Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Any news on the revised spool?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey folks...I dusted off my Type R tonight and ran a little TC and I'm having a bit of trouble with my cars setup.

I'm running Jon Wee's setup on page 779, post #11680 using Sweep EXP 30 tires and the car had really poor off-throttle turn-in. On power the car had loads of steering (almost too much actually) but as soon as I got off the throttle the car would push like crazy! The track is quite small with a fair number of 180's and the only way I could get the car to rotate was to really throw it into the corner and try to stay on the power.

I'm thinking this might have something to do with driving with a spool (which, admittedly, I've not done much of before).

Has anybody experienced this behavior with the R? Any suggestions on what to try to get the car to turn-in and rotate more off-throttle?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

With a spool you never tend to really come fully off throttle. It is more of a roll on off of the throttle. I hope that makes sense since that is the best way I can describe it. You just have to get used to the spool and once you do you will love it.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
Hey folks...I dusted off my Type R tonight and ran a little TC and I'm having a bit of trouble with my cars setup.

I'm running Jon Wee's setup on page 779, post #11680 using Sweep EXP 30 tires and the car had really poor off-throttle turn-in. On power the car had loads of steering (almost too much actually) but as soon as I got off the throttle the car would push like crazy! The track is quite small with a fair number of 180's and the only way I could get the car to rotate was to really throw it into the corner and try to stay on the power.

I'm thinking this might have something to do with driving with a spool (which, admittedly, I've not done much of before).

Has anybody experienced this behavior with the R? Any suggestions on what to try to get the car to turn-in and rotate more off-throttle?

Cheers,
Mike
I would suggest taking out the front kick down as that limits weight transfer over the front off power. You can try increasing the front toe out to +1 but I think that will make a smaller difference.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I see a few good carpet vta setups but I need one for outdoor.
My car is out to lunch on the vta tires where it was dialed on sorex rubber.

Tried a BUNCH of stuff yesterday but could not get the rear to hook up after
initial turn in off power or rolling back on throttle.

I run a spool and don't have a diff or one way.

Need to start fresh so I would prefer a complete set up sheet.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dragonfire,

Thanks for the suggestion...I was wondering if taking that out might help. I'm pretty new to TC car setup so I was wondering: If the front kick-down was reducing steering, would adding a touch of kick-up increase the off-throttle steering even more? What about sweeping the front arms back a bit by using a 1 degree front block?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Mike

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
I would suggest taking out the front kick down as that limits weight transfer over the front off power. You can try increasing the front toe out to +1 but I think that will make a smaller difference.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Can anyone from Flying Fox tell me what is going on with my order?
Pablo told me a few weeks ago that he didn't want to send me the current spool because it chews out drives, so he would send me the new version when it's ready.
I really need to get a spool in the front of my car because I only have a one way and that stops me from being able to brake into the hairpins after our back straight.
I ordered over a month ago and there is only one round of our current series left.
I would like to get it in there so I am fully operational for the new season.
Thanks, Ben.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BennyBagems
Pablo told me a few weeks ago that he didn't want to send me the current spool because it chews out drives, so he would send me the new version when it's ready.
I really need to get a spool in the front of my car because I only have a one way and that stops me from being able to brake into the hairpins after our back straight.
I ordered over a month ago and there is only one round of our current series left.
Thanks, Ben.
I'm sure Paul with get back to you asap. I know the other week he was away on a trip and this weekend was away at a state titles event.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

If you can't wait for the FF spool, just use the Losi spool kit in the meantime. I'm having great results with it so far as my FF spool has been sitting in in my parts box for a while now.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey All,

Regarding the FF spool, I've done a small mod to mine now to try and stop the outdrives chewing... should point out that it's not a fault of the spool itself, as on the outdrives, the small area that is recessed just can't take the amount of power we're putting through...

Anyway, to try and give more area for the drive to be transmitted, I've basically pinned the outdrives in place. Had to have a check if the driveshaft has enough clearance (its does ), and if I could get the pin to be held by the bearing. Anyway, the pics should show what I've done, basically ended up using a 2mm dia shaft from an old hex driver, cut to length. The holes are a little wonky given they were drilled by hand, but by going from one side I've kept them straight enough. Only issue now is having to drill new cups when I replace them, but for now, I'm happy to take that problem

Cheers
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS Type-R-img_1813.jpg   Team Losi JRXS Type-R-img_1816.jpg   Team Losi JRXS Type-R-img_1817.jpg  
Old 05-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BennyBagems
Thanks, Ben.
Hi Ben.

Sorry for the delay. As Alex mentioned I was at the Vic Titles and have just returned. I will send you an email asap.

As far as the current spool chewing outdrives, some people have had this problem but many have not. Many people are prepared to run them still as they have more problems with the kit spool. What I am working on will solve everything. I also expect my new outdrives to be slightly cheaper than the Losi outdrives. It is getting really close now.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hey All,

Regarding the FF spool, I've done a small mod to mine now to try and stop the outdrives chewing... should point out that it's not a fault of the spool itself, as on the outdrives, the small area that is recessed just can't take the amount of power we're putting through...

Anyway, to try and give more area for the drive to be transmitted, I've basically pinned the outdrives in place. Had to have a check if the driveshaft has enough clearance (its does ), and if I could get the pin to be held by the bearing. Anyway, the pics should show what I've done, basically ended up using a 2mm dia shaft from an old hex driver, cut to length. The holes are a little wonky given they were drilled by hand, but by going from one side I've kept them straight enough. Only issue now is having to drill new cups when I replace them, but for now, I'm happy to take that problem

Cheers
Ed
Nice mod.. I looked at doing a similar mod a while ago but due to having no problems I didn't bother.

There is a long grub screw in the losi kit that is very much the same diameter as the FF spool. What I planned to do was drill a hole right near the end (further inside than yours) of the outdrive and simply screw it in. If the hole is a little small the grub screw will make a thread in the alloy and hold in fine. This would allow you to change outdrives without even taking out the spool.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Nice mod.. I looked at doing a similar mod a while ago but due to having no problems I didn't bother.

There is a long grub screw in the losi kit that is very much the same diameter as the FF spool. What I planned to do was drill a hole right near the end (further inside than yours) of the outdrive and simply screw it in. If the hole is a little small the grub screw will make a thread in the alloy and hold in fine. This would allow you to change outdrives without even taking out the spool.
I've chewed a few outdrives now, although I've had a lot less problems than the guys who I running epoxied Diff's, so the spools deffiently a better bet IMO.
Really keen to see what Paul's come up with, need another spool to throw in the wet car

Cheers
Ed

Last edited by TryHard; 05-31-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TryHard
I've chewed a few outdrives now, although I've had a lot less problems than the guys who I running epoxied Diff's, so the spools deffiently a better bet IMO.
Really keen to see what Paul's come up with, need another spool to throw in the wet car

Cheers
Ed
The amazing thing about the spool is the response into a turn. I am not sure why it is better than the kit setup done up tight but somehow it works. Perhaps its reduces the CG alot or at least the weight the front end has to swing around into a turn. If it is the weight thing than the chassis conversion is going to run laps around the standard layout!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

The amazing thing about the spool is the response into a turn. I am not sure why it is better than the kit setup done up tight but somehow it works. Perhaps its reduces the CG alot or at least the weight the front end has to swing around into a turn. If it is the weight thing than the chassis conversion is going to run laps around the standard layout!
I had this with a 415 long ago, went from a steel spool to a lightweight alloy one, and the turn in difference was very noticeable... I think more than anything it's due to a lot less rotating mass.. makes a big difference

Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.