Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree84Likes

Team Associated SC5M Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by islandscott
What length sensor cable is needed?
I use a 180mm
Old 08-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Brass weight

Anyone running any of the aftermarket brass weight on this truck, or is it not needed? I've always found that some weight on my mid motor vehicles they respond to weight well
Old 08-19-2015, 06:38 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirt42fan
I am wanting to get one of these. I currently have 2 Losi 22sct 2.0. I dont want to have to buy all new wheels/tires. What could I do so I use the wheels I have now.
thanks
Losi uses a zero offset rim on their trucks. To get to the maximum ROAR width on the SC5M you can use +3 offset rims. If you have the zero offset rims (so do I), you will need to either get rid of them (I plan on it) or find a way to space each hex by 3mm to reach the max width. You could always run the zero offset rims as well. You will have a much more reactive truck with the narrower rims.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ran the truck today on a lightly sugared track, bone stock and it was spot of with my modded losi SCT. This truck is was nothing but a great investment. A little soft in the front but thats and easy fix.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Got it finished up a couple days ago and have a couple thoughts.
1. Needed to come with wheels...that kills me.
2. I was missing a screw and the topshaft but luckily I was close to a hobby shop who had them.
3. Shock package seems very light. When on carpet I run 40 wt. In my buggies in the front and now seeing that people are even feeling light at 35 makes me wonder if I should go to 45 or even 50 to stiffen up the front.
4. It went together smooth but a few of the instructions COULD be confusing to someone new to associated or new to the hobby.
5. One of my shock shafts flexes where the seals sit. It concerns me but not overly worried. Its sat for a couple days and no leaking.

I know those were a few gripes, but I'm happy with it, excited to run it. I'll be running a RSX, 7.5 or 17.5, and a Spektrum 6040.
My final thought is it would've gone a lot quicker if the builder wasn't so damn excited and took his time, paid attention, and Didn't have to go back several steps.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Anything above 40 even on carpet or really high traction is the wrong direction. Try going to a smaller piston or stiffer spring first.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Why run clamping hex fronts/new axles vs the kit axle/hex combo? What's the advantage to the new stuff?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yup, confirmed it today, went back to the old style springs and consistently picked up .5 to 1 second. Then made some other small changes and kept getting faster. I am gonna play with the springs some more and see what I come up with. But so far I am sticking to the older springs and 9mm offset retainers.

Red front, blue rear.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I’ll give you my take after one track night at Pegasus, a dry low to medium grip track. Quite simply the truck is awesome and flat out rips. It feels light, turns on a dime, and responds quickly on and off the ground. My truck didn’t nose dive or get the parachute effect at all. Make sure you set your ride height correctly. The suspension is excellent and the new springs seem to be the real deal. I want to try the springs on my T5M next. I liked the shorty pack best because the truck responds faster vs saddles/square pack. The saddles really tame the handling down on and off the ground. I’m going to try some clay tomorrow; I’ll let you know how that goes. If you like the associated 5M series you cannot go wrong with this truck!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bds81175
Losi uses a zero offset rim on their trucks. To get to the maximum ROAR width on the SC5M you can use +3 offset rims. If you have the zero offset rims (so do I), you will need to either get rid of them (I plan on it) or find a way to space each hex by 3mm to reach the max width. You could always run the zero offset rims as well. You will have a much more reactive truck with the narrower rims.
Maybe use the T5m front axles, they are wider than the SC5m's, probably close to 3mm. Avid also makes 12mm wheel spacer kits if you don't want to buy all new wheels/tires.

Avid Wheel Spacers
Old 08-20-2015, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxturd
Anyone running any of the aftermarket brass weight on this truck, or is it not needed? I've always found that some weight on my mid motor vehicles they respond to weight well
Can someone answer this question pleas . I haven't started my build yet but would like to know it there is a difference in performance with or with out.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB
Maybe use the T5m front axles, they are wider than the SC5m's, probably close to 3mm. Avid also makes 12mm wheel spacer kits if you don't want to buy all new wheels/tires.

Avid Wheel Spacers
I would find a wider hex, you could start stripping rims on high bite on the rear using that much spacer
Old 08-20-2015, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ALLSPEED
Can someone answer this question pleas . I haven't started my build yet but would like to know it there is a difference in performance with or with out.
I run on med to med-high bite clay and built the truck box stock with a few set up changes. Just like I did with my T5M.

I ended up going with brass C and D mounts, as well as back to the old style springs. (red front/blue rear) I have made a few other changes since set-up wise so I am going to try going back to the new style springs just because everyone else swears by them. This may sound absolutely insane, but I feel as though the new style springs are too "springy". I dont know, the movement of the older springs seems more of a fluid motion than the new ones.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 3srcracing
Anything above 40 even on carpet or really high traction is the wrong direction. Try going to a smaller piston or stiffer spring first.
Sorry for my question but can you explain why?
Old 08-21-2015, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MadRiderSD
Sorry for my question but can you explain why?
When you get to 40+ weight oil in an off-road suspension, slow rebound becomes an issue. At that point the chassis handles badly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.