R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #166
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
I have run SMC sub c's, my only issue is the cost of your lipo. With so many companies coming into the fray with lipo and SMC being as expensive as Orions, but with a soft case, you shouldve expected flak. Lipo dudes catch enough flak with Orions stuff getting SOME props. Soft casing, HIGH price, man, you were a fodder for feet
Don't forget more capacity and a higher C rating. Not to mention a lower price with Traxxas connectors. All in all, I would say it is a pretty good value. If or when we come out with a solid case, it will be the same price as it is now.
Also, didn't someone mention that the posted price was not final until it was in stock? Our list price is lower for a pack that outperforms our competition. I would say that we are fodder for the uninformed or those in denial. Trust me, based on our first week of sales, there are plenty of customers willing to try these "soft case" packs. Ultimately, performance sells.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #167
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undark View Post
I hope you read Linger's post earlier tonight. You're not dealing entirely with the uninformed public when it comes to LiPo, not even close. I know all your team drivers tell you you're handsome and have pretty hair, but it doesn't mean the rest of us are snickering under our breath.
Snicker all you want. We'll just keep selling packs while you spend your time dreaming about my hair.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #168
Tech Master
 
bxpitbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union City, New Jersey
Posts: 1,883
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

If the price is comparable to Maxamps with excellent c ratings, or if the price comes down, I will give you guys a shot. I dont fall into the "has to be hardcased" category. My concern was the price...if the PRICE stayed at 152.99, it BETTER COME WITH A HARD CASE AND A BACK RUB. I mentioned price alot in this post didnt I
__________________
R40-Pondering a new Red Dot
Hara Pro4-GTB/3.5/Max Amps-yea.
Pondering moving on to Xray-have to go with a winner. If you cant beat em, join em!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #169
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Honestly, I don't know what the street price will be. We don't set that. Typically it will be higher at first as the distributors try to capitalize on the "newness" factor. Over time, however, I would expect the price to drop somewhat.
I completely understand the reluctance to buy based on price or concern for durability. Hopefully, over time, we can earn the respect some feel we lack.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #170
Tech Master
 
Josh Cyrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan
Posts: 1,409
Default

Trust me, none of us comment on Jack's hair...lol.... (Especially how grey it's getting). We all tell Jack what we think and try to make sure that Jaco/SMC has the best products possible.

As far as the packs - We just got in a few to see how they would sell - All the SMC LiPo packs we got in already sold @ $119.95 per pack and the LOCAL DRIVERS (non-sponsored) told me they ran great!! We are going to order more from Jack and they will be up on the www.cefxraceway.net site within the next few days.
__________________
Destiny, Ko Propo, Hobby Wing, Ulti Racing Tires, Protoform, Xenon Racing, Pivothead, Vizon, TQ Wire & Hella Graphics
Josh Cyrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:01 PM   #171
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: orbital gun
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
Honestly, I don't know what the street price will be. We don't set that. Typically it will be higher at first as the distributors try to capitalize on the "newness" factor. Over time, however, I would expect the price to drop somewhat.
I completely understand the reluctance to buy based on price or concern for durability. Hopefully, over time, we can earn the respect some feel we lack.
It seems like every post on here that isn't 100% positive cuts you so deep! I'd say people have been very complementary of SMC and their reputation in the hobby for the most part. Surely you don't expect everybody to nod, accept what you're saying as gospel, and wait in line for free batteries and a team shirt. C'mon man, don't you get tired of people telling you what you want to hear?

Just because people aren't sold on a company's sales pitch doesn't mean they're showing disrespect. Do you really hold contempt for consumers that are trying to understand what they're buying, and trying to cut through the market speak?
__________________
rain in our room
undark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #172
Tech Master
 
Josh Cyrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan
Posts: 1,409
Default

LMAO..... Another keyboard hero on R/C Tech.... Have fun everyone, I'm going to bed....lol...
__________________
Destiny, Ko Propo, Hobby Wing, Ulti Racing Tires, Protoform, Xenon Racing, Pivothead, Vizon, TQ Wire & Hella Graphics
Josh Cyrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #173
Tech Elite
 
Francis M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 4,719
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Josh, is the online shop new?
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #174
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: orbital gun
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
Trust me, none of us comment on Jack's hair...lol.... (Especially how grey it's getting). We all tell Jack what we think and try to make sure that Jaco/SMC has the best products possible.

As far as the packs - We just got in a few to see how they would sell - All the SMC LiPo packs we got in already sold @ $119.95 per pack and the LOCAL DRIVERS (non-sponsored) told me they ran great!! We are going to order more from Jack and they will be up on the www.cefxraceway.net site within the next few days.
Of course they run great, they're LiPo! Even the cheap ones are pretty nice for a while. Seriously though, thanks for the candid feedback, Josh... I'll have to load up on grey hair jokes for the next "annoy Jack" thread. :-)

It sounds like we're all in the same book now, just on different pages. I imagine guys like me (and others in this thread) that really care will fall by the wayside, and be lost in the sea of people that don't care lining up to buy batteries.

I'm glad to hear you guys at SMC put so much thought into this, and aren't just throwing your LiPo out there as a money grab like other companies seem to do. Don't take it too personal when people ask the hard questions, we're totally not trying to ruin your day.
__________________
rain in our room
undark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #175
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: orbital gun
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
LMAO..... Another keyboard hero on R/C Tech.... Have fun everyone, I'm going to bed....lol...
Ah, that's mean, I think this has been a very civil discussion without much keyboard heroics at all. :-(
__________________
rain in our room
undark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #176
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undark View Post
Of course they run great, they're LiPo! Even the cheap ones are pretty nice for a while. Seriously though, thanks for the candid feedback, Josh... I'll have to load up on grey hair jokes for the next "annoy Jack" thread. :-)

It sounds like we're all in the same book now, just on different pages. I imagine guys like me (and others in this thread) that really care will fall by the wayside, and be lost in the sea of people that don't care lining up to buy batteries.

I'm glad to hear you guys at SMC put so much thought into this, and aren't just throwing your LiPo out there as a money grab like other companies seem to do. Don't take it too personal when people ask the hard questions, we're totally not trying to ruin your day.
I don't know why you feel this "gets to me". I love it! I wish I had more time to fight. Too busy selling LiPos!
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #177
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: orbital gun
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
I don't know why you feel this "gets to me". I love it! I wish I had more time to fight. Too busy selling LiPos!
Hahah, touche. I guess it's hard to read people on the Internet. Glad to hear you enjoy the ribbing, it truly is well-intentioned. Josh just doesn't understand us, man. :-)
__________________
rain in our room
undark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:29 PM   #178
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Sometimes I hate the internet. Its a place for the paraniod minority to spout off about how everything sucks and everyone is trying to rip you off when its not at all true.

SMC and all other big name companies in the R/C biz have too much at stake to release crap products. They research and test products so when they decide so start selling them they are worthy of the name on the label.

You guys should be grateful Jack is here supporting SMC and JACO customers. Other company leaders read but never post because they don't want to have to deal with this crap.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #179
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: orbital gun
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
You guys should be grateful Jack is here supporting SMC and JACO customers. Other company leaders read but never post because they don't want to have to deal with this crap.
You mean like potential customers that ask questions like "WHAT DAMN CELL AM I BUYING?" The nerve of some people... how dare they want real answers instead of a 5 page thread that basically says nothing more than "daddy knows best."

I applaud company representatives for getting on the Internet and dealing with the unwashed masses. That's how you differentiate yourselves from the faceless companies out there, and show you care. But you know what? These companies do a LOT of their business on the Internet, so they SHOULD support it. You don't get to use it for product exposure and then hide behind the "oh noes, Internet people are mean" excuse when the hard questions come out.
__________________
rain in our room
undark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #180
Tech Elite
 
glassdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,250
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

1. a plastic case will not do any good IF a lipo goes nuclear... it will simply burn through it like a torch, unless it is acutally real carbon fiber or fiberglass.

2. you can always buy a softcase lipo and use some scrap lexan and duct tape to make your own "hardcase".

3. I say stop bashing SMC for not disclosing their sources. It's a common position that lipo companies take, so they are no different than most. It's just different than the nickel cell industry. Some choose to make their sources public info, but most do not. Often, people figure it out anyway.

My guess is that they are using Enerland cells like many top brands use... but whatever the case I'm sure they did not choose a crappy company or a crappy cell. Think about it... what would you do if you ran a battery company?

BTW... I'm sure Orion will be upgrading their packs, since Kokam is in the process of upgrading their entire "high-end" product line. Kokam calls the current cells 20c and the new ones 30c. Enerland also has a new cell... which is scary because their 4900 cell (labeled 25c I think) already had the best discharge graphs I have ever seen. The new Kokams should be on par with them too.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Core RC 5000mah Lipos... Nexus Electric On-Road 615 11-05-2008 08:03 AM
SPC 3s 5000mah bobby74 Electric Off-Road 0 06-24-2008 04:18 PM
SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos Danny/SMC Electric On-Road 420 04-24-2008 03:36 AM
New SMC Lipos 7.4v 2s 4000 and 5000mah HardCase IOwNMkeG R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 03-30-2008 01:54 PM
WTB 5000mah lipos (2) and a balance charger vrcoupe R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 01-29-2008 09:51 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:41 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net