team powers tyres and I have Spice. Both cars have silver can motors and are identicle on the straights. They both have plenty of grip with very little body roll and are both planted in corners. We have very different driving styles but when we swapped cars I beat him with his car so it is a set up thing.
Any suggestions?

Terry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.