Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...what is this - a GT3 invasion of the VTA thread...

We should have a couple NEWBIES running the VTA with us at our next local race. Even with our LHS closing their doors, we're going to try to keep the local racing alive...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default Bad Boys

Hey Joe, I heard Bad Boys was closing. to bad. Are all there stores closed now! They had one San louie o did'nt they. Too Bad. Rent a booth at Nipomo and set up a shop of your won. Big Jim
Old 10-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
...what is this - a GT3 invasion of the VTA thread....
I think a lot of the same people are interested in both VTA and GT3, and then theres F1. Basically people are tired of racing jellybeans with flashy stripes, and want to race something that looks real.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Jim,

The nearest shop is Atascadero (HobbyHeadquarters), but I'm hearing we should be getting 2 smaller versions of a BBT - one in AG and one maybe in Santa Maria. Just a lot smaller, and more specialized.

Snoopy, I haven't been paying attention...I don't even know what the GT3 is
Old 10-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I think a lot of the same people are interested in both VTA and GT3, and then theres F1. Basically people are tired of racing jellybeans with flashy stripes, and want to race something that looks real.
I'm hell bent on getting USVTA going in socal, but there are other great spec classes as well. RCGT is popular, which is 17.5/27T 6-cell on HPI D X-Patterns and realistic-looking GT bodies.

F1 is coming back in silver can form.

Still, it's very clear that there's more than enough room for a slower class, and that's where I hope USVTA will come in.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
Snoopy, I haven't been paying attention...I don't even know what the GT3 is
We got side tracked didnt we?

I started a new thread for GT3 but I dont think its got a single hit yet.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I started a new thread for GT3 but I dont think its got a single hit yet.
There you go.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by reenmachine
I'm hell bent on getting USVTA going in socal, but there are other great spec classes as well. RCGT is popular, which is 17.5/27T 6-cell on HPI D X-Patterns and realistic-looking GT bodies.
Still, it's very clear that there's more than enough room for a slower class, and that's where I hope USVTA will come in.
I think a lot of this has to do with location, and demographic preference. USVTA/Vintage TA has become the HUGE class over here on the eastcoast. From the posts USVTA/Vintage TA is the hot ticket in the south and Mid-west. Over on this end RCGT is kind of a suppliment class targeting a lot of the Tour Car racers that are wanting the more realistic bodies, the import tuner, JDM crowd... etc...etc...I'm seeing RCGT pickup up in business as well. USVTA /Vintage TA is the HOT ticket on this end. I support both for what they both offer. They're both great classes!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Our Chicago outdoor parking lot Trans Am season ended today. We had snow on the track today.

If anyone is interested the TA sanctioned tires have worked well all season on our corn syrup sprayed track from April until the end of October. We've seen asphalt temps today and back in April at 43 degrees and in the heat of the Summer at 121 degrees. The tires hooked up during the entire outdoor season with very minimal setup changes.

Time for carpet here in Chicago.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
Our Chicago outdoor parking lot Trans Am season ended today. We had snow on the track today.

If anyone is interested the TA sanctioned tires have worked well all season on our corn syrup sprayed track from April until the end of October. We've seen asphalt temps today and back in April at 43 degrees and in the heat of the Summer at 121 degrees. The tires hooked up during the entire outdoor season with very minimal setup changes.

Time for carpet here in Chicago.
I have read how '"GLOBAL COOLING" is predictded for this fall here in the US, particularly here in the Northern States. Isn't that weird?

Will we be seeing any of you folks at the Hurricaine in MAdison race this weekend?

MPH
Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 414MPH

Will we be seeing any of you folks at the Hurricaine in MAdison race this weekend?

MPH
Yes. I've been promoting the upcoming race this past month at every race. I'm not sure of an exact count but yes there are Strictly racers heading up.

I also know some of our regulars are also heading to the Michiana TA race too.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Awesome Racing at the gate this past weekend, lots of fast guys running. Mike haynes was tq and winner, he was running a losi 21.5 lipo car. But I really feel good about this class. We had 4 cell 17.5, 21.5 lipo all running neck and neck. Anywasy after the first round I was 2nd and after everything I was qualified 5th. I ended up getting punted in the main (after doing some punting myself) and broke the steering on my tc5. Great time, I actually geared one tooth lower than the max on my 21.5 and it was quicker in the infield.

So who wants to come and get some in cincinnati next sunday 11/2

Rking you better come and redeem yourself, lol

Bring it guys we are going to be doing trans am racing in a big way, it is a blast.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Exclamation USVTA NOTICE

Just want to give everyone a heads-up on something that has been developing early on in this season. We are seeing at a few tracks around now, the 21.5/LiPo combo going MUCH faster than the other options. While I personally would like to see this option be the only power option for this class, more than a few of us feel that this is too fast for the formula.

We are currently looking into a change in the 21.5 FDR rule to bring the 21.5 cars back to the pack.

In the meantime, as stated in the USVTA rules:
"If any one power choice shows a definitive advantage at a certain track, it is up to the race management to even the racing out via suggested gearing changes."

We are suggesting that track management look closely at their individual track layouts and resulting lap times, and determine if the playing field ls level for everyone. The object is to keep ALL options the same speed, and much slower than Stock Rubber. In that, it is at this point the responsibility of the race director to alter the FDR of the 21.5 at his discretion to bring the lap times the same for all motor choices.

We will have more news on the potential USVTA rule adjustment with the 21.5/LiPo option in the coming weeks. If you have an opinion on the new proposed FDR based on your own personal testing on carpet, please contact me via PM or at [email protected] directly.

doug
Old 10-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

we just ran a big class 30+ racers at the gat this last weekend, and 17.5 4 cell was no slower, I actually got bumped down a couple of spaces by them. I feel 21.5 lipo is easier to go fast with, but all the other options are still competitive. But 1 year old nimh's won't cut it against current lipo's. Please don't go and change things for the entire class, because it works like it is.

it is just like real racing, some classes the plymouth was faster, and some classes the pontiacs where. I think on the longer open classes the 4 cell cars are just as competitive, the 21.5 might have more torque on the smaller race tracks. If you leave it like it is, you might encourage guys to move. Fresh 4 cells and a 17.5 is still competitive though, the top three at the big race this weekend was a mix of power options.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Looking at the results from the gate it looked like Haynes had a about half a second on fastest lap over the rest of the field and it was stated that 21.5 was faster before in the thread. I ran my car for the first time with a 21.5 and its alot faster then it should be IMO. Like Doug said hes going to look at it over the next few weeks and see if any adjustment to the FDR for 21.5 needs to happen....I like being able to run the 21.5 lipo but maybe the FDR might need to be adjusted??? We will see how it plays out over the next few weeks.

It was awesome to see so many guys at the Gate for Trans AM thats a good sign......now here in the midwest(IL, IN and WI) there is two more races back to back....Hurricane All-Star Carpet series in Madison WI on Saturday the 1st and then the Great Lakes race in Michiana IN on Sunday the 9th....both should have close to 25+ guys in Trans AM alone I would think.

Last edited by Kevin K; 10-27-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.