Search
Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
I prefer a light colored comm drop for cleaning purposes. Tribo can be great for some motors in some races in some applications, but a light colored drop cleans better every time.
Doc,

I was asking around at TCS what a light colored comm drop was and most didn't know. What are a few that i can pick up?

Also, I wanted to tell you that 3rd place in mini at the Seattle TCS was a Doc motor! So thats 1, 2, 3 for Doc motors! Tom B. got the motor from one of the guys who you sold one to but didn't use it.

Kody
Old 04-07-2008, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I use Hurricane Blue or green VooDoo drops (they're actually made for slot cars, I think). But any comm drop that you can see through when you hold the container up to the light (which means that thick, heavy stuff like Tribo is out) should work just as well.

Crashracer told me about giving Tom that motor...nice to sweep a competitive event like Seattle.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anything good to do with the mabuchi motors???

The ones that are aluminium color.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

If you're referring to the older Mabuchi motors with white or black plastic endbells, they are no longer legal for USA TCS events. And with rare exception they were not very fast.

If you mean the newer Johnson dull steel cans that are showing up in kits, I've worked on a bunch of them but have only managed to make a few of them work well. Motor to motor, not very consistent potential.

Much better to start with a current 540J- you'll get better results.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Doc just interested ,can you tell me what the Red Dot motors are and where you can get them from?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Toolmannz2
Hi Doc just interested ,can you tell me what the Red Dot motors are and where you can get them from?
Red Dot motors are 540 Johnson motors that Doc "tunes" in some special way.
Purely legal, but they do go. I know cause I've got one that I purchased from him at Aliso. Loaned it to Brandon K and he won Mini with it. Go back to some of his old posts in the Tamiya Championship thread in the racing forum. I know he on occasion will sell a few.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Granpa's correct ("he may be an old man, but is yet a young motor tuner"- figure out that quote!), they are new 540J's that I tune for racing applications. I've been racing R/C for 2 decades and figured out some of the secrets of these silver cans years ago. When other tuners started to catch up to me, I went out and bought a bunch of specialized equipment and a couple cases of motors (most of which got ruined and were trashed) and learned the rest (or at least more of the rest) of the secrets.

For several years I just tuned motors for myself and friends, and sold a few to racers against whom I wasn't going to be competing. We won a lot of races. But now I'm older, my reaction times and vision are fading, and frankly even the fastest motor isn't going to help me out a whole lot.

So I decided last year that it would be entertaining to spread the power around to some discriminating racers who appreciate how difficult it is to make these little demons fast (really fast), know how to maintain them, and are willing to make the investment to win a few races.

I do a batch when the mood strikes me and I have the time- not really interested in getting in to the motor business, even though I suspect there's an enormous market out there.

Each motor is engraved with a unique number (so I can keep track of it while it's going through the tuning process and the buyer can tell it apart from his other motors) and has a red dot painted on the positive side of the can so you know where to solder the positive lead. Hence the name.

Interested folks find it easier to reach me at [email protected], even if they just want to chat about stuff like this or run their ideas past me. Feel free.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

OK guys, last call on this batch of Red Dot motors. I have a couple left, but after these are gone it will be several weeks (after Memphis) before any more are available.

If you want one of these little rascals before the end of May, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected].
Old 04-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Initiate

gents, what would be a starting point gear ration for 27t silver can motor?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Molala3
gents, what would be a starting point gear ration for 27t silver can motor?
About 4.5 for a TC. But let's face it, it depends on a whole lot of other things like track size and surface. If you start out around 4.5 you shouldn't over heat.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Granpa
About 4.5 for a TC. But let's face it, it depends on a whole lot of other things like track size and surface. If you start out around 4.5 you shouldn't over heat.
Although that is assuming that the motor was broken in.
If the motor was ran out of the box, I would suggest 5 - 5.2 at the lowest.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

All depends on the track and layout. We have been running some of the high rpm motors at 5.8 (or higher!) with good results. Run for two minutes and check the temp- if it's over 155, it's too much.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Sooo many factors... so little time...
Old 04-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Tech Initiate

my touring weights 1.1kg, would a gear ration of 5.5 be too low?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

That's 2400 grams? Seems heavy to me. I'd start at 6.0 and work down if you can....surface?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.