Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by woodys3b
The only advice I would give you is that since you are starting from scratch, adopt the rules as written. It's easier than making allowances for other motors/speedos/bodies now and then trying to get back to the rules as written later.
You could allow people to use any esc's they might already have and motors they might already have to reduce barriers to joining up and having some fun.

The fact is there is very little difference in ROAR approved motors and even less difference, if any, in esc's with spec settings or non boosting esc's.

Wide open doors, more people, more fun!

Tekin Prez
Old 01-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Though that is really "wide open no-spec rules" right from the beginning and that has proven itself to NOT work long-term anywhere in the country. It will take 2 weeks for people to be using $200 ESCs and motors that aren't easily teched (rotors, ceramic bearings, etc.)

Wide open rules is NOT spec racing and doesn't work. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Don't waste your time with "open" run-whatcha-brung VTA classes.

If Tekin wants to be a part of USVTA spec racing, you should consider producing a small, true zero-timing spec ESC under $100 and stop trying to convince everyone to bypass the spec class rules to allow your computer programmable ESCs in "spec" mode.

Harsh, maybe, but like I recently said here, I use Tekin in everything except VTA. I would use a Tekin for VTA if one was made for this application, and not something that can be hooked up to a laptop. Make a legal piece of electronics for spec classes like this (that are getting more an more popular for a very good reason). The fact that the "spec" setting on previous programs was NOT zero timing—or false zero timing—leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth about the commitment to level playing field racing without electronic aids like "cheat" or Turbo mode from Tekin.

Build it, get it approved by the USVTA and people will use it. Simple as that. Until then, trying to convince people to bypass the spec class rules to run "open" rules defeats the whole purpose of this class, and makes Tekin look bad.

Just my government cheese 2˘.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squarehead
Though that is really "wide open no-spec rules" right from the beginning and that has proven itself to NOT work long-term anywhere in the country. It will take 2 weeks for people to be using $200 ESCs and motors that aren't easily teched (rotors, ceramic bearings, etc.)

Wide open rules is NOT spec racing and doesn't work. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Don't waste your time with "open" run-whatcha-brung VTA classes.

If Tekin wants to be a part of USVTA spec racing, you should consider producing a small, true zero-timing spec ESC under $100 and stop trying to convince everyone to bypass the spec class rules to allow your computer programmable ESCs in "spec" mode.

Harsh, maybe, but like I recently said here, I use Tekin in everything except VTA. I would use a Tekin for VTA if one was made for this application, and not something that can be hooked up to a laptop. Make a legal piece of electronics for spec classes like this (that are getting more an more popular for a very good reason). The fact that the "spec" setting on previous programs was NOT zero timing—or false zero timing—leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth about the commitment to level playing field racing without electronic aids like "cheat" or Turbo mode from Tekin.

Build it, get it approved by the USVTA and people will use it. Simple as that. Until then, trying to convince people to bypass the spec class rules to run "open" rules defeats the whole purpose of this class, and makes Tekin look bad.

Amen! I would dump brand x like yesterday for a tasty little TRUE Spec offering from Team Tekin! Build it Tekin, It will be a hit I guarantee, we all want it!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodys3b
What keeps people in the class is the tight racing and speeds that aren't intimidating for the noob.

That being said, maybe a GT class that uses GT bodies and HPI X-pattern belted tires could be what you need. For all practical purposes, these tires are the rubber touring car equivalent to the HPI VTA tires. If you use USVTA rules with just these two changes, you essentially have VTA that appeals to the younger crowd.
Originally Posted by Evoracer
At present, we're offering exactly what you're suggesting. We just re-started the club though and have only had our first get together recently.As of now we offer a GT class using 21.5 no timing and either the x pattern or solaris tires. I really like the stability of VTA and ,as many of you know, GT racing (or whatever iteration you have locally) has been a cluster for awhile and is now basically whatever each group decides it to be.
I'm not real comfortable with that prospect. I like the idea of being part of a larger group and so do many other drivers, especially newer ones. That's why I was asking how others have promoted it. I need to make that commitment now though, before I've asked people to invest in motors and other items they don't need.
Thank you two for finally making me NOT be the only person who has suggested this. Actually I think RobK came up with a similar class not to long ago.

I have wanted a "Sports Car" class for a long time. Slow and reasonable like VTA but with more body and wheel choices. At first I was trying to get VTA to meet me there and it caused a big riff between me and those guys. Now I appreciate VTA for what it is, but I still would like something with more loose rules to go with it.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

RCGT, Kent, a great class and a wonderful sister class to the USVTA.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Old 01-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk

OH HE77 YEAH!!!!! LETS DANCE...."A" MAIN HERE I COME...WHOOOOOOO!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default servo torque?

Hey guys im looking to upgrade to a faster servo. How much torque does a car need running the rubber HPI vta tires. Fast digital servo's are around 130oz. of torque give or take and weigh around 55 grams. I see some with around 50 oz. of torque that weigh less than 30 grams. Right now on my tc5 i have 35 grams of balance weight on battery side of chassis opposit of steering servo. Sure would be nice to eliminate a lot of that balance weight and lighten the car up overall.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcwanaB
Hey guys im looking to upgrade to a faster servo. How much torque does a car need running the rubber HPI vta tires. Fast digital servo's are around 130oz. of torque give or take and weigh around 55 grams. I see some with around 50 oz. of torque that weigh less than 30 grams. Right now on my tc5 i have 35 grams of balance weight on battery side of chassis opposit of steering servo. Sure would be nice to eliminate a lot of that balance weight and lighten the car up overall.
I've ran many of the Futaba s9551 or S9550 (Same servo) for a looooong time with no issues from any of them and they can be bought pretty cheap used to if you wanna go that route. They are about 20 grams lighter than a standard size servo too, FYI.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

Ive got the 9551 and 9550 in my TC5's(vta/tc) and have had nothing but the best luck with them...got the 9550 used, and the 9551 new when it came out...havent removed either since..

FUTM0661 Futaba S9551 Digital Low Profile Servo $84.99
Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
OH HE77 YEAH!!!!! LETS DANCE...."A" MAIN HERE I COME...WHOOOOOOO!!!
THAT RCGT BELT WILL HAVE TO BE PRIED FROM MY COLD DEAD RADIO HAND!

BRING IT!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Tech Champion

sorry about your hands....
Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

RCGT, Kent, a great class and a wonderful sister class to the USVTA.
Yeah... I agree. I saw somewhere there was a track that was running RCGT with VTA powerplant rules. But that was the previous generation of rules. I am SOL for onroad anyway. Nashville is the best option for me there, and it is really good racing, but at 2.5 hours away, I just can't do that very often.

About the servo. I have a SAvox that is blister quick and very torquey. It was less than $70, if you want another option than the futaba.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Harsh, maybe, but like I recently said here, I use Tekin in everything except
VTA. I would use a Tekin for VTA if one was made for this application, and not something that can be hooked up to a laptop. Make a legal piece of electronics for spec classes like this (that are getting more an more popular for a very good reason). The fact that the "spec" setting on previous programs was NOT zero timing—or false zero timing—leaves a bad taste in everyone's
mouth about the commitment to level playing field racing without electronic aids like "cheat" or Turbo mode from Tekin.

Why not have one speed controller that will be competitive in all classes not just one. I've seen year after year where we race one class this year and change the next year. My Tekin will handle all classes rather VTA or 17.5 spec or boosted, and that was the main reason I bought it. I know you think people don't leave our sport because someone changes the rules but they do. We're tired of changing all this crap out to be compliant with the new rules. I have a vta car that was ran all summer with a Tekin and a 21.5 motor. I had a blast and truly liked this class the most, but I'm not buying another speed controller when mine is capable of running in spec mode. If you're saying my speed controller in spec mode is not actually spec then call Tekin out and prove it's not. They can either make it compatible or say they aren't able to comply with the requirements.

Again my complaint is these rules change all the time. 17.5 one year, 21.5 motor the next year, then half way thru the year Novak produces the ballistic 21.5 motor. I buy one those and now this year I need new speed controller, and a 25.5 motor to race, cmon..............
Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jgraham37128
Why not have one speed controller that will be competitive in all classes not just one. I've seen year after year where we race one class this year and change the next year. My Tekin will handle all classes rather VTA or 17.5 spec or boosted, and that was the main reason I bought it. I know you think people don't leave our sport because someone changes the rules but they do. We're tired of changing all this crap out to be compliant with the new rules. I have a vta car that was ran all summer with a Tekin and a 21.5 motor. I had a blast and truly liked this class the most, but I'm not buying another speed controller when mine is capable of running in spec mode. If you're saying my speed controller in spec mode is not actually spec then call Tekin out and prove it's not. They can either make it compatible or say they aren't able to comply with the requirements.

Again my complaint is these rules change all the time. 17.5 one year, 21.5 motor the next year, then half way thru the year Novak produces the ballistic 21.5 motor. I buy one those and now this year I need new speed controller, and a 25.5 motor to race, cmon..............
It's been discussed over and over. Suck it up, conform and comply or simply don't run the class...
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.