Search
Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
You have no idea. I already have 9 Johnson motors that I am working on. So stick it.
WOW 9 whole Johnson motors thats amazing I didn't think they sold that many motors to one person. Why don't you come talk to me when you have run through, broke, destroyed, fried and or succesfully tuned 50 motors or more. 9 motors my 6 year old daughter knows how to tune 9 motors in a day
Old 12-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Then build your car stick a kit motor in it and just be pleased with what ever results you get in the race and remember no bitching cuz you said you were not looking forward to this crap therefore if you don't try your hardest to go fast then you will be content with average to marginal results. I just love people who want to go fast like the "Fast" guys but are not willing to pay the price or go through the hard work.

Isn't the whole point of silvercan that the motors are all supposed to be the same though? Obviously you're right, you have to do this stuff at some races if you want to compete, I just think it's unfortunate. In my opinion, it should be setup and driver skill.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by beez
Isn't the whole point of silvercan that the motors are all supposed to be the same though? Obviously you're right, you have to do this stuff at some races if you want to compete, I just think it's unfortunate. In my opinion, it should be setup and driver skill.
I couldn't agree with you more its just not that way and thats why we have this thread to find the horsepower to be competitive. Its racing and this will never change someone allways trying to reinvent the wheel or in this case make these motors perform at the best of there capacity. The TCS nationals was by far the best time I had in mini racing because I didn't have to worry about being out motored.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The TCS nationals was by far the best time I had in mini racing because I didn't have to worry about being out motored.
yep.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stitchy
yep.
Albert, you don't need a hot motor See ya at Speedtech. Bring your A game
Old 12-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

WOW 9 whole Johnson motors thats amazing I didn't think they sold that many motors to one person. Why don't you come talk to me when you have run through, broke, destroyed, fried and or succesfully tuned 50 motors or more. 9 motors my 6 year old daughter knows how to tune 9 motors in a day
I'd rather not repeat your mistakes. Judging by your responses, I don't need to talk to you anyway.

This is turd polishing at its finest. Unfortunately, I have to run these motors for TCS, so here I am.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Just accept it. there is no legal way to get these motors fast. And even if you do, then you will most likely be called a cheater, because your car is so ahead of the pack that they will wonder whats up. If you don't care about cheating, look on page 1. it'll tell you everything you need to know to illegally win and you might get a rush from beating everyone, but it'll be over powered by the knowledge that skill did not take you there. What the first page covers is not even in the spirit of the rules.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I agree with Matt Smith, Just leave the motors as is and put a few hours in making your cars transmission have as little friction as possible
Old 12-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Tech Initiate

What really makes them competitive in Mini is to run them in the car for 3 hours and 20 minutes. Every year we have an annual endurance race called the Whangarei Winter 200 and this year we raced it with M03's. It was a handout motor, nothing done to it except the bushings being oiled, in a mini with stock gearing for 3 hours and 20 minutes. And a small heatsink clipped to the brush end of the motor. The same car was raced the next day again and it was the fastest on the straight. It was a rocket.

And notice I didn't say Fast. for all I know this motor would be producing 18.5k rpm @ 8v unloaded. It more whether or not it produces 18.5k still when under load

Last edited by Matt Smith; 12-02-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Smith
What really makes them competitive in Mini is to run them in the car for 3 hours and 20 minutes. Every year we have an annual endurance race called the Whangarei Winter 200 and this year we raced it with M03's. It was a handout motor, nothing done to it except the bushings being oiled, in a mini with stock gearing for 3 hours and 20 minutes. And a small heatsink clipped to the brush end of the motor. The same car was raced the next day again and it was the fastest on the straight. It was a rocket.

And notice I didn't say Fast. for all I know this motor would be producing 18.5k rpm @ 8v unloaded. It more whether or not it produces 18.5k still when under load

i run my silver can with a clean and lube once in a while.

it breaks itself in over time.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Tech Champion

Wouldn't it be good for everyone to get hand out 540's for big events, and not even be allowed to clean them....

Pick them out a hat and then simply use.... and abuse!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by robk
I'd rather not repeat your mistakes. Judging by your responses, I don't need to talk to you anyway.

This is turd polishing at its finest. Unfortunately, I have to run these motors for TCS, so here I am.
Sorry I didn't mean to hurt your feelings and I enjoy learning by my mistakes it builds character. Anywho good luck with your motors I hope you do well.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

No hurt feelings.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default jonhson motors

a good way to break in a motor is give them to some kids that run at your track let them use them for a week clean them out and then run them .or you can spend a lot of time running them in water based rubbing compond an water then water and dish soap then clean water ???????about two days i run trinity monster machine to check rpm and amp draw at 8.99 comes out at 8.48 volts good motors running any where over 30.000 rpm is a good motor i use 540 johnsons and mabuchis have a mabuchi that has nothing don to it other then cleaned in soapy water after a couple of runs and its running 34.000 rpm at 1.25???????amps.a lot of times to it all in the driver and his car set up to we usually have on a regular friday night 20 to 30 minis running
Old 12-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

dude, writing in clear sentences really enhances the potential of being read AND understood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.