Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spektrum Telementry woth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Red face Spektrum Telementry woth it?

Hi I am thinking about getting the specktrum telementry pak for my electric sedan . Any body out there have any opinions or thoughts abought this product?.Also is it strong enought to withstand crashes(not that I hit anything ;-) . thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 05:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Waste of money. The only part of it that might be worth anything is the lap counting.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

It's worthwile for Nitro... I'm not too sure on the spektrum since I don't use it but from the looks of it you have to find room for the unit plus all the wires. From an ex Eagle Tree user, it aint easy on a TC...

If you want Telemetry, get a Nomadio... If you just want 2.4ghz stay with Spektrum...
Old 09-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Tech Adept

Adds a lot of wiring. I've made a good use of their telem products for testing (temp sensing is nice). But it's just as easy to pull over and have someone temp your car from the pit lane.

Mine went to ebay after a few weeks. Wasn't worth it to me.

Side note:Nomadio: I've never used them. But, the two people I know never raced them and resold them on ebay within a month. They just weren't comfortable with it - no problems to speak of.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

I have nerve damage into both my arms and I love the Nomadio, it's much more comfortable than my 3Pk...

I like the lap timer function for the Spektrum but beyond that, adding another reciever sized box plus the wires has got to be too much in any TC...
Old 09-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

I've just ordered it with the lap timer bit.

The lap timer is the main reason for getting it, I got fed up with practicing at tracks I was soon to be racing at with no way of telling if I was improving my times or not. And I don't care what anyone say's, using a stop watch is inconvenient (another person required) and not as accurate.

The temp sensor should be another way of telling if your gearing is too far in one direction, and you'll be able to tell before it goes bang

But it's just as easy to pull over and have someone temp your car from the pit lane
That's one of the problems, you need someone else!

The telemetry box looks about the same size as Spektrum's micro receiver.

Can also tell you your maximum speed, again usefull to see if your getting the most from your gearing.
Also tells you the signal strength from the tranny to the car and it can measure your battery voltage.

If your not interested in these things, then it's not worth it. But I'd get it for the lap timer alone for the reasons mentioned above.

Skiddins
Old 09-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Well I found the temp sensor to be very fragile. It came apart easily and there was no easy way to mount it. The RPM sensor is impossible to mount no other way to explain it. Good luck getting it to work. My voltage sensor always read half of what it really was. Like I said the only thing that would have been of use to me was the lap counting.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
Well I found the temp sensor to be very fragile. It came apart easily and there was no easy way to mount it. The RPM sensor is impossible to mount no other way to explain it. Good luck getting it to work. My voltage sensor always read half of what it really was. Like I said the only thing that would have been of use to me was the lap counting.
Ok, I'll tell you all how I get on, and take some photo's once it's sorted.

Out of interest, what car were you trying to mount the RPM sensor in (the magazine review mentioned this was awkward)

Skiddins
Old 09-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Ok, I'll tell you all how I get on, and take some photo's once it's sorted.

Out of interest, what car were you trying to mount the RPM sensor in (the magazine review mentioned this was awkward)

Skiddins
I tried it on a pro4 at the time. The sensor has to basically be sitting on the spur to read (as close as possible without touching). The way the sensor mounts to the bracket you have to bend it all sorts of ways and ends up breaking. Good luck! Hope it works for you or they have improved it since I tried.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

It is good for practice, and getting your gearing right. I had the same voltage problem but sent it in and horizon fixed that. The lap counting is cool, but the track I race at uses a timing system so I just use my pt. Rpm sensor, yeah royal pain. All in all, I bought it, sent it in, pulled my hair out trying to mount the rpm sensor, broke a temp sensor, and then finally got it all mounted and only used it for a week. But it did help with gearing. On the other hand there are guys at your track and on this forum that can help with gearing, and it doesn't cost $135.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Is the Spektrun speed/tach sensor a magnetic pickup like Nomadio and Eagle Tree?

If it is and anyone wants I have RPM sensors mounted in a FK05, Carpet Knife, NTC3, Yok SD, T4 and MGT.... My only mount I'm not happy with is the T4, I can't get the diff apart, but I have another way I'm going to mount it sooner or later...