Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Here's some photos from our race last weekend which included a Trans Am class. The TA class had about 21 drivers:

http://tinyurl.com/5q2y2m

All three mains, A B and C had most drivers finishing within seconds of each other.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
Need some help finding spur gears for an HPI Pro 4

Looking to hit a 3.5-3.7 FDR for the series here in Florida and i see that PRS offers a 76 tooth/64 pitch spur. It seems to me though that the 6 holes towards the middle of the spur won't line up with 4 holes used to mount the spur.

Do i need that JRX-S adapter or should i look at the Hot Bodies spurs?

Thanks! As always, every one here is a huge help!
i have put PRS 80t spurs on a pro 4. The 76 I have is the same hole pattern.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfish
What is the diameter of the tires for this class? I'm trying to figure out what spur and pinion I need to buy. What is a good FDR to shoot for using a 27T?
Todd- start at 5.5 for our track here, depending on what motor you have, then you will have to check the motor for temp and go from there.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

SWTour, at our parking lot track (70x100) usually rather technical, the 13.5 lipo tc's are usually about 2.5 seconds faster per lap than our TA cars

Bob
Old 07-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Avg. number of laps for the top 13.5TC guys is 26-27 and the top TA guys are running 23laps
Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
i have put PRS 80t spurs on a pro 4. The 76 I have is the same hole pattern.
Were you able to use all 4 mounting screws or just two directly across from each other? I have a "6-hole" spur and it seems that all of the holes don't line up. Then again, i was trying to get all four lined up instead of just two. Thanks again!

BTW, anyone have 17.5/lipo experience with touring cars? Are they blazing fast? I'm still on the fence about buying all of this stuff and not liking the experience. I'd rather do the "official" USVTA rules but the folks in Florida voted 17.5 instead of 21.5
Old 07-31-2008, 03:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota

BTW, anyone have 17.5/lipo experience with touring cars? Are they blazing fast? I'm still on the fence about buying all of this stuff and not liking the experience. I'd rather do the "official" USVTA rules but the folks in Florida voted 17.5 instead of 21.5
I've run some 17.5 foam. When you get her rolled out, she's pretty fast. Pretty fast yet manageable. It doesn't rip the tires out of corners like a 10.5 or 13.5.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Thanks USVTA

Wow, I've been following the progress of the T/A class and all I can say is NICE JOB !! I dropped out of touring car racing a little while back to do some drifting but this class is getting me excited to do some heads up racing again. You folks have a kinship to the drifters out there and it's a good thing. Much less talk of who can afford or HAVE to have the baddest , most tweaked race package and much more emphasis on looks and good racing. I commend you on a great effort and success. It looks like I'm gonna be puttin' another xxx-s together for some Trans Am action. Thanks again for renewing my interest.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Wow, I've been following the progress of the T/A class and all I can say is NICE JOB !! I dropped out of touring car racing a little while back to do some drifting but this class is getting me excited to do some heads up racing again. You folks have a kinship to the drifters out there and it's a good thing. Much less talk of who can afford or HAVE to have the baddest , most tweaked race package and much more emphasis on looks and good racing. I commend you on a great effort and success. It looks like I'm gonna be puttin' another xxx-s together for some Trans Am action. Thanks again for renewing my interest.
I don't know about you guys, but I LOVE to read posts like that.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Im about to build a 2nd T/A car, this time for 1 of my sons. He drove mine sunday and decided he was hooked and had to have 1. Got a deal on a T1 chassis and he wants the GT-350 body. He will be running a CO27 like me for now.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Rookie

What gearing are you TC4 guys running with a 27T? I think the car has stock gearing in the diffs. I asked the guy at the hobby store and gave me a set that doesnt let the motor fit in the motor mount. Thanks
Old 08-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DerangedPony
What gearing are you TC4 guys running with a 27T? I think the car has stock gearing in the diffs. I asked the guy at the hobby store and gave me a set that doesnt let the motor fit in the motor mount. Thanks
I'm running 21/69 48pitch gears with my co27... The diff gears can not be changed...just the pinion and spur... I'm not sure what the stock spur size is...78 maybe? You can figure out a similar gear ratio w/ the spur you have by looking at:
www.gearchart.com
Or
http://www.arroyoc.com/index.cfm?fus...=Gear&Plot=mid

My TC4 setup here:
http://www.nashrcracer.com/coppermin..._TC4_VTA-1.zip
Old 08-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you, I hope you dont mind if I copy your set-up for my first practice.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DerangedPony
Thank you, I hope you dont mind if I copy your set-up for my first practice.

Oh, no problem that is why I posted it. We run 6cell/lipos outdoors (we'll be going to 4cell/21.5lipo next season)...that setup is for the light orion 3200s (200grams). It's very neutral/consistent to me....the rear is a little loose until you get some heat in the tires. Also those vintage tires don't come in/get grippier until they are about worn out. If your running 6cell packs you may want to run a level up stiffer springs. Good luck, I hope works good for you...and have fun! Don't get caught up in setup too much. If you car is driving to your liking, spend all your time practicing your driving. Stay smooth on throttle and steering inputs. Consistancy is your goal!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
...the rear is a little loose until you get some heat in the tires.
True that, but I really liked that about the car. After our first race everyone commented that the cars not only looked like vintage T/A, but they sort of drove like them as well! The scale looks extended beyond the mere appearance -- the dynamics looked the same as a high-horsepower front engine rear drive musclecar as well!

You can kind of toss it into a turn and then power through in a 4-wheel drift just like the real thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.