Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

we all wrote about RCGT at the same time...
Old 11-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
At the club level, a lot of tracks have opened up the body rules a bit.
I donno about "a lot," as I only know of a couple out of the 4 or 5 dozen tracks running USVTA-type classes that aren't sticking to our guidelines.

Dale, while I am a big fan of the new pony cars, they really don't have a place in this class (hence the "Vintage" in the USVTA). I would be disappointed to see them developed for a split of this class, as well. Personally, I see things like that being more detrimental to class development than helpful.

Like others, though, I would like to see some more options developed for the UVSTA, like the previously mentioned '70 Boss 302, '70 AMX Javelin, '68 Cougar, etc. I think a healthy and growing T/A class could always use a few more realistic options in the mix. I would love to see options from Protoform on the horizon.

doug
Old 11-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Guys;

I guess I should get out more - lol! Spending too much time making dust. I had no idea that there was even such a thing as an RCGT class. Thanks to all of you for steering me to the right forum. It seems like a great class! Perfect place for the new generation ponycars. Is it primarily a "west coast" thing right now in your opinions?

dragracer72Nova;
At this point in time we are only considering doing VTA bodies. It's not on my to-do list quite yet. Seems like there's a pretty good choice already (other than the ones that Racer X79 mentioned) and some really nice bodies as well.

Dale - Protoform
Old 11-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by daleepp
Guys;

I guess I should get out more - lol! Spending too much time making dust. I had no idea that there was even such a thing as an RCGT class. Thanks to all of you for steering me to the right forum. It seems like a great class! Perfect place for the new generation ponycars. Is it primarily a "west coast" thing right now in your opinions?
RCGT, I think, is the reason it'll be difficult to get USVTA going out here in socal, but I will persevere! It's where many racers are going for their "fun" second class.

dragracer72Nova;
At this point in time we are only considering doing VTA bodies. It's not on my to-do list quite yet. Seems like there's a pretty good choice already (other than the ones that Racer X79 mentioned) and some really nice bodies as well.

Dale - Protoform
Please reconsider! In my opinion, USVTA will not be complete until there is a '70 Mustang Boss 302 with realism on par with the HPI offerings. If you make one I pledge to run it exclusively for the rest of my USVTA career. That is, unless a '67 Mustang notch comes out.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:30 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

what? 12 scale worlds entry total was down, so ROAR thinks 'go get T/A'????

APEX, gotta wake up and seeing what is going to happen to your ingenius work. How many more times should somethin so good go this way...

It'll be hard for ROAR to come in on the Slash next since it is 1 manufacturer. But then again nothing seems to be totally impossible for MEOW.

R
Old 11-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

QUESTION: do you think there would be a place in the RC landscape to race these body styles? Maybe even an all new class in your series for retro looking 2009/2010 ponycars - ya know, done up just like the Trans Am car of the early 70's?
Hi Dale,

Glad to see you looking at the VTA thread...and I'd love to see a Protoform 67 Mustang Fastback, or 63 Falcon - lol (The falcons look so out of place with the later cars)

IMHO the NEW Pony Cars should have been the idea and direction of the 200mm Pan Car class that is trying to get off the ground in the U.S....but I believe it is or has gone a different direction. (I don't know cause I don't see it sprouting up ANYWHERE I've been.)

Doug put together a nice package with the US VTA, yet I see people trying to distort it at every corner...the biggest issue I saw with it is on certain tracks...it is even kind of slow for the rookies. That would be fine if we could get 20 car fields though....then it wouldn't FEEL slow (with all 20 on the track at the same time)
Old 11-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Dale:
I'm in for no less than 6 of those new Protoform '68 Cougars, and I'll take a few Javelins as well!

The above was actually serious, but on the REAL industry tip: Dale - just go for it ASAP and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Research the class and the cars and pick whichever ones turn you on and just DO IT. This racing class and this group of fanatical racers are the real deal, and truthfully (I'm giving away trade secrets here in public, but I don't care) - this is the future of TC racing in the US and possibly the world.

Be a hero to all these folks by giving them more diversity and realism, and at the same time make a few bucks - don't worry, we'll all applaud you for it!

Seriously, do it Dale :-)
Old 11-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
APEX, gotta wake up and seeing what is going to happen to your ingenius work. How many more times should somethin so good go this way...
I couldn't disagree more. One more time, ROAR IS NOT CHANGING ANYTHING from the USVTA. They are only instituting this class at their own higher level National events, or at least offering the option for it. They only thing they are doing is limiting the power options at the top-most level of racing to the open 21.5/limited LiPo pack, and that is purely for tech reasons.

You will not see ROAR rules of the USVTA package at the local level. Don't get all bent out of shape over it. I guarantee that unless you race at the carpet Nats and choose to run T/A, then you'll face the likliness of people running other 21.5 motors. But at that level, the competition is already WAY higher than any local T/A event will ever have.

Don't worry about what ROAR is or is not doing to the USVTA. It will actually only help the us get more National acceptance at tracks around the country, and maybe even beyond. If it gets more bodies, VTA-ready kits or wheel choices and more manufacturer interest, then it is all the better for us.

But as for them changing an already good thing—it ain't gonna happen.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
what? 12 scale worlds entry total was down, so ROAR thinks 'go get T/A'????

It'll be hard for ROAR to come in on the Slash next since it is 1 manufacturer. But then again nothing seems to be totally impossible for MEOW.

R
Dude, why are you so insanely upset about this? So far I've seen you talking trash about it in the RCGT, ROAR Nats, F1, and TCS threads and who knows where else.

Did someone from ROAR rape you as a child or something?
Old 11-19-2008, 05:29 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

u said d00d. u missed a few but thats a ok.

this class is the best thing to happen to RC since tamiya did TCS. goin away from the stale diluted conventions of the 'establishment'. now their stickin their nose in. doesnt matter how 'high level' it is. it'll trickle down. 1 guy pisses and moans that he spent 80bux on a speed passion 21.5 from his fav motor 'tuner' and he can only use it at nats, and has to spend another 80bux on a novak or keep his present motor for 'club races'. they let him, next wk their all out lookin for better motors. let this in let that in. that mentality has killed every other 'new idea' class on the club level.

i dont wanna see this guys damn good idea die b/c the bloated spent force that is ROAR gets a sniff for somethin actually growin, not dying. when it goes larger, who do you think the track directors will go by. ROAR or 'the head guy on RCtech'. if its still the latter, that'll change when racers complain to use other equip.

i see sales already on novak 21.5s. any takers?

R
Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Vintage Trans Am Enthusiasts;

OK - last night I watched the live SPEED TV show where they unveiled the 2010 Mustang. It was pretty darn nice. So - that means that in just a very few months there will be 3 all new pony cars, the Camaro, the Challenger and the Mustang.
QUESTION: do you think there would be a place in the RC landscape to race these body styles? Maybe even an all new class in your series for retro looking 2009/2010 ponycars - ya know, done up just like the Trans Am car of the early 70's?

Thanks for your consideration and opinions.

Dale Epp - Protoform Race Bodies
Dale,

I see you are your typical enthusiastic but carefull self.

I started Vintage Trans-Am last year because of the Vintage pony car bodies. HPI and others have been molding these bodies for years with no organized racing outlet for them. We considered other types of vintage bodies be allowed, but the look and feel of these races was awkward at best. Watching '57 Chevys, Pantaras, GT-40s, Camaros, Mustangs and pick-up trucks racing each other was way too wierd.

With input and guidence from Scotty Ernst, I developed the first Vintage Trans-Am "Specification" package. Doug took the ball and moved it forward with the creation of USVTA.

In my opinion, the newer muscle cars would only dilute the allure and feel of the class and the ideal set forth with Vintage Trans-Am. As mentioned above, there are many other great cars that ran in the beginings of the 1960's/70's Trans-Am class. The Vintage look is one of the main attributes that seperates Vintage Trans-Am from the typical sedan class. Many racers would love to see detailed Cougars, Firebirds, '66 Barracudas and Fairlanes to name just a few that meet the basic rules of USVTA.

Marty (The Father of Vintage Trans-Am)
http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...ing-class.html
Old 11-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

But are either of these scenarios necessarily any different than where USVTA was headed, rules-wise, anyway? Doug has already indicated the direction we're headed is brushless/lipo only anyway...ROAR just adopt that sooner. Doug has also indicated a willingness to accept other 21.5 motors once ROAR begin to homologate same. Again, ROAR are just accelerating that trend a bit.

NEITHER of these happen other than at ROAR events. They aren't (nor will they) mandating anything at the club level.

Heck...our club diverges from USVTA in that we only allow brushed 27T and 4-cell NiMH packs. It's the right decision for us and is being rewarded with our second consecutive year with substantially growing membership. We're not going to change what we're doing to accomodate ROAR, nor will other member-driven clubs.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Dale:
Please add Qty 6: '66 Barracudas to my list - Hemi under glass baby!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer
Dale:
Please add Qty 6: '66 Barracudas to my list - Hemi under glass baby!
Shawn, That would be a cool Drag Car.

Unfortunatly, the hemi has too much displacement for Trans-Am.

Marty (The Father of Vintage Trans-AM)
http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...ing-class.html
Old 11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

NEITHER of these happen other than at ROAR events. They aren't (nor will they) mandating anything at the club level.

Heck...our club diverges from USVTA in that we only allow brushed 27T and 4-cell NiMH packs. It's the right decision for us and is being rewarded with our second consecutive year with substantially growing membership. We're not going to change what we're doing to accomodate ROAR, nor will other member-driven clubs.
Something that confuses a lot of people is that ROAR does NOTHING to Mandate LOCAL / CLUB classes, and encourages tracks and clubs to create classes that best fit THEIR NEEDS.

The structure of ROAR classes is to set standards for REGIONAL and NATIONAL events. Some tracks and clubs adhere to those class rules for their club races...so they have a written rule book to follow... THIS IS NOT MANDATORY to be a ROAR TRACK or CLUB!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.