Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steven Key
Slotmachine,

Thanks for the suggestion I will try that tonight.
Did you try the shock adjustment?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

Aaaa Grasshopper,

I think you hit on something with that body mount suggestion. I'll bet my body is touching the tire on hard corners and that is why it chatters. May not have anything to do with the chassis.

Doc, Thanks for the suggestions.
I think you need cvd universals to eliminate chattering during hard cornering. Also reduce steering throw from your remote.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Slotmachine,

I removed one "O" ring from inside both of the rear shocks and that substantially reduced the chatter. It made the car steer more crisply and it didn't scrub speed through the corners like before. I went from a 4th or 5th place car to a car that could challenge for the lead.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Another question for you guys. Is there a difference between Manta Ray ball diff and ta03. I forget what tt car it was. What one should I get and why?. Thanks again. Phil
Old 12-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The TA03 diff is nicer IMO. It's much smoother.

It also has a narrower gear, which is a big plus when you have a very limited motor. Less friction and less weight.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Slotmachine,

I removed one "O" ring from inside both of the rear shocks and that substantially reduced the chatter. It made the car steer more crisply and it didn't scrub speed through the corners like before. I went from a 4th or 5th place car to a car that could challenge for the lead.

Thanks for the help
I`m glad I could help out, try removing 1 o-ring from the front and see if that helps out more.
Paul................

By the way, how was the traction roll issue with 1 less o-ring?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Paul,

Traction roll was not a problem at all. I don't think the car sits any higher, than before, with one less "O" ring limiting the shock travel it can just lean over just a little more.

I will try it with one less "O" ring in the front shocks next week and let you know how that works.

Thanks Again
Old 12-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Paul,

Traction roll was not a problem at all. I don't think the car sits any higher, than before, with one less "O" ring limiting the shock travel it can just lean over just a little more.

I will try it with one less "O" ring in the front shocks next week and let you know how that works.

Thanks Again
Since the mini coopers are less sophisticated and don't have droop adjustments you have to adjust it with the shock length. Since you put more droop in the rear I was hoping that there would be no traction roll issues. The reason being is that you slowed the reaction of weight transfer down so it worked like I wanted it to.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Talking TAO3 BALL DIFF

I am in the process of re-building my TAO3 Ball diff in my MO3L and insteead of placing the thrust bearing I am going to place a 1050 wheel bearing and a washer under the hexagonal bolt. I believe this will give more option of running the diff tighter. The only problem I can see with this, is it will more than likely push more coming out of corners.

Does anyone have a opinion on this, as I was also considering building the bevel gearbox with additional washers on both sides of the bevel gear for a tighter fit. This should get the diff to act similar to a spool, which will I think cause additional push through corners.

I am trying to build a diff which will allow faster cornering speeds, while maintaining good handling.

I only run my Mini on asphalt tracks with 60 D tyres. Thanks for you info previously slotmachine.

Any assistance appreciated.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by caltech1
I am in the process of re-building my TAO3 Ball diff in my MO3L and instead of placing the thrust bearing I am going to place a 1050 wheel bearing and a washer under the hexagonal bolt. I believe this will give more option of running the diff tighter. The only problem I can see with this, is it will more than likely push more coming out of corners.

Does anyone have a opinion on this, as I was also considering building the bevel gearbox with additional washers on both sides of the bevel gear for a tighter fit. This should get the diff to act similar to a spool, which will I think cause additional push through corners.

I am trying to build a diff which will allow faster cornering speeds, while maintaining good handling.

I only run my Mini on asphalt tracks with 60 D tyres. Thanks for you info previously slotmachine.

Any assistance appreciated.

I build my TA03 ball diff like it says in the book, stock grease. I use lock-tite on the adjustment nut. I tighten the bolt very tight and then back it off 1/8th. of a turn, kinda works like a spool also. I have no on power push at all. With mini`s you just have to let off early and hit the throttle at the middle of the apex to carry corner speed.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking MO3 DiFFS

Well I have rebuilt the Mini with the TAO3 ball diff setup tight and loctited the Hex nut. I have not greased the diff running surfaces, ie pinion mating areas. I fitted a F201 flourine coated 20 tooth pinion onto a Fantom 27 turn stock motor. I ran this up the road and this certainly moves along. I don't think my 1400 batteries will last 5 min runtime though.

We are running super cooper on Mon night at our RC club prior to Xmas break. Will take slotmachines and oldnwise advice and try to slow in and fast out the corners and see how I go.

Thanks for the advice.
Calvin.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

I bought 1 of doc`s motors tonight and after I put it in Doc said UH, OH!!!!!!

That motor was fast I had the fastest single lap time of the night, and I had the only 25 lap run Thanks Doc! I cant wait to get somthing other than Venom stick packs......

I cant wait to do it again on Jan. 7th. Were trying to get more people to show next race.24 Was nice but I want more.........
Old 12-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Champion

Everyone From HiJackerRC Designs..........
Old 12-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Everyone From HiJackerRC Designs..........
Thanks, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

I also got a motor from doc and i was up two more laps a race this week compared to last week. And it is still just a two hole motor.

If your out there Doc thanks again. I almost gave up on my mini.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.