Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'll third everything you've said!! The sister to this thread actually helped me choose the Losi when I got back into touring last year, and this thread helped me choose the Type-R for this season.

I have one added benefit, Scooby has the Losi now and he has helped me w/ setup help. I was the only Losi driver for a while heheh.

Last night was my best run like ever ... ever ever ever!!! .

You guys were spot on w/ the Lipo advice, but unfortunately they didn't have any more track power packs at the track only checkpoints so i picked up one of those. I forgot my other batteries at home too so i only ran the one pack all night warmest it ever got was 75deg.

So here is the other thing i've discovered, where one places weights in this car plays a BIIIIG role in how it handles. It took me a couple runs to get the weights placed right which makes me glad I picked up a couple steel lipo trays from a a guy in the for sale thread but it doesn't have anything milled into it to center the pack, any suggestions? BTW the quality machining work on these trays is top notch, i'm going to mirror finish mine.

So last night the Type-r took first in the a-main (scooby) in a field of xray 2007's and 2008's. My car took second in the b-main (i traction rolled, that is my story and i'm stickin to it! ) in a field of 2008's 2007's and cyclones, i think there was an e4 in there as well.

Originally Posted by jla8874
Great post Gordon! I agree with you 100% about this thread, as I would be completely lost without it. I am the only Type R driver at my track, so I am pretty much on my own trying to get this car dialed. The cars at my track are half Xray and half Schumacher. And while they are generally nice guys who drive them, sure seems like I get the answer, "I dont know how it works on the Losi?" to a lot of my questions. Thats why even the most mundane question I would rather just ask here and look silly rather than just keep getting that other answer.

And to your point about the smallest of changes affects the car. I know you're right, but my cars not anywhere close to dialed so I have been making major changes first until I can find what I think can be a starting point to then start making minor changes. When I look at the fastest guys at my track, while I know that their driving skills are far superior to mine, I also know that one of the reasons they are going so fast is because their car is glued to the track. That goes back to my point about all of the Schuie/Xray drivers swapping setups. I'm not complaining though because I knew I was going to be the odd man out with the Type R.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Please share where you found the best weight placement. What class are you running as well? Also, dont forget what I said about anyone who bought the Checkpoint 5400, you might still be eligible to purchase a Trackpower 4900 at half price? Call TP and see if they are still doing that.

Heres another killer deal someone ought to jump on.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Please share where you found the best weight placement. What class are you running as well? Also, dont forget what I said about anyone who bought the Checkpoint 5400, you might still be eligible to purchase a Trackpower 4900 at half price? Call TP and see if they are still doing that.

Heres another killer deal someone ought to jump on.
This is what i ran yesterday. It was just about the same as w/ the ni-mh pack. Looking at these photo's it seems entirely possible to get these lead weights to fit mounted on top of the pack between the pack adn the upper plate. I'll have to try that out next weekend.

I put some shoe-goo on the double stack to make sure they stayed together.

http://www.skyersfamily.com/gallery/...r+003.JPG.html
that will allow you to click on the image and get a really detailed view of the setup.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Where you have your weight is not any different then where mine is, you just have a lot more of it. I was thinking that might be one of my problems. You were talking about putting weight in between the pack and top deck, I'm about to get a 2oz. sheet of this Lipo Lead and put it there. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Where you have your weight is not any different then where mine is, you just have a lot more of it. I was thinking that might be one of my problems. You were talking about putting weight in between the pack and top deck, I'm about to get a 2oz. sheet of this Lipo Lead and put it there. I'll let you know how it works out.
i tried to stick a couple of blocks in the rear between the nubs for the sway bars and it didn't work out too well, even just 1/4 oz i could feel the rear act like a pendulum when i went into a corner.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

YmeBP... I was wondering if you could go back a page and read my post about a buddys Type R... He runs a Lipo similar to the Checkpoint and it rubs the layshaft pulleys. Any input would be helpful.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Theres a picture somewhere on this thread that shows material removed from a lipo to make it fit. I think it was a CORE, search that. Thats pretty much his only option. If the pulleys have already been rubbing then they should have made a pretty good outline of what needs to be removed. Trakpowers and Platinums fit without mods. So he either needs to sell that lipo and get one that fits or break out the Dremel.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Theres a picture somewhere on this thread that shows material removed from a lipo to make it fit. I think it was a CORE, search that. Thats pretty much his only option. If the pulleys have already been rubbing then they should have made a pretty good outline of what needs to be removed. Trakpowers and Platinums fit without mods. So he either needs to sell that lipo and get one that fits or break out the Dremel.
Thanks... The Orion he got based on information that it was the perfect lipo to run in the car. Now he's confused at the rubbing. I'm thinking of getting this car as well, but the batterys I have may be a problem...
Old 05-19-2008, 03:54 AM
Tech Master

He just got some bad information. Do a search of Orion 3600 on this thread and you'll see you're not the first person to ask that question. In fact, I dont think that I have ever heard of a car where those lipos with simulated humps on it fit well in a car? When they first came out people with standard tc chassis with the six slots bought those, they just about all had to shim the heck out of something or do some other mod to get them to fit.
If you're thinking of getting one also, like I said before the Trakpower 4900 is probably your best bet right now. Orions coming out with a Platinum TWO pretty soon thats 5000mAh thats probably worth waiting for.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
Thanks... The Orion he got based on information that it was the perfect lipo to run in the car. Now he's confused at the rubbing. I'm thinking of getting this car as well, but the batterys I have may be a problem...
The Orion 3600 packsfit with the NIMH tray, but since the pack is 47mm wide, thy rub on the pulleys and about .5mm has to be dremeled off on each side so drivetrain doesnt bind. THat's all it needs basically.

But like it was stated, right now the best pack for your Tyrpe R is the Trakpower 4900. It packs the best power at the cheapest price
Old 05-19-2008, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YmeBP
This is what i ran yesterday. It was just about the same as w/ the ni-mh pack. Looking at these photo's it seems entirely possible to get these lead weights to fit mounted on top of the pack between the pack adn the upper plate. I'll have to try that out next weekend.

I put some shoe-goo on the double stack to make sure they stayed together.

http://www.skyersfamily.com/gallery/...r+003.JPG.html
that will allow you to click on the image and get a really detailed view of the setup.
I'd really reconsider your wiring and electronics placement. Check the last couple pages and look for Marcos Jennings posting of pics of his 2 Typer R cars.

With Brushless its better to mount your ESC on the right side, and right behind it you can mount your receiver, or have the the receiver on the left side...this will be safer that way and look much cleaner, too.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

That layshaft looks so thick. It looks like you would more than double the rotating mass there. So did anyone even look at that Type R I posted a link to for sale? He sold the car(only ran 4 times), Core 5000 lipo, JR servo, PRS adapter, sway bars, aluminum hexes, steel lipo tray, and 8 sets of tires for $260 shipped. I'm having serious regrets about not sniping that one.

Last edited by jla8874; 05-19-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
YmeBP... I was wondering if you could go back a page and read my post about a buddys Type R... He runs a Lipo similar to the Checkpoint and it rubs the layshaft pulleys. Any input would be helpful.
Honestly now that you mentioned it i remember reading that post but i didn't experience any significant rubbing (there was a very silght trace of a circle, looks like i hit something and the pack kinda shifted a little for a second and shifted back right away). The tolerances are pretty tight, i can take some more photo's for you but i didn't have any problems w/ clearance using the checkpoint 5400. I left all the battery foam in place under my upper deck, and used the plastic lipo tray, not sure if that helps keep the pack firmly centered.

Last edited by YmeBP; 05-19-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
I'd really reconsider your wiring and electronics placement. Check the last couple pages and look for Marcos Jennings posting of pics of his 2 Typer R cars.

With Brushless its better to mount your ESC on the right side, and right behind it you can mount your receiver, or have the the receiver on the left side...this will be safer that way and look much cleaner, too.
I tried that at first and ran into a couple of issues, one is the gtb is soooo bleedin big it was difficult for me to get everything to sit right, the other thing was my receiver is a little on the large side too, i have to put the small one in there, and lastly, i tend to hit things ... normally while going pretty fast hahaha and i ran into an issue of things flying out of my car. I am so paranoid about that i check and replace the servotape almost every race.

I'm willing to give it a try though right now i am at the point where i can put together 2 to 3 consistently fast laps, and then i fall off by about 1 second for a couple laps and then put together another set of decent ones. So i think i'm going to get as much wheel time as i can in the coming weeks and then update the electronics in the car next month after the hpi challenge when everyone sells their stuff . I'm also looking hard at the tekin rs (standard) which looks like the perfect speedo for our cars because they are so small and they have flat square sides for vertical mounting.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MaxRain
Seeing RedRockets post about power curve, I decided to test this out on my car with my M8. I am running a novak 13.5 with the xbr and noticed that by changing the throttle speed, while adjusting the exponential I started to notice improvements in the reduction of the drifting while on power when exiting corners.

<snip>

Sorry for the long post guys, trying to fit lots of stuff in it..
Gordon
Can you give me a couple pointers on the exp adjustments? What should i look for to make sure i am getting full performance just slowing the onset of power slightly enough to prevent oversteer exiting the corners, should i adjust the throttle profile in the speedo as well or just stick w/ the exp settings?

I noticed faster laptimes when i roll on and off the throttle, i'm just not skilled enough yet to do that consistently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.