Search
Like Tree367Likes

Serpent X20

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So awesome to hear guys!

Of course we can cut a 2.5 if you wanted us to do so.

Just heard from Serpent Driver Jeremiah Ward, he won the Region 5 champs using a 2.0 quasi deck as well.

jzone, Marcos.J, dawgmeat and 2 others like this.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
So awesome to hear guys!

Of course we can cut a 2.5 if you wanted us to do so.

Just heard from Serpent Driver Jeremiah Ward, he won the Region 5 champs using a 2.0 quasi deck as well.
Yep I saw your design on his car posted. It really plants the car and makes it very predictable in the corners. Awesome job in the design Christian!
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

2nd black carpet race review:

I tried the X20 for the second time on black carpet at a track near Cocoa Beach Florida. (I went off of Chris Grenz setup as my base point setup at the beginning of the day with some changes.) From the moment I put the car on the track I could tell it was a huge difference from the first attempt. The RSD 2mm top deck has solved all the issues I once had with the car. The X20 was very well connected to the track and never once showed signs of the traction roll issue I had before. The track started off a little green but as the traction increased throughout the day the car just got better and better. I made several changes and it responded very well to all the changes. The next time I run at beachline I want to run the drive train high front and back. I still want to keep the lower arms at 1mm. Based on my past experience it is the most connected feel and easiest to drive. Perhaps if I ran black carpet often I would find the sweet spot for a higher lower arms.

As all ways I like to hear your thoughts or perhaps ways to improve the setup I have attached with this review. This setup I feel is a great starting point for anyone but it does need some improvements. X20 setup sheet for 17.5 black carpet Medium grip. PDF

Marcos.J likes this.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brian10811
2nd black carpet race review:

I tried the X20 for the second time on black carpet at a track near Cocoa Beach Florida. (I went off of Chris Grenz setup as my base point setup at the beginning of the day with some changes.) From the moment I put the car on the track I could tell it was a huge difference from the first attempt. The RSD 2mm top deck has solved all the issues I once had with the car. The X20 was very well connected to the track and never once showed signs of the traction roll issue I had before. The track started off a little green but as the traction increased throughout the day the car just got better and better. I made several changes and it responded very well to all the changes. The next time I run at beachline I want to run the drive train high front and back. I still want to keep the lower arms at 1mm. Based on my past experience it is the most connected feel and easiest to drive. Perhaps if I ran black carpet often I would find the sweet spot for a higher lower arms.

As all ways I like to hear your thoughts or perhaps ways to improve the setup I have attached with this review. This setup I feel is a great starting point for anyone but it does need some improvements. X20 setup sheet for 17.5 black carpet Medium grip. PDF
when I read “track near Cocoa Beach”, I was going to ask if it was Beachline, but I saw the setup sheet, lol.

Good to see that the scene is still alive and well up there. I visited nearby Cocoa a few times in the early 90’s when I used to run the FSEARA series.
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

The Beachline track is very nice. Even the carpet off-road is very nice.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Old 01-21-2020, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Congrats on the TQ and win Champ!
KUI likes this.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

A Regional win already? NICE!
KUI and Brian10811 like this.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default Shock length

What is the length of your shocks? Is this measurement in the manual correct?

Old 01-31-2020, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BigRon

The length is not as important as making sure they are all equal. I screw them in until no threads are showing. Then I measure make sure they all the same.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Brian10811
I screw them in until no threads are showing. Then I measure make sure they all the same.
I as well.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigRon

I run the specified length.
If you make the shock rod length shorter you are changing the piston location which in turn changes the piston pack of the shock. This will also change the rebound characteristic of the shock. If you run the shock shaft shorter than specified on extreme articulation you will stress the c-clips that retain the piston. As well, if too short it could effect your droop settings as well as ride height adjustments. Just things to watch out for.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Gary Lanzer AKA Johnny Wishbone,
I saw your post and you are correct. If the shock length effects the droop of the car. I noticed even with no threads showing at near fully screwed-in. The shock shaft length exceeds the spring capacity. The droop is what takes the shock spring slop out. So as long as the shock ends are same length. Would this not keep the compression even? Sorry I can not be any more clear. It is hard to put in words.
BigRon likes this.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

I was thinking the same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong. But dosen't the most commonly used droop settings prevent full extension of the shocks. But I believe the difference (and therefore the question) is where best should the piston sit at ride height. Inquiring minds want to know. 🤔
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Well, this is another “correct me if I’m wrong” statement, but based on my knowledge of shocks, and assuming that the shock is correctly built/filled/bled/etc., it shouldn’t matter where the shock sits in theory, because unless the shock is totally bottomed our or fully compressed, travel should be consistent in either direction, which is dictated by the viscosity of the fluid, and the holes in the piston, which limit how quickly the shaft moves up ir down.

Again, contrasting points of view are welcome if I’m off in this assessment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.