Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 02-22-2010, 01:15 PM
  #11566  
Tech Master
iTrader: (89)
 
trerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,817
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Any big disadvantage to running the 03 vs the 05? Also what upgrades are considered to be must have, other than oil shocks and bearings? Thanks.
trerc is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 02:45 PM
  #11567  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,358
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Some new Tamiya M05 kits (and bodies) coming soong
- Alfa Romeo MiTo (http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58453).
- Honda S800 (http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58454)
- Datsun 280zx (http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=92213)
280zx body for sale on Tower Hobbies (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...RCH=datsun+280)

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 02-23-2010 at 09:58 AM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 PM
  #11568  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,324
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tony gray
How the hell can replacing dampers for solid rods be TCS legal?.....
Maybe got some advise from Niznai..

heheh
Wylie27 is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 PM
  #11569  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,974
Default

Originally Posted by Wylie27
Maybe got some advise from Niznai..

heheh
Hehehehe!
That would be advice. Eeek indeed.
niznai is offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 AM
  #11570  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (8)
 
Project D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 536
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by trerc
Any big disadvantage to running the 03 vs the 05? Also what upgrades are considered to be must have, other than oil shocks and bearings? Thanks.
+1 on this. Confused at the moment to get the 05 or the 03
Project D is offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM
  #11571  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,920
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Project D
+1 on this. Confused at the moment to get the 05 or the 03
i love the M03 but the M05 is nicer for me to drive , the M03 is an easy drive with a good set up but the M05 is more agressive on he steering and takes some getting used too

i set my fastest lap with the M03 but i am not far away with the M05

buy the M05 it is a great car
sidecarphil1 is offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 AM
  #11572  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,974
Default

Originally Posted by Project D
+1 on this. Confused at the moment to get the 05 or the 03
Get the M05. If for no other reason, then at least because it is the most evolved Tamiya M-chassis. The major difference is that the M05 can accept a TC-style balldiff which to me is a big improvement over the fiddly contraption they used since their M01 cars.

Everything else is just academic.

As for the upgrades, it depends on how you want to tune/prefer your cars, and what your regulations allow. Tamiya has a long list of upgrades, and they're all nice and neat, but rather costly by the time you add it all up (I know, for I bought the lot). I avoid however other brands as it has never worked for me, and some are just downright crap.

If you want to get rid of slop, you can try the steering upgrades and rear camber links, perhaps with better balljoints/cups like the Yokomo offerings (again to get rid of the slop). A good servo saver can again take away some grief as the Tamiya part is poorly designed. TRF mini shocks + springs are really nice and smooth and again offer some really nice tuning possibilities. The screw-type suspension hingepins are just nasty so I never use them. The option parts come with the little e-clips which bother some people, but I prefer that.

I also use the TC style balldiff because I mainly race TC and am used to building/tuning/doing maintenance on these. I find they lend themselves a lot better to fine tuning than the alternatives.

Tires/inserts themselves are an entirely different matter and here only testing at your track will decide what works best for you. The choice is huge, but there's plenty of info around on this.
niznai is offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 AM
  #11573  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Timbulb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,063
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

The TL01 balldiff works great in the M03 as well.
Timbulb is offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 AM
  #11574  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (12)
 
xrayroooahhhh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CALGARY
Posts: 792
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

The newer style bodies...from Tamiya....will fit on both the M03 or only the M05?? That may be reason enough to go M05!!! Someone will know!!!!
xrayroooahhhh is offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM
  #11575  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (12)
 
xrayroooahhhh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CALGARY
Posts: 792
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

It's been some time since I raced mini's....BUT.....I remember there always being tons o' stearing on the M03...typically we had issues with planting the rear end??? If the M05 has more steering......makes me wonder!!!




Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
i love the M03 but the M05 is nicer for me to drive , the M03 is an easy drive with a good set up but the M05 is more agressive on he steering and takes some getting used too

i set my fastest lap with the M03 but i am not far away with the M05

buy the M05 it is a great car
xrayroooahhhh is offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 AM
  #11576  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,920
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by xrayroooahhhh
It's been some time since I raced mini's....BUT.....I remember there always being tons o' stearing on the M03...typically we had issues with planting the rear end??? If the M05 has more steering......makes me wonder!!!
my M03 is sooooo planted at the rear , the M05 has more responsive steering

less slop in the M05 too
sidecarphil1 is offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 01:06 PM
  #11577  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,596
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

for me, m05 has more rotational speed. smoother around corners.

if rear end needs to be more planted, maybe:

1. longer wheelbase (try an L).
2. rear camberlink position
3. 2deg toe in hub
4. ride height balance front to rear
5. traction compound balance
rccartips is offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 PM
  #11578  
Tech Adept
 
Shangrila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 122
Default

Post race checking has revealed that the front left knuckle has bent. The plastic stock one.

I remember reading earlier in the thread someone else posting about this on their M05. I never bent one on my M01 in 2 years. The new track on Saturday did have horrible "kerbs" square blocks of wood and I did whack the front left corner on occasion. So I don't know for sure if the knuckle is weaker on the M05 or if it is susceptible to weakening from motor heat as the prior post discussed.

Question is do I fork out for a whole plastic tree for a new one, and possibly more in future, or do I put on the alu hop up I have (I forgot to get bearings for it prior to build) and risk it getting bent or transferring shock harshly elsewhere on the new horror "kurbs".

"Try missing the kurbs" is part of the plan
Shangrila is offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 07:58 PM
  #11579  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (8)
 
Project D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 536
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by niznai
Get the M05. If for no other reason, then at least because it is the most evolved Tamiya M-chassis. The major difference is that the M05 can accept a TC-style balldiff which to me is a big improvement over the fiddly contraption they used since their M01 cars.

Everything else is just academic.

As for the upgrades, it depends on how you want to tune/prefer your cars, and what your regulations allow. Tamiya has a long list of upgrades, and they're all nice and neat, but rather costly by the time you add it all up (I know, for I bought the lot). I avoid however other brands as it has never worked for me, and some are just downright crap.

If you want to get rid of slop, you can try the steering upgrades and rear camber links, perhaps with better balljoints/cups like the Yokomo offerings (again to get rid of the slop). A good servo saver can again take away some grief as the Tamiya part is poorly designed. TRF mini shocks + springs are really nice and smooth and again offer some really nice tuning possibilities. The screw-type suspension hingepins are just nasty so I never use them. The option parts come with the little e-clips which bother some people, but I prefer that.

I also use the TC style balldiff because I mainly race TC and am used to building/tuning/doing maintenance on these. I find they lend themselves a lot better to fine tuning than the alternatives.

Tires/inserts themselves are an entirely different matter and here only testing at your track will decide what works best for you. The choice is huge, but there's plenty of info around on this.
Thnx for the help

I was about to get the 05 but suddenly I came across the 03R Blue Edition and it looks so delicious lol.

When you say TC Balldiff, does it mean that the Hot Bodies TC ball diff fits perfectly for the 05 but not the 03? Why dont we use Tamiya Ball diff I think the TA03 ones fit.
Project D is offline  
Old 02-23-2010, 08:25 PM
  #11580  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
fleetmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NSW
Posts: 2,653
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

The Tamiya M-05 ball diff is externally adjustable , like a tc and has replaceable blades too.
Seems to work fine built per the instructions, with Anti Wear grease.

Just need to make sure you "feel " the bolt tension as you nip it up.

I had an M-03 for a couple of months once and sold it.
Had the M-05 now for six months or so now, It is pretty good now.

Tyres and ride height are everything , IMHO.
fleetmaster is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.