Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Squarehead...I haven't hacked or dremmeled anything on my car but I do run the Flying Fox layshaft which creates a little more width for batteries and I know the following packs will fit:

Any Trackpower brick style pack with 4mm bullet plugs (the gold coloured ones)
The Checkpoint packs that were built by Trackpower (shiny red coloured ones)
Thunderpower 4200 mAh ProRace packs (TP4200-2SPR) w/ pigtails

I've had first-hand experience with all of these in my JRXS-R...HTH!

Cheers,
Mike

Originally Posted by squarehead
Out of curiosity, can anyone contribute to a list of ROAR-approved hard case LiPo packs that fit in this car without any modification? So far, the only luck I have had is with the original Orion Platinum 4800 20C. Anything else out there less than 47mm wide?

Hacking and Dremmeling of the car should not be a prerequisite to being able to use contemporary LiPo packs in the JRXS Type R.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Thanks Mike, I have been trying to find any of the FlyingFox parts for 5 months with no luck. I might have to source someone here in the US to manufacture a similar layshaft, because they don't seem to want to sell any more products.

Do those packs listed above fit without the FF layshaft?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I don't know what happened with Flying Fox...I ordered a second layshaft several months ago direct off the Flying Fox website and it arrived relatively quickly from Australia to Canada via airmail...don't know what's going on now though.

I can't say absolutely if they will fit w/o the layshaft as I've never run my Type R without it but I suspect they would, or possibly only require the thinning of the pulleys on the layshaft as outlined several times in this thread. If I get a chance tonight I'll measure things up and let you know if they'd fit with the stock layshaft.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks Mike, I have been trying to find any of the FlyingFox parts for 5 months with no luck. I might have to source someone here in the US to manufacture a similar layshaft, because they don't seem to want to sell any more products.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Just trim your stock pulleys and shim the stock layshaft, no reason to go find a super special battery.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The checkpoint and trakpower (gold) fit with the stock layshaft but the connectors are not set as wide as the Orion so you may have to do some dremeling of the top deck or have some really low connectors on the battery. I know you don't really want to hack anything but I just narrowed one pulley on the spur side and about any battery that will fit width wise in the battery tray should not rub on the center pulleys. I run a thunder power 5000 40C and have run a turnigy 5000 in mine. Others at our track run the thunder power 5300's and losi 5000's and they fit fine also with this mod.

ps... Doug thanks for the loan of the lower shock retainer at the Nats. Much appreciated! Can't believe that part fell off!

Last edited by padailey; 04-05-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Good to know, guys, thanks.

Paul, when you run a JRXS-R, you always have to be your own parts supply store.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Good to know, guys, thanks.

Paul, when you run a JRXS-R, you always have to be your own parts supply store.

I had to pack in a hurry for the race but did bring some extras... I just didn't imagine I would need one of those parts!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Guys,

Any news on the Losi new touring car?Please share.
I know Losi is busy with the 22 off road buggy.
Hope the new design not going to do lots of modification to fit Lipo and limited type of motor and can accept standard spur.

Cheers
James
Old 04-07-2011, 05:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by James khoo
Guys,

Any news on the Losi new touring car?Please share.
I know Losi is busy with the 22 off road buggy.
Hope the new design not going to do lots of modification to fit Lipo and limited type of motor and can accept standard spur.

Cheers
James
I haven't heard any noise about a new TC.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Questions??

So maybe I'm missing something (and admittedly, I haven't caught up to the ~13,000-odd posts here), but after spacing out the top layshaft as far as it can go without creating binding in the system, and sanding down the inside of both pulleys flat and smooth, and there really isn't the kind of extra space generated that some of you guys have mentioned. With the pin placement in the stock layshaft, there really isn't any more distance you can generate with spacers.

What am I missing?

Also, what is the increased distance in the pulleys with the FlyingFox layshaft?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

Check out post #12709 for a mod that can be done to the layshaft assembly using Losi parts to obtain adaquate clearance between the pulleys to use any battery. Your next potential problems would be battery length, battery height or battery tray size. Bottom line is that Lipo manufacturers did a big disservice (in my opinion) to the sport when they released batteries that would not fit some of the older cars (HPI Pro 3 and Losi JRXS-R to mention a few).
Old 04-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by calvin
Check out post #12709 for a mod that can be done to the layshaft assembly using Losi parts to obtain adaquate clearance between the pulleys to use any battery. Your next potential problems would be battery length, battery height or battery tray size. Bottom line is that Lipo manufacturers did a big disservice (in my opinion) to the sport when they released batteries that would not fit some of the older cars (HPI Pro 3 and Losi JRXS-R to mention a few).
Brilliantly executed. I don't know how I missed that post before. I'm going to go do that modification right now. Thanks for that tip, it's really a smart alteration to the drivetrain layout.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Calvin, how did you go about making sure the spur is centered on the new hub? I used a PRS spur gear adapter as a template for the new gear holes, and the spur is not concentric, unfortunately. I guess my tapped holes weren't perfect on the drill press and the gear wasn't centered. Gonna have to find another solution or another Orion Platinum LiPo.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

So maybe I'm missing something (and admittedly, I haven't caught up to the ~13,000-odd posts here), but after spacing out the top layshaft as far as it can go without creating binding in the system, and sanding down the inside of both pulleys flat and smooth, and there really isn't the kind of extra space generated that some of you guys have mentioned. With the pin placement in the stock layshaft, there really isn't any more distance you can generate with spacers.

What am I missing?

Also, what is the increased distance in the pulleys with the FlyingFox layshaft?
I didn't do any kind of spacing just simply shaved down both parts of the two part pulleys so when you put them together the pulley would be narrower. Thereby creating more space for the battery. Haven't measured how much it gained but would guess you could probably gain close to 3mm of extra room depending on how much you shave off.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by padailey
I didn't do any kind of spacing just simply shaved down both parts of the two part pulleys so when you put them together the pulley would be narrower. Thereby creating more space for the battery. Haven't measured how much it gained but would guess you could probably gain close to 3mm of extra room depending on how much you shave off.

Ahhhhhh... now that makes a lot of sense. I'm going to have to try that next.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.