Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stregone
Are you guys running 25.5 or 21.5? I'm trying to broach the idea of running VTA at my track but I'm not getting much positive reception when I mention 25.5. Everyone thinks it will be too slow on our medium/large-ish parking lot track. Back straight is between 140 and 180 feet depending on the layout.
Originally Posted by robk
One of the tracks here has a 225ft back straight (gas cars). It's not a problem. Ever draft a VTA car?

One solution that does work and is more fun than anything else is running as many cars as the computer will score. They have run up to 20 cars in a race at the track I'm talking about...awesome.
Rob's talking about Leisure Hours Raceway in Joliet, IL. Despite the huge layout, VTA was one of the most popular classes last summer. We were gearing down in the mid to low 3s which made it a challenge to maintain corner speed everywhere else. There's a lot of skill involved even on a big track. The fastest guys could easily keep up with average 21.5 cars. And yes, drafting is a blast. So are 17 car mains (although there were a few people that didn't care for this too much). The lower speeds on the large scale track just add to the realism of the race. Check out some of the photos from one of last season's bigger events. The cars just look too real!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I saw the results at Hotshots...Im loving it...hope some of you guys get to come to Thunder Jam...its a great event based around VTA...USVTA with Trophies and cash payout...
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Our new GTB2 with X-Drive is our latest update to our premium Spec/Sportsman-only controller. This is what we say about the X-Drive update:

We have submitted several new controllers to ROAR for approval including this one. Since this is a spec-only controller---no PC interface, non-timing/boost, not externally programmable/updateable, no blinky led---we expect a speedy approval and addition to the ROAR approved list of Sportsman controllers.

These new features do not affect motor timing, but we always want to add new features that offer our customers the highest performance, affordable spec-only controller to compete in the "blinky" mode against the 250.00 escs.

As I have said before---in reference to USVTA 25.5T motor operation---high performance escs and hop-up motor accessories are not required to achieve satisfactory and competitive results.
So... will this make the 25.5 "faster"?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slashdriver
Novak says "More power for nearly all applications." Unless it follows the motor phase firing strategy set forth by ROAR (which they seem to imply it does not), then it will have to be evaluated very carefully....what point is it if every VTA driver has to suddenly go out and run the thing because it has more power than all the havoc's, gtb 1's, cirtix, etc.?
Bolding mine. Nearly all, but not every application.

My VTA car is faster in the big straight than everyone else at our track, but not because of horsepower, and not because I'm doing anything funny with motor/transmission/gear (we run a 4:00 max FDR rule, I'm close to that).

Anything that allows somebody else to feel better and spend $100 because they think they are getting out motored by me when the fact the reason I'm faster happens two corners earlier and is totally free is fine by me. I'm going to say this a once, and repeat it a million times:

PEOPLE! VTA is not a horsepower critical class. It's a chassis setup and driver consistency class. You are not getting out-motored in 25.5 where you spend the majority of the lap at partial throttle.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

ha ha...
Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
PEOPLE! VTA is not a horsepower critical class. It's a chassis setup and driver consistency class. You are not getting out-motored in 25.5 where you spend the majority of the lap at partial throttle.
No way Craig! We are racing circa 1970's American Muscle Cars, so we have to represent that much muscle in our 1/10 scale cars! Gotta get more HORSEPOWER!!

Oh, by the way, my avatar pic looks prettier than yours.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
No way Craig! We are racing circa 1970's American Muscle Cars, so we have to represent that much muscle in our 1/10 scale cars! Gotta get more HORSEPOWER!!

Not really sure about the avatar argument, his edges yours out.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Here's your new Avatar fellas... "If she was a President, she'd be Babe-raham Lincoln."

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
One of the tracks here has a 225ft back straight (gas cars). It's not a problem. Ever draft a VTA car?
and slingshot the sweeper, looking forward to August
Old 01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Not all tracks are tight indoor tracks. We run VTA on an outdoor asphalt track with a 170' straight, a track that also runs 1/8 nitro cars. We are easily flat out, 100% throttle for the majority of the track. The difference between stock 30* timing and 45* timing on a ballistic is very obvious on track, and worth about ten car lengths on our straight - that's how much time we spend on power at top speed.

So far, all the ESC's (whether gtb or havoc or whatever) have not shown any power / top speed advantange, but if the new x-drive DOES show an advantage, it would instantly become an issue on our track.

So, while power may not be critical on a smaller carpet track, it may very well be on something larger...

Old 01-14-2012, 03:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
Sidney Spies might be too sexy for her high school yearbook, but she'll do fine for an avatar. Wonder if she does dishes? The yearbook also rejected this photo earlier this week for being too sexy:

I say give her the pole and let her have at it, why stop the woman from being exploited when she's trying to do it to herself.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Sidney Spies might be too sexy for her high school yearbook, but she'll do fine for an avatar. Wonder if she does dishes? The yearbook also rejected this photo earlier this week for being too sexy:

I say give her the pole and let her have at it, why stop the woman from being exploited when she's trying to do it to herself.
I've heard some people make a similar argument for why they go to boob bars, that and paying tuition one dollar at a time!!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Anybody racing?
Old 01-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default The Track @ Harbor Hobbies Presents: 2012 U.S. VTA Scale Nationals!!

Go to this link to check for the latest News and Information....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...nationals.html

Here is a copy of the flier....

Old 01-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MCSEDanny
Has this been discussed and decided if legal or not?

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/es...ive/index.html
hopefully it will be since ALL GTB2's will be coming with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.