Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Happy Easter

Happy Easter All
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-happy_easter%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 04-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks, John, for the lovely thought.

Meanwhile, got a SUPER present today from the Easter Bunny, also known as Masa! Mr. Mailman showed up this morning with a registered EMS package containing...TA DA!...my M03R package from RC Champ. I ordered the S1 GP combo, which includes universals, a 540J motor, titanium & aluminum screw set, hollow carbon tranny shafts, sway bars, a TA03 ball diff, stainless TL01 suspension shafts, and a Swift body. Total price including Paypal charge and EMS shipping was $242. Sweet.

Couple questions:
* Has anyone messed around with the different ball stud holes in the front hubs? Not sure exactly what the impact will be on Ackerman with each hole, but am interested in hearing about anyone's experience.
* Are the original plastic rear uprights in the 03R kit (and the Swift kit) zero degree, 2 degree, or what? Nice to have the option to use zero, 1.5 or 2 degrees of rear toe.
* Seems to me like it would be a good idea to make the rear links slightly longer so as to avoid coning the inside of the rear tires. Anybody tried this yet on their 03R?

I run the short body and have two new unpainted Suzuki shells as well as an almost-new painted shell (it's white with Rothman's decals) that I'm looking to sell. Also think I'll sell the black chrome stuff- all of it (I already have all new stuff in black) and probably the blue shocks as well since I'll be using either black ones or TRF blues. Don't need the stock radial tires, either, although I know that some of you guys swear by them for certain racing surfaces. Anybody who's interested, give me a shout at [email protected] and we'll figure out a reasonable price.

Later
Doc
Old 04-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Thanks, John, for the lovely thought.

Meanwhile, got a SUPER present today from the Easter Bunny, also known as Masa! Mr. Mailman showed up this morning with a registered EMS package containing...TA DA!...my M03R package from RC Champ. I ordered the S1 GP combo, which includes universals, a 540J motor, titanium & aluminum screw set, hollow carbon tranny shafts, sway bars, a TA03 ball diff, stainless TL01 suspension shafts, and a Swift body. Total price including Paypal charge and EMS shipping was $242. Sweet.

Later
Doc
no problem Doc, glad I could brighten your day! (BTW post some pics of the new toy when completed)

JC
Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

hey Doc.. you cant run that cheater stuff in Memphis!!! lol!

had i been home friday, my 03R would be here too! dang "signature required" shipping... ill go pick it up monday.

i may be interested in the Swift bodies... can you bring em to TN? lemme know...

Wes
Old 04-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
* Are the original plastic rear uprights in the 03R kit (and the Swift kit) zero degree, 2 degree, or what? Nice to have the option to use zero, 1.5 or 2 degrees of rear toe.
* Seems to me like it would be a good idea to make the rear links slightly longer so as to avoid coning the inside of the rear tires. Anybody tried this yet on their 03R?
Original rear uprights in the Swift kit (and the 03R because they're the Swift ones just chromed) are 2 degree.

Not sure what you mean about coning on the rears? My tire wear is perfectly flat and even on the rear all the time with the standard links. Going to longer rears would almost give you positive camber?
Old 04-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Wes- yes, I can bring the bodies to TN if you are interested- let me know via e-mail addy above. And didn't a certain someone run their brandy-new TA05 at Memphis in '05 before the first shipment hit Aliso??? ...not that you won with it or anything! Not sure whether the 03R stuff will be legal for Memphis anyway, especially if Fred is still using the 30-day-in-the-USA-rule, so may just run my existing setup until Fremont in June.

Tony-
ALL of my rears cone on the inside when run on asphalt. Type A slicks eventually develop the 'ridge of death' where the tread separates from the inside sidewall, but S-Grips and M-Grips just lose their tread there. Go figure. Could be setup, could be driving style.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Thats interesting.... Certainly its not something that I've seen myslef and most of the guys I run with dont have the problem either. Front, yes.... But not rears.

Could be because our cars are REAL low... Like 3-4 mm ride height and that's what makes the difference.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Beats me...mine is that low as well.

See attached tire pic. Left is an S-grip, right is a Type A. When I look at my Mini from the rear when loaded and ready to run, there is definite negative camber and the camber gain is pretty steep. I'm hoping that some combination of link placement and length with the new rear uprights will help me to cut down on camber gain and give me a flatter wear pattern. If not, well, the results show that the car's pretty fast the way it is...

Wes- see attached pic of white Swift body.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-swift-white-body.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-tire-pic.jpg  
Old 04-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

And here's some HPI X patterns straight off my race car...

Maybe the problem isnt with the camber per se, but is part of the tyre/insert combination?

I've been through half a dozen sets of worn tyres and they're all the same with nice wear patterns. But NONE of them are Tamiya.

Last edited by tony gray; 08-06-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Could be. We frequently run foam inserts on the back and they definitely cone more than the ones with molded inserts. And everything I run on my Mini is Tamiya, which could also be a factor...
Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've done some searching both here and rc-mini.net and can't find this answer. Does the HPI VW Beetle Cup Wide Body 140mm ( 7607 ) fit any wheelbase M03?

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/7607.html
Old 04-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

That is a 1/18 scale body...it would be much too small for a mini
Old 04-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Here is HPI's bug that will fit the mini 225mm wheelbase

Last edited by Core Creations; 07-22-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Rookie

muahdib4 and Core Creations,

I am likely purchasing one of the Tamiya Mini's and would like to race it. I live in the KC area.

From what I understand, the Hobbytown on Metcalf may have a class for these cars this year. Is that true that you know of? The guy at the store I talked to didn't seem to think so.

Does Fastlane have a specific class for them?

One last question. I am leaning towards the M-03L chassis. Does it have any advantages over the shorter wheelbase versions other than maybe aftermarket body choices?

These cars look like a lot of fun as I will be new to car racing and want to keep it on the reasonable side of the cost scale.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisP
That is a 1/18 scale body...it would be much too small for a mini
Originally Posted by Core Creations
Here is HPI's bug that will fit the mini 225mm wheelbase
Thanks guys. I didn't catch anywhere that the one I linked to was a 1/18th scale body. Hah! Anyway thank you for the other link. Bettle body here I come!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.