Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:51 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hope you guys take off w/this. loox quite good and should add a bit of taste in this bland time we race in now.

R
Old 02-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Trans Am rocks and so does my lime green thunder machine !!!

i am going to use my super spoiler to roll out on you guys at the nationals !
Old 02-02-2008, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Trans Am rocks and so does my lime green thunder machine !!!

i am going to use my super spoiler to roll out on you guys at the nationals !

That spoiler better be taped to the top of your head.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nuIq7dLmGEo

Racing in Omaha at the HobbyPlex. First part is Trans Am.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Kewl vid padailey.

We will be hopefully running our first Trans Am class race a week from tomorrow at our clubs season opener!

It's a small club and we run on a small parking lot track. We have about 6 racers willing to start the class. And we are going to use the SiR 6 cell Nimh and Silver Can motor setup for our class.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Great video!

Remember, if your track is running T/A, send us the track info so we can get it on the website, and remember to note if you are using any altered rules or are using the USVTA rules setup exactly.

doug
Old 02-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

We'll I've got one other person to build a car and give it a try at our club events. I would not list us as a club yet, but we'll see.

CORRC, Colorado On Road RC Club - www.OnRoadColorado.com
Old 02-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nuIq7dLmGEo

Racing in Omaha at the HobbyPlex. First part is Trans Am.
Nice vid!

Great to see that white Mustang showing that green car around the track!
Old 02-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Summit RC Raceway, In Fort Wayne is developing a Trans-Am class from the ashes of our dwindling Rubber T/C crowd. 2 of us debuted them today and received a positive response. We expect to add 2 or 3 this Tuesday. and more expanding over the next few weeks. The only Rule change we will make is to remove the FDR restriction on 17.5. This is a tedious item to check.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by miller tyme
Summit RC Raceway, In Fort Wayne is developing a Trans-Am class from the ashes of our dwindling Rubber T/C crowd. 2 of us debuted them today and received a positive response. We expect to add 2 or 3 this Tuesday. and more expanding over the next few weeks. The only Rule change we will make is to remove the FDR restriction on 17.5. This is a tedious item to check.
That's cool. Not really tedious, though, as all brushless cars will be IDENTICAL speeds. If you spot someone going faster—tech their gears. So far, it hasn't been necessary, as it works on the honor system. But it does allow people to competitively use brushed stock motors.

Send me your track's info when you get it all up and running. You guys should plan on coming to the T/A Nats in April, too.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme

I agree with doug , if you are also allowing brushed stock motors you have to go with the fdr limit or the brushed motors will have no shot. running the fdr of 4.0 is awesome cause you honestly cannot tell what cars are brushed or what are brushless. I hope you reconsider
Old 02-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Xtant3150c
Kewl vid padailey.

We will be hopefully running our first Trans Am class race a week from tomorrow at our clubs season opener!

It's a small club and we run on a small parking lot track. We have about 6 racers willing to start the class. And we are going to use the SiR 6 cell Nimh and Silver Can motor setup for our class.
I think the main reason we at SIR went with the silvercan is due to the fact that Li-Po is like at 70% in use and we probably have a abundance of Silver cans due to the large Tamiya crowd plus we use a 5.8:1 Final ratio to keep it close.

Patrick
Team SIR
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-0202082040.jpg  

Last edited by Skruger; 02-04-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks for the info Patrick.

We are going with the Silver can kind of for the same reason as we have quite a bit of Mini owners that all run black cans so they have silver cans on hand.

I wish we could run LiPo! But we can't! So the 6 cell Nimh will work for us.

I did some testing with the US Vintage Trans Am setup of 4 cell nimh and 27t stock motor. Our issue with that setup is that our track is in a parking lot that is on an incline. For me this setup kind of struggled on our track. I was running a fdr of 5.67. Switched to a fdr of 5.97 and it felt a little better.

But we decided for now that going with the Silver can/6 cell Nimh would make it a little easier for new people that might want to join in. We are also going to try a 6.58 fdr to start with. We don't have a lot of racers into it right now so we will pretty much be seeing how things go and make changes if needed.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallstreet
I agree with doug , if you are also allowing brushed stock motors you have to go with the fdr limit or the brushed motors will have no shot. running the fdr of 4.0 is awesome cause you honestly cannot tell what cars are brushed or what are brushless. I hope you reconsider
We ran 3 cars, 2 pure T/A with brushed motors, 3rd was running CS-27 tires DNA body and 4 cell 17.5. The brushless started at 4.09 FDR and was noticably slower than the brushed he went to about a 3.8 and was more evenly paced. And we were running tuned CO-27's from our 1/12 cars and we still have not elected to put the bearings in yet. All 3 of us are solid drivers with 20+ experience ea.

We are starting this class as a slower FUN class but racrers by nature will still attempt to squeeze every oz of speed they can. A 3.95 may not even be noticable on the track but it's would still be illegal so your still back to teching them all.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

We at Hobbytown Oshkosh, Wi went with the Traxxas Stinger 20 turn for two reasons. 1. Less expense for the beginners. No brushes and lathe needed. 2. No special motor tuning. Spend time on handling and driving skills. Also no motor tampering. Besides that, the Stinger is only $20. Runs forever too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.