Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree187Likes

TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Panther Boa super softs work on about any surface and is my go to tire if I am not sure. The orange foams can be a bit soft that come with those, but you can run AKA red inserts to get that side wall stiffness back in them if the surface at least has a little traction to work with. As for diffs I would probably run 5-7-3 on that track if I had to take a wing at it. 5-5-3 for real loose stuff.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
See this image, the top row are +4mm, the bottom row is standard.

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...odID=TLR233021
Frank this past weekend while your at the races there was a lot of discussion on what is suppose to be in the kit for spring cups. some are saying 4 +4's while most are saying like myself we only got 2 regulars and 2 +4's. deal is ride height. Ive not run mine yet but I've able to achieve ride heights recommended and I still have some threads showing to where I can get a couple more mm. while some can't even get kit recommended heights.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I only have four of the standard cups in mine.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by freebird
Frank this past weekend while your at the races there was a lot of discussion on what is suppose to be in the kit for spring cups. some are saying 4 +4's while most are saying like myself we only got 2 regulars and 2 +4's. deal is ride height. Ive not run mine yet but I've able to achieve ride heights recommended and I still have some threads showing to where I can get a couple more mm. while some can't even get kit recommended heights.
I think this is due to some springs not meeting spec. Not everyone has the issue would point to a bad run of the springs. I bet if they bought a new separate set of springs, same part number, then there would be a huge difference. The only real way to test this theory is with a spring dyno.
But you can make shift one from a gram scale and a weight to balance on top of the spring to see how much compression your actually getting.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh L
I think this is due to some springs not meeting spec. Not everyone has the issue would point to a bad run of the springs. I bet if they bought a new separate set of springs, same part number, then there would be a huge difference. The only real way to test this theory is with a spring dyno.
But you can make shift one from a gram scale and a weight to balance on top of the spring to see how much compression your actually getting.
Josh is right. From all the testing I did that is what I found. There are two problems. The weak springs and the missing +4 cups.

I sent Frank my kit springs from the rear, Red Springs. The new Red springs sold separately were much stiffer which I confirmed with a rigged gram scale setup. Not easy to get accurate numbers, but the info was repeatable showing how weak and uneven the kit springs were. With only the new springs it took all adjustment from collar to get a respectable ride height. I added +4 cups and my truck has plenty of collar adjustment in reserve now.

I'm sure once Frank has time to inspect the springs I sent and the findings from others he will address this issue. Remember though, everyone is not having this problem. Some may have out of Spec springs, others might be missing the +4 cups and the extreme case such as mine both springs and spring cups were the issue.

If you are having these problems and know what you need, just contact Horizon. Customer service has been great to me.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cutting42
Hi All

I am going to run a practice day at a mixed surface 8th track. I am used to running only on high3er grip astro and carpet so far so could use some recommendations on tyres, inserts and a starting truck setup please.

TIA

wow, that is one nice big track!!! i hope you are gonna run some 1/8 too.
enjoy it.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Josh L
Panther Boa super softs work on about any surface and is my go to tire if I am not sure. The orange foams can be a bit soft that come with those, but you can run AKA red inserts to get that side wall stiffness back in them if the surface at least has a little traction to work with. As for diffs I would probably run 5-7-3 on that track if I had to take a wing at it. 5-5-3 for real loose stuff.
Thanks Josh, getting the Boa's in the UK seems to be tricky but I will play with the diff oils.

Tyres I can get are JC Goosebumps or Lil chasers, will they work?
Old 10-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by floyd2810
wow, that is one nice big track!!! i hope you are gonna run some 1/8 too.
enjoy it.
I don't have one but am there with some nitro guys so am hoping for a lap or two.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:30 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

It looks like the first run of kits may not have included 4qty of the +4mm spring cups. If yours didn't, and you need them, please contact Horizon Product Support.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frank Root
It looks like the first run of kits may not have included 4qty of the +4mm spring cups. If yours didn't, and you need them, please contact Horizon Product Support.
thank you sir.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cutting42
Thanks Josh, getting the Boa's in the UK seems to be tricky but I will play with the diff oils.

Tyres I can get are JC Goosebumps or Lil chasers, will they work?
I would probably go for the Lil Chasers comparing the two in the way the tread looks, but I honestly couldn't tell you from experience. Most of the tracks I run on around my area have found to like the Boa's or AKA Enduros.
Some have ran much less aggressive tread on the same surfaces and do well with that to however. At the end of the day it's going to come down to driving style and paying attention to what the fast guys are running per track.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Well ended up with Double D's and my buddy had Lil Chasers, think the DD's worked slightly better. We had a blast and cant wait to race for real on this track at the National SC series here next year:
Old 10-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

The shock oil included with the kit. Is it the same as what you buy in the losi bottles? In the past i was told they were not the same.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Default Race report and SCTE 3.0 review

Race report. Outdoor track, damp early and nearly dry near end of mains with medium to smooth surface and little fluff on top in corners. Truck was good just about everywhere, but seems a little off the mark in some way. I have been testing combo of kit setup, Maifield and Hacker, but motor in stock config, not kicked out to side. I did test motor kicked out, but not best for my track. Slightly slower through the corners than 2.0 truck. Could be chassis balance left to right. I'm playing with lipo position to balance it. Balance front to rear is real close to my 2.0 truck. I currently have lipo up front and need to test other locations. I tested inside a arm on rear shocks and the landings were very soft. It soaked up bumps with ease. Might work better with less droop. Then I tried the middle on arm and it was better. All shocks feel good, but I am starting to notice some spring sag up front. I adjusted the front spring collars down with no threads showing to get 25mm ride height as day went on. I'm thinking these springs are off as well, so I plan to replace them soon. Using 59mm rear hinge pins to take slop out. On my truck the kit 58mm pins allow the rear a arms to move a lot. Shorter pins appear loose in the tapered part of the inserts. I really noticed it after taking 1mm off rear a arms to stop binding between suspension holders. 2.0 pins or M2C 59mm pins fix this for me.

I qualified second with 3.0 truck. I finished 3rd in the first of triple mains. Then I swapped to 2.0 truck for a 1st place finish in 2nd A main. Final main I was 2nd and thus finished 2nd overall. The 2.0 was a little faster and easier to drive on the edge. I'm searching for that sweet spot. Still have lots of things to test. There is very little setup sheet info from TLR drivers being posted from different tracks. I know they are racing the truck. I don't know if it is a kit truck or 2.0 with updates. Maybe they will post more soon. It will take time to find what works best. Till then, my 2.0 will get a much needed rebuild with many 3.0 parts. It is possible the 3.0 will be best for indoor tracks and the 2.0 working best outdoors.

Overall, I'm impressed with the improvements they have made. It has a few hiccups like all new rigs, but its a short list. The truck is durable and handles well with out of the box setup. No more Losi slop!!!! I must confess though, I did expect it to be instantly better in handling than my fully loaded 2.0 for some reason. It might be better on a different track. I can say that hands down the 3.0 out of the box is way better than the 2.0 truck out of the box. It is made better. It doesn't need the expensive aluminum carriers, uprights, Tekno shafts or chassis stiffeners that I felt were required on my 2.0 to be competitive. From here it can only get better.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Default SCTE 3.0 race video

Guys! This is the best 3.0 race footage available right now and it will not disappoint. Really shows how close the 2.0 and 3.0 trucks are and this race will keep you on the edge of your seat! I wont give up the finish, but the 3.0 is setting up front on the pole.

Enjoy!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82zLLUTwBCg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.