Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
No doubt! It's amazing what a few instances of leniency will do for the racer turnout. Ray Murray's VTA/RCGT program is a great testament to this philosophy.
Hey Greg - where are the nekkid ladies on the jacksonrc site?? I was duped
Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Fair enough Darkside, but why not allow 240Z bodies then? It will open it up to more people.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spngr311
Fair enough Darkside, but why not allow 240Z bodies then? It will open it up to more people.
That sounds more like a permanent change, not the temporary run-whatcha-brung type of grid filling.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Then why not allow any motor/battery combination available and regulate the speeds with gearing?

And while my suggestion would be more permanent, it still does the same thing as relaxing the rules on the motors - it brings the appeal to more people.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Then why not allow any motor/battery combination available and regulate the speeds with gearing?

And while my suggestion would be more permanent, it still does the same thing as relaxing the rules on the motors - it brings the appeal to more people.
I would disagree on the basis that this class has proven that keeping the motor constant reduces the amount of homework and expense needed to get on track. Personally, it's the expense I am more concerned with, as there will always be a faster motor coming out next month.

The issue with regulating speeds with gearing is that it requires the track to police the entire process, which from my experience is quite difficult and unneccesary (unneccesary when the alternative is to simply have the entire field run one motor). I run tech for VTA at my local track and can attest that it's hard enough to police the FDR on the 21.5s, so I wouldn't want to ALSO be constantly adjusting the gear limits on all the different 21.5s.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Anyone have any clue when there will be some updating to the USVTA rules regarding bodies. There have been a couple bodies released since the current list was drawn up and I would like to try them.

The new HPI 67 Corvette is SICK! I dont see how it would offer any advantage and therefore I see no reason why it should not be added.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
I would disagree on the basis that this class has proven that keeping the motor constant reduces the amount of homework and expense needed to get on track. Personally, it's the expense I am more concerned with, as there will always be a faster motor coming out next month.

The issue with regulating speeds with gearing is that it requires the track to police the entire process, which from my experience is quite difficult and unneccesary (unneccesary when the alternative is to simply have the entire field run one motor). I run tech for VTA at my local track and can attest that it's hard enough to police the FDR on the 21.5s, so I wouldn't want to ALSO be constantly adjusting the gear limits on all the different 21.5s.
This is where I am going - my posts were more playing devil's advocate to show that we should just stick with the way the rules are written.

As far as other bodies, the corvette did not run in the trans-am series of the era that the USVTA is modeled after.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Anyone have any clue when there will be some updating to the USVTA rules regarding bodies. There have been a couple bodies released since the current list was drawn up and I would like to try them.

The new HPI 67 Corvette is SICK! I dont see how it would offer any advantage and therefore I see no reason why it should not be added.
oh no, not again...

stop trying to get the rules changed to serve your own needs/wants...

if your local track runs VTA, then ask them to let you run the damn 'vettes...there is no reason to change the class as a whole for 1 body

stop, quit it, its getting old....this class works on so many levels and people are too freakin' blind to see it....
Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
oh no, not again...

if your local track runs VTA, then ask them to let you run the damn 'vettes...there is no reason to change the class as a whole for 1 body

stop, quit it, its getting old....this class works on so many levels and people are too freakin' blind to see it....
WTF?!?!? I dont think updating the number of bodies allowed really amounts to changing the class.

It's a body! A body from 1967!

By the way, I am the "local track", and I will allow it. My post is an inquiry as to when the USVTA rules might see some updates.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
WTF?!?!? I dont think updating the number of bodies allowed really amounts to changing the class.

It's a body! A body from 1967!

By the way, I am the "local track", and I will allow it. My post is an inquiry as to when the USVTA rules might see some updates.
nothing personal...but every couple of months its the same crap "when will the rules change", 'how come the rules haven't changed for X or Y', 'when can we see changes in the rules','why not allow the vettes'

it just gets old...

so far, the vette is 'new' body that's been release...but like spngr311 said, it didn't run in Trans Am at the same time as this class is based on - so that would be the biggest reason as to why they still aren't legal..

and I really wish there were more bodies available - like a javelin, or the ford falcon
Old 07-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I can understand the body rule that the Corvette did not run in Vintage Trans-Am racing so USVTA is trying to keep with in the spirit of the class. With our track since were not in a points season and there is not much of a turn out because of the local offroad track in our area the rules are "relaxed" since for now racing is Exhibition so they let us play with diffrent tires,bodys electronics have to be "legal" but we agreed and alow testing like one guy tryed a 4 cell with a 21.5 BL one guy tryed slicks and another driver tryed running his body backwards! that one realy screwed us up but as long as no one disagreed with what we were doing it was all in fun when points start up in fall we follow the rules so try your local track if its just "fun racing" they shouldent have too much of a problem. I bet the Vette would look cool on the track
Old 07-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Initiate

After the factory teams pulled out of the SCCA Trans Am in 1971 the SCCA saw the writing on the wall and in 1973 they allowed sports cars to compete. So after 1972 you did indeed see Corvettes, Jags, and other two seater sports cars in the Trans Am. However since the rules are supposed to be about the golden years of Trans Am that limits you to cars that had a back seat, Camaros, Mustangs, ad Cuda, as well as a few cars that no one makes in R/C form just yet (Javelin, Challenger, Firebird, and more).

Personally if someone wants to allow the Vette, or any other period body to race at there track...well I say go for it, but the VTA body rules are just fine the way they are.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would like to see other legal bodies, which is why I contacted Protofrom, HPI and McAllister to see if they would produce other bodies we could use. I would suggest that others do the same so that they know there is more interest.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
oh no, not again...

its just a question....I mean I dont even like the guy, he keeps trying to take my t-shirt..lol...but its just a Question?..thats all...

hey Q, if you are interested in running that body, I would suggest you PM RK, and let him tell you directly...or goto the FAQ thread...but its your track...you do whats best....cya at BTH 09
Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the whole point is to allow some of these TOURING CAR guys a way out...to make a long story short...

VTA CLASS was told as a stock class, stock motors(17.5/27t), on 6 cell/lipo, with old school America muscle, with spec tires and old stlye rims....this it what sold our area on this class...most of our on-road racers ran high dollar TC cars with 13.5/lipo/6 cell..on foam..YUK!...so with the idea of running a spec class that didnt need you to have high dollar TC cars..it blew up...but since 99% of our local racers ran lipo....there was no way our Race Directors was going with the 4cell rule...so he came up with the resrtiction on the FDR..

now all Im saying is VTA needs racers..PERIOD!...if we dont allow ppl coming in and most are coming from TC 13.5 or 17.5...to give them options to try it before you buy it...they will race something else or nothing at all...look at the Georgia On-road scene...they have several on-road tracks..but no on-road racing to talk about...I bring loaners all the time, and that works as well..

this isnt a permenant solution, but it will help new ppl and returning TC racers
and they will upgrade once the get their foot in the door...

ps..if your track allows any changes to the rules(USVTA)...please make them aware of the official rules so they can push in that direction...that includes bodies as well...cause we run all old school American Muscle..Nova, Chargers, Vettes, Superbirds, Chevells...we do them all...and none have a advantage over another..not at these speeds anyway....

oh almost forgot..tech..is easy as long as you have a non-racer doing it..if you are racing ...you are asking for a head-ache..and cheating

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 07-02-2009 at 05:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.