Community
Wiki Posts
Search

water damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default water damage

I just purchased a tc4 off ebay , and it ran fine until the car slid in a puddle of water. I cooked the ( Ai Super Reverse digital ) speed control because the next day after It started smoking. My questions to u is 1. Do u guys think I hurt the 15 turn associated motor. I know it still works, because i tested it straight to the battery and got power. 2. I was looking to go with another motor, more faster, with better speed control, any suggestions
Old 09-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It is probally your reciever that got damaged.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default water damage

I tryed a different reciverl , yet smoke came out the speed control
Old 09-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I doubt you cooked the motor.... however, make sure it is completely dry before you plug it into your new speed control.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The motor should be ok. Check it's bearing though. To be safe just remove them and clean them

Nick
Old 09-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would go with a 4.5 brushless kit with a Novak GTB if it fits in the budget for around $250.00.
Go Fast
Old 09-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Tech Master

Motor is fine, no complex circuitry there.... but the speed control is fried.. i did the same thing before. my advice is first... drive in a place that is dry. or get the MRT speed controller that is water proof.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

way back some oldie racer told me that the break in motor through water. or break in brushes through water by dipping it...
Old 09-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Tech Rookie

I am lost , I just want to start over, but I really don't won't to spend all that money . If there is someone out their, please give me a reasonable set up that will give me just a little more speed then the tc4 came with. Thats motor, receiver, and servo, speed control, and crystals for tc-4, since I cannot get any of it to work. I know I cannot compete with u guys right now because I am a beginner, thats not stupid enough to buy a fast car when I don't know how to work on them.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jkgilliam1
I am lost , I just want to start over, but I really don't won't to spend all that money . If there is someone out their, please give me a reasonable set up that will give me just a little more speed then the tc4 came with. Thats motor, receiver, and servo, speed control, and crystals for tc-4, since I cannot get any of it to work. I know I cannot compete with u guys right now because I am a beginner, thats not stupid enough to buy a fast car when I don't know how to work on them.

Get yourself a cheap ESC which can at least take 12 turns or something to learn 1st. Or just bite your fingers and fork out some more to get a no motor limit esc so that when your skill levels increases and want a faster motor, you can't unless you get another no limit ESC.

You could start off running stock motors (27turns). They are slower,which is good for beginners.

AS for servo,get a cheap one for about $30 bucks or less and learn from there.They could be slow,but beginners don't usually like fast reacting cars yet...

As for Receiver, if you've not fried your's, just bolt it in. If its fried,get the same one from the same manufacturer of your radio with the same frequency. ie...If your's 27.XXX , then you should get a 27 mHZ receiver. Anything else like 75 or 40 mHZ won't work. Same for crystals,get some spares with the same bandwidth.

And lastly!!! Don't run in the wet!! Electronics and water must not marry and will never!!
Old 09-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks guys for your input, and my car is running again. I have a duratrax 100 made by futaba, and my motor was fine after all. This car thing takes alot of patience . I love this tc4 car and I would like to upgrade my motor and esc sometime in the near future, thanks again guys
Old 09-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

You can spend $239.00 and buy a 4.5 Novak complete brushless system and I have not heard any complaints. Put that in the TC 4 , that is what I am going to do with one of mine. I keep 2 TC 4's at all times in case of a catostrophic incident. I will still be running a TC 4 that I am so used to.
Gofastrlbrown