Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cruisaaja
Hey Mark

Short lesson about rebound.

Shock rebound is the amount that the shock shaft rebounds back when fully pushed in. The percent is of the full travel of the shock. I use 50 percent and it works great for me

I think at ED can light more this...
Pretty much got it in one....

I'm trying to search the thread for a good guide to rebound... but can't really remember where I saw it. The shocks seem to react better to bumps, that's for sure.

I tend to run minimal rebound now, which seems to help the car react better. I always used to run maximum rebound everywhere, but now much prefer the feel of the car with less.

HiH
Ed
Old 07-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by barts71m
just bought me a 416 to run in Superstock...cant wait looks like I have about 86 pages to read lol....
Hey scott save yourself the time and head over to the tips section of Ed's site. Everything you need to know is right there, though when you're buying suspension blocks just get 2 C's, an XA and an E

Thought you guys might like to see the track barts71m, veecee, and I race our tamiyas around

...cant quite figure out how to embed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTW_Be0Rp_o

We're running a different layout at the moment but you get the idea. The track is brand new and in the grounds of a sports club which has a full bar and bistro
Old 07-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Great racing yesterday Craig - you were very fast but unlucky in the final. Total Tamiya domination!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by veecee
Great racing yesterday Craig - you were very fast but unlucky in the final. Total Tamiya domination!!!
yeah it could have been an epic final if I'd made that pass stick but I was kind of caught unaware by how quickly my car came out of the corner I'm still chuffed with 2nd though, just as long as we're in front of those pesky phi's and t2's! Speaking of which a certain PHI owner is currently canvasing the internet for somewhere with 416 stock that will ship to Oz. Watch this space
Old 07-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Tech Champion

Sounds like you boys are having fun
Where are your setups at then ?

Craig, YGPM

Cheers
Ed
Old 07-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigM
yeah it could have been an epic final if I'd made that pass stick but I was kind of caught unaware by how quickly my car came out of the corner I'm still chuffed with 2nd though, just as long as we're in front of those pesky phi's and t2's! Speaking of which a certain PHI owner is currently canvasing the internet for somewhere with 416 stock that will ship to Oz. Watch this space
hahaha I think I found him one if he wants to pay the cash...lol

look out another 416 coming to SMA Superstock...well in a month or 2 anyway...gotta work out what brushless to get for it....liking that venom package.

oh and the 415 dominated 540 lol
Old 07-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TryHard
mines a few pages back...

... posted it under your name

Originally Posted by barts71m
hahaha I think I found him one if he wants to pay the cash...lol

look out another 416 coming to SMA Superstock...well in a month or 2 anyway...gotta work out what brushless to get for it....liking that venom package.

oh and the 415 dominated 540 lol
The venom looks tough, but the LRP's match TRFs better. It'll be good to have another 416 on the track

Speedtechrc has 416s in stock at a good price. Not sure if he's ordered one yet but he was asking me what parts to buy a few hours ago
Old 07-21-2008, 03:39 AM
Tech Champion

you mean this one?

I've made some changes to that at the national, played around with the rear wheelbase setting, the front camber link shims, and the track width. Ended up back where I was, apart from running a medium rear roll bar.
Was searching for a bit more initial front end on old tyres, but in the end the car was still nice and easy to drive. I'm still tempted to try some arm sweep when I next get the chance (C/B probably), didn't really want to try it at the national as it was a pretty big change to make.
I did try adding spacers to the wheel axles, playing around with the car width. Didn't really notice a huge difference it has to be said (may just have been me!), but the laptimes seem to show it was quickest with it narrowed down... but that may also relate to old/new tyres and track conditions more than anything.

Cheers
Ed
Old 07-21-2008, 04:38 AM
Tech Champion

you mean this one?
err... which one?

Here's exactly what I was running, basically Ed's setup with a few subtle changes. I want to play around with the shocks a bit more e.g. rebound, oil, and foam bushings, but overall the car is hooked up really well

edit: I keep getting rejected by the 256 byte file size limit on your site. Might email it to you or something along with the 48dp gearing/rubber tyre rollout chart I made a while back
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-sma-setup.jpg  
Old 07-21-2008, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Craig, YGPM

Cheers
Ed
I tried a few things that didn't work so went back to my attached base setup.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-416-vc-sma-20080720.jpg  
Old 07-21-2008, 05:39 AM
Tech Champion

Doh....

This one
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-wlrc%2520base2.jpg  
Old 07-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

I have a question about the suspension arms of the 416. As you can see you can use them in different ways so the holes for the shocks/sway bars are on a different position. But can someone explain me how to place them in what situation?

And i see a lot of different ways to note wich hole is used in the setups but how do i know how this person has his suspension arms?

Thanks for the help.

Arjen
Old 07-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Arjen
I have a question about the suspension arms of the 416. As you can see you can use them in different ways so the holes for the shocks/sway bars are on a different position. But can someone explain me how to place them in what situation?

And i see a lot of different ways to note wich hole is used in the setups but how do i know how this person has his suspension arms?

Thanks for the help.

Arjen
Hi Arjen,

For me the theory goes as follows: if you move the attaching point of the shock on the lower suspension arm closer to the inner pivot point, the suspension becomes softer thus enhancing more grip on that end/side of the car.

So for example if you need some more steering (thus grip on the front end), you can try to chose an attatching point more inwards on the front lower suspension arms. (note that you do the opposite if you want to have less grip and that the same counts for the rear end).
That's what makes the LW suspension very interesting and you have a lot of tuning options by being able to flip them over.

As for the setup-sheets, it must be mentionned which suspension arms are being used (long or short arms).

Hope this reply will help you.

Gerrit.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

For the setup sheets, if someone is using the short arms, you should see the inner most hole (#5) crossed out on the arm. The outermost hole on both set's is refered to as hole 1.

HiH
Ed
Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the explaining on the suspension arms i am used to run always the most outer hole on the arms but i will change that now so i will get a bit more grip especial at the rear end.

As for the pistons in the shocks and the oil i have a question. Till now i always ran the standard 400 Yellow oil with 3 holes but on the ETS in Germany Sakaguchie (hope i spell it right) told me that i could better run 2 holes.

Can someone tell me what you can run in what situation and what a good starting point will be for the shocks?

Thanks alot for all the help i appreciate it.

Arjen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.