Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Originally Posted by NewRCSim
Hi there everyone.

I just recently picked up a M-04 from one of the guys at our track. I have been doing some research, and have yet to find an actually Mini Cooper body for this car (it is M-04M model, 225mm wheelbase). I currently have the Eunos Roadster body mounted on it. Also have an HPI Honda Civic waiting to be painted up and mounted. I just wanted to know if there were any actually Mini Cooper bodies that fit the 225mm, medium wheelbase.

Thanks again everyone,
One of the best bodies for M-04M is the HPI miata . It comes with a touring car style wing . The Eunos Roadster is the best for Tamiya class TCS racing.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

Hi all,
Has anyone applied Velcro to the side of the body on the end of the battery clamps? Just wondering if that is worth it or not. Also regarding the sideways movement of the wheels, has anyone shimmed this out?

Cheers all
Old 07-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boons
Hi all,
Has anyone applied Velcro to the side of the body on the end of the battery clamps? Just wondering if that is worth it or not. Also regarding the sideways movement of the wheels, has anyone shimmed this out?

Cheers all
if you mean in the axle then yes, shim most of it out. in the rear its normally i think 0.4mm shim or more, front maybe 0.2mm
but you want a tiny amount of play, as if there is none when you tighten the wheels up it wont spin free
Old 07-30-2013, 02:04 AM
Tech Adept

Yes the axles, please excuse my newbie terminology

Would you shim at the hex side or the chassis side?

Thank you

Originally Posted by I)arkness
if you mean in the axle then yes, shim most of it out. in the rear its normally i think 0.4mm shim or more, front maybe 0.2mm
but you want a tiny amount of play, as if there is none when you tighten the wheels up it wont spin free
Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

up to you either side works, i always shim the inner side, mainly just so if i take the hex off i dont lose the shims
Old 07-30-2013, 05:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by I)arkness
up to you either side works, i always shim the inner side, mainly just so if i take the hex off i dont lose the shims
Cool thank you
Old 07-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

How does the M chassis get affected with battery weight? I am only allowed to use NIMH at my club and mine, 3700mah, weighs 377 grams!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

How does the M chassis get affected with battery weight? I am only allowed to use NIMH at my club and mine, 3700mah, weighs 377 grams!
Lighter isn't always better. The lipos I'm using now are about 150 grams lighter, but there's also about 100 grams of weight added to the Mini in various places. Both my M03's are approx 1350 grams with body and battery. The M05's may be a tad heavier.

rc-mini did an article a few years ago about adding weight when going to lipos from nimh batteries. You might see if it's still up on their site.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Granpa
Lighter isn't always better. The lipos I'm using now are about 150 grams lighter, but there's also about 100 grams of weight added to the Mini in various places. Both my M03's are approx 1350 grams with body and battery. The M05's may be a tad heavier.

rc-mini did an article a few years ago about adding weight when going to lipos from nimh batteries. You might see if it's still up on their site.
Cheers Granpa

Yeah I'll check that article out. It's a shame there isn't a local club to me that accepts modified lipo'd Mini's as I'd love to how they can really shift
Old 07-30-2013, 01:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

We've had a few here running between 1400g-1500g. The cars are planted, but maintaining speed through corners is VITAL.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

My MO5L with body and battery is 1368 gms ready to race. As they say lighter is not always better. Some prefer a heavier car to suit there driving style.

just my opinion.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

We run Nimh's in our series with black can motor and standard TEU104BK speedo. My car would be one of the lighter ones but some are 30% heavier and the racing is always close, it all down to driving style as the others have said.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

This "driving style" thing is something I've been as guilty as anyone for advancing. Upon careful reflection tho, it's been a crutch used to spare peoples "feelings". Let's just call it political correctness.

Let's be honest here and call it the drivers skill level. I have a very good friend, whose cars are nearly impossible for me to drive. He is also one of the fastest, if not the fastest driver here locally. In his hands, his Minis are very quick. Now my contention is that this has nothing to do with "style" and everything to do with driver skill.

Another thing that "style" may be confused with is what could be called "driver preference". Some drivers prefer a Mini that has sensitive steering and others do not. And so on. Over the years, my preferences have changed as my skill level went up. My thinking on set ups etc has also evolved.

If a Mini "handles", it "handles". Driving style has little to do with it. Everyone knows how and what adjustments to make to change the car to suit ones preferences. And yes, some base setups are "better than others, but that again has nothing to do with style.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

I've just 'shimmed' my axles out front and back. Just a bit of play now. I wonder if it will make any difference at all!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

I've just 'shimmed' my axles out front and back. Just a bit of play now. I wonder if it will make any difference at all!
Not really.

That's just one of many "little" things careful builders do. Taken alone each thing may make little if any difference. In total, maybe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.