TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigdog
Congratulations TLR on such a great buggy! I am glad to be back running the 22! So my first night time running it at my local track LSR RACEWAY in Sacramento I was able to get the buggy competitive enough to hold of some pretty fast guys to get 2nd in our first race of our point series! This car handles really good. As good as my b5m that have been running sense the b5m came out! I'm not going to get on here and say the 22 3.0 is the best thing ever and no car compares to anything else. I think the TLR team has put out another great and very capable buggy to win a lot of races not just world class races but at the local and regional race level as well! Having a local sponsored driver like Derek Stefenson as a local driver I have will have plenty of help getting this buggy into the winning circle!!
Nice!
Old 01-30-2016, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

anyone have any recommendations for tires for blacktop/concrete street driving?
Old 01-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Tech Adept

Well I got to hand it to TLR with this buggy. Went out last night and ran some packs. On two different occasions I came head on with two different 4WD short course trucks. The first hit wasn't so bad as I was able to stop right before the guy come off that back straight, crossed over the pipe and nailed me. Nothing broke!

The second hit I was going down a short straight wide open (mod motor) and another 4wd Short Course truck did the same exact thing as the first one. This time I didn't see it coming and SHIZAMM, we hit hard and head on with each other. It was such a hard hit that my buggy flew backwards 20'. You know when you sitting in the pits and you hear a loud hit and your thinking, someone just broke....well that what I and everyone else who saw it was thinking. To my amazement, not a single thing was broke. A+ for the quality of this buggy and the parts.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi All,

What should I get of Options Parts to run the TLR 22 3.0
Old 01-30-2016, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FPMX772
Well I got to hand it to TLR with this buggy. Went out last night and ran some packs. On two different occasions I came head on with two different 4WD short course trucks. The first hit wasn't so bad as I was able to stop right before the guy come off that back straight, crossed over the pipe and nailed me. Nothing broke!

The second hit I was going down a short straight wide open (mod motor) and another 4wd Short Course truck did the same exact thing as the first one. This time I didn't see it coming and SHIZAMM, we hit hard and head on with each other. It was such a hard hit that my buggy flew backwards 20'. You know when you sitting in the pits and you hear a loud hit and your thinking, someone just broke....well that what I and everyone else who saw it was thinking. To my amazement, not a single thing was broke. A+ for the quality of this buggy and the parts.
Not to be a downer but you might want to check your chassis and see if it's bent.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KBRacing
Hi All,

Nothing really. The car is great out of the box. The one thing I would recommend is rear clamping hexes. Other things but not necessary would be the aluminum front ballstud mount, and front aluminum servo mounts.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hi All,

Different pistons is what I would get. The kit setup is fine but most have grabbed 1.7's for the rear.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi All,

Nothing needed as it's great out of the box, but I always run an aluminum servo arm. The aluminum hex for the rear is also nice, but not necessary.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all inputs......
Old 01-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Pink
Nothing really. The car is great out of the box. The one thing I would recommend is rear clamping hexes. Other things but not necessary would be the aluminum front ballstud mount, and front aluminum servo mounts.
These are great parts. I had all of them on my 2.0. The only drawback is weight. They are heavy. I like the stock plastic set up just fine.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has anyone had any issues running AKA wheels? The wheel nut seems to bottom out on the axles at the end of the thread and during a run the wheel starts to come loose.

Is everyone running TLR wheels?
Old 01-30-2016, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony2
Has anyone had any issues running AKA wheels? The wheel nut seems to bottom out on the axles at the end of the thread and during a run the wheel starts to come loose.

I've run AKA wheels and haven't noticed this but will keep a closer eye on them.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony2

I have noticed this recently, think it will only happen if you are not running the 1mm spacer on the axel on the inside of the hubs---I just used the 1mm spacer to take up the slack before putting on the wheel nut....I am using the aluminum clamping hex's, not sure if this problem would exist with the stock plastic hex's--unless the aluminum ones are slightly thinner....

Last edited by brian cox; 01-30-2016 at 04:29 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 01-30-2016, 04:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

It's a close fit with the AKA wheels and the stock hexes but I found it to work acceptably.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess it could be solved with the TLR +.75 clamping hex.

But you are charging the width of the car and possibly taking away a little grip in the rear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.