Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
I have run SMC sub c's, my only issue is the cost of your lipo. With so many companies coming into the fray with lipo and SMC being as expensive as Orions, but with a soft case, you shouldve expected flak. Lipo dudes catch enough flak with Orions stuff getting SOME props. Soft casing, HIGH price, man, you were a fodder for feet
Don't forget more capacity and a higher C rating. Not to mention a lower price with Traxxas connectors. All in all, I would say it is a pretty good value. If or when we come out with a solid case, it will be the same price as it is now.
Also, didn't someone mention that the posted price was not final until it was in stock? Our list price is lower for a pack that outperforms our competition. I would say that we are fodder for the uninformed or those in denial. Trust me, based on our first week of sales, there are plenty of customers willing to try these "soft case" packs. Ultimately, performance sells.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by undark
I hope you read Linger's post earlier tonight. You're not dealing entirely with the uninformed public when it comes to LiPo, not even close. I know all your team drivers tell you you're handsome and have pretty hair, but it doesn't mean the rest of us are snickering under our breath.
Snicker all you want. We'll just keep selling packs while you spend your time dreaming about my hair.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If the price is comparable to Maxamps with excellent c ratings, or if the price comes down, I will give you guys a shot. I dont fall into the "has to be hardcased" category. My concern was the price...if the PRICE stayed at 152.99, it BETTER COME WITH A HARD CASE AND A BACK RUB. I mentioned price alot in this post didnt I
Old 09-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Honestly, I don't know what the street price will be. We don't set that. Typically it will be higher at first as the distributors try to capitalize on the "newness" factor. Over time, however, I would expect the price to drop somewhat.
I completely understand the reluctance to buy based on price or concern for durability. Hopefully, over time, we can earn the respect some feel we lack.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Trust me, none of us comment on Jack's hair...lol.... (Especially how grey it's getting). We all tell Jack what we think and try to make sure that Jaco/SMC has the best products possible.

As far as the packs - We just got in a few to see how they would sell - All the SMC LiPo packs we got in already sold @ $119.95 per pack and the LOCAL DRIVERS (non-sponsored) told me they ran great!! We are going to order more from Jack and they will be up on the www.cefxraceway.net site within the next few days.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
Honestly, I don't know what the street price will be. We don't set that. Typically it will be higher at first as the distributors try to capitalize on the "newness" factor. Over time, however, I would expect the price to drop somewhat.
I completely understand the reluctance to buy based on price or concern for durability. Hopefully, over time, we can earn the respect some feel we lack.
It seems like every post on here that isn't 100% positive cuts you so deep! I'd say people have been very complementary of SMC and their reputation in the hobby for the most part. Surely you don't expect everybody to nod, accept what you're saying as gospel, and wait in line for free batteries and a team shirt. C'mon man, don't you get tired of people telling you what you want to hear?

Just because people aren't sold on a company's sales pitch doesn't mean they're showing disrespect. Do you really hold contempt for consumers that are trying to understand what they're buying, and trying to cut through the market speak?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LMAO..... Another keyboard hero on R/C Tech.... Have fun everyone, I'm going to bed....lol...
Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Josh, is the online shop new?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Trust me, none of us comment on Jack's hair...lol.... (Especially how grey it's getting). We all tell Jack what we think and try to make sure that Jaco/SMC has the best products possible.

As far as the packs - We just got in a few to see how they would sell - All the SMC LiPo packs we got in already sold @ $119.95 per pack and the LOCAL DRIVERS (non-sponsored) told me they ran great!! We are going to order more from Jack and they will be up on the www.cefxraceway.net site within the next few days.
Of course they run great, they're LiPo! Even the cheap ones are pretty nice for a while. Seriously though, thanks for the candid feedback, Josh... I'll have to load up on grey hair jokes for the next "annoy Jack" thread. :-)

It sounds like we're all in the same book now, just on different pages. I imagine guys like me (and others in this thread) that really care will fall by the wayside, and be lost in the sea of people that don't care lining up to buy batteries.

I'm glad to hear you guys at SMC put so much thought into this, and aren't just throwing your LiPo out there as a money grab like other companies seem to do. Don't take it too personal when people ask the hard questions, we're totally not trying to ruin your day.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
LMAO..... Another keyboard hero on R/C Tech.... Have fun everyone, I'm going to bed....lol...
Ah, that's mean, I think this has been a very civil discussion without much keyboard heroics at all. :-(
Old 09-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by undark
Of course they run great, they're LiPo! Even the cheap ones are pretty nice for a while. Seriously though, thanks for the candid feedback, Josh... I'll have to load up on grey hair jokes for the next "annoy Jack" thread. :-)

It sounds like we're all in the same book now, just on different pages. I imagine guys like me (and others in this thread) that really care will fall by the wayside, and be lost in the sea of people that don't care lining up to buy batteries.

I'm glad to hear you guys at SMC put so much thought into this, and aren't just throwing your LiPo out there as a money grab like other companies seem to do. Don't take it too personal when people ask the hard questions, we're totally not trying to ruin your day.
I don't know why you feel this "gets to me". I love it! I wish I had more time to fight. Too busy selling LiPos!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
I don't know why you feel this "gets to me". I love it! I wish I had more time to fight. Too busy selling LiPos!
Hahah, touche. I guess it's hard to read people on the Internet. Glad to hear you enjoy the ribbing, it truly is well-intentioned. Josh just doesn't understand us, man. :-)
Old 09-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sometimes I hate the internet. Its a place for the paraniod minority to spout off about how everything sucks and everyone is trying to rip you off when its not at all true.

SMC and all other big name companies in the R/C biz have too much at stake to release crap products. They research and test products so when they decide so start selling them they are worthy of the name on the label.

You guys should be grateful Jack is here supporting SMC and JACO customers. Other company leaders read but never post because they don't want to have to deal with this crap.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by AdrianM
You guys should be grateful Jack is here supporting SMC and JACO customers. Other company leaders read but never post because they don't want to have to deal with this crap.
You mean like potential customers that ask questions like "WHAT DAMN CELL AM I BUYING?" The nerve of some people... how dare they want real answers instead of a 5 page thread that basically says nothing more than "daddy knows best."

I applaud company representatives for getting on the Internet and dealing with the unwashed masses. That's how you differentiate yourselves from the faceless companies out there, and show you care. But you know what? These companies do a LOT of their business on the Internet, so they SHOULD support it. You don't get to use it for product exposure and then hide behind the "oh noes, Internet people are mean" excuse when the hard questions come out.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

1. a plastic case will not do any good IF a lipo goes nuclear... it will simply burn through it like a torch, unless it is acutally real carbon fiber or fiberglass.

2. you can always buy a softcase lipo and use some scrap lexan and duct tape to make your own "hardcase".

3. I say stop bashing SMC for not disclosing their sources. It's a common position that lipo companies take, so they are no different than most. It's just different than the nickel cell industry. Some choose to make their sources public info, but most do not. Often, people figure it out anyway.

My guess is that they are using Enerland cells like many top brands use... but whatever the case I'm sure they did not choose a crappy company or a crappy cell. Think about it... what would you do if you ran a battery company?

BTW... I'm sure Orion will be upgrading their packs, since Kokam is in the process of upgrading their entire "high-end" product line. Kokam calls the current cells 20c and the new ones 30c. Enerland also has a new cell... which is scary because their 4900 cell (labeled 25c I think) already had the best discharge graphs I have ever seen. The new Kokams should be on par with them too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.