Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scottreida
I'm considering the idea of boiling the bulkheads...but have a concern. How much more forgiving will the part be? What I'm worried about is that there may end up being too much flex in the bearing area as a result...and then that area will end up with too much play. Thoughts?
For clarification, you don't actually boil the part. What we did for the Pro4 was to boil some water, put into a plastic tupperware, drop part in, let cool to room temperature. It softened up the part a little bit; how much, I couldn't tell you. It did prevent the stripping that was occurring with the first Pro4 kits.

I'm still waiting for Stormer to get the kits in, so the following may or may not work. Here's what I'm going to try:

1. Pre-Tapping the holes with a tap and grease
2. Not using an electric screwdriver to screw the screws in.
3. Using washers to distribute the load on the screws that attach the shock tower to the bulkhead
4. Not over-tightening the screws.

I'm guessing Xray used a very stiff composite formulation for their molded parts. With their experience in 1/8, I'm not sure why they could not get the 1/10 to be as durable as their 1/8.

I happen to think they will fix things, it might just take time to reformulate, run a batch, and then put out to market the fix.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flode007
I hope this will work :-) See the link
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/83964783/.fa..._541115409.jpg
Nice work! I wonder if Exotek is taking notes!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Your link worked and that looks good.

I am currently working on putting together an XB4.

My Caster wheeler has a similar brace on it to what you made (see the orange aluminum piece at the front in the photo below).

Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

That is a easy and nice fix
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

very nice flode!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Theibault
Just for clarifaction, and I am in no way trolling, have you broken anything on yours?
Not yet, only one club race day since I have it. Like I said I drove XB4 scared I did not drive it like the way it meant to be driven.

My LHS told me some of the Xray spare parts are on the way. Not sure what are coming tho. Since XB4 was my first and only 4WD buggy I have and we will have a big race coming up next Saturday. I did not want to break anything before the race and have no parts. Trust me if I break something and I can walk up to the front of the store and get the replacement part I will drive this buggy like it wasn’t mine

Right now just 2WD until I see what my LHS have in spares.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Contact XRay

I was not complaining about the car in my earlier post, I simply want all XB4 owners that have experienced problems to contact XRay directly at [email protected]. I absolutely love the car and I understand that all new kits have teething issues. By contacting XRay directly, they will have a better understanding of the issues that are happening to owners that don't drive inch perfect every time.
Now, would anyone like to post their low traction set up?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Setup thoughts

I agree with the comment to get more on here regarding setups! I haven't driven mine yet (besides up and down the hallway). I only have a 4.5t and am waiting for the 8.5t to come in the mail. There was a nice table posted on here on an earlier page regarding the recommended t for the motor. What about pinion size? I saw a video posted recently here where the guy used a 7.5 with a 23 tooth...

As for mods I've heard about (besides fixing broken parts)...a guy at my track went against the grain on the stiffness settings...has the rear two 'hard' setting screws in and the outside 'medium' setting screws in. We have a moderate sized clay track. The other change was putting the ride height at 23 vs 18.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by komkit
Not yet, only one club race day since I have it. Like I said I drove XB4 scared I did not drive it like the way it meant to be driven.

My LHS told me some of the Xray spare parts are on the way. Not sure what are coming tho. Since XB4 was my first and only 4WD buggy I have and we will have a big race coming up next Saturday. I did not want to break anything before the race and have no parts. Trust me if I break something and I can walk up to the front of the store and get the replacement part I will drive this buggy like it wasn’t mine

Right now just 2WD until I see what my LHS have in spares.
Originally Posted by losi b
I was not complaining about the car in my earlier post, I simply want all XB4 owners that have experienced problems to contact XRay directly at [email protected]. I absolutely love the car and I understand that all new kits have teething issues. By contacting XRay directly, they will have a better understanding of the issues that are happening to owners that don't drive inch perfect every time.
Now, would anyone like to post their low traction set up?
Komkit, that's understandable about taking it easy. Glad you've gotten to at least drive it some. Let us know how race day goes.
LosiB, I commend you for bringing it up. If XRAY doesn't hear from us, how are they going to know what's happening. They were already looking at the diff cases after EOS. Hopefully everyone here sends a pic of their broken part with a quick summary of how it happened and we'll get some fixes.
[email protected]
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I raced my car hard last week with zero problems. I'm not saying the issues people are posting about aren't legit. However, I had some pretty horrific crashes with my car that definitely made me cringe and assume the car would be broken based on the posting in the threads. ZERO issues. Diff gears held up fine. Towers held up fine. Diff case held up fine.

My car was on rails and I set the 2nd fastest lap of any class that day. A huge accomplishment for me and had most of the 4wd guys going like WTF as I was the first to have one locally and the cars abiltiy on the track was very evident in my Joe Average driver hands. So it isn't like I was pussyfooting around the track at all.

I had several lawn darts and two very high speed cartwheels down a straightaway that I am dead sure would have snapped a front Durango arm. This car is way more robust than my dex410v3 (for sale if anyone is interested!)

It could be a bad batch of parts or some guys just need to be more careful about crashing. If you hit enough walls, something will break at some point. While the Xray Xb9 is damn near bullet proof, it is also twice the weight/size.

I'm sure there are some points Xray can improve, but I don't think the handwringing over the durability is all that warranted just yet. Most cars I've owned had some serious issues on the first run. I don't think the few instances we've been reading about are all that unusual.

I did post in the Xray Forums for them to come see this thread like two weeks ago.

very happy with this car. It is definitely a level above the others in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Tech Addict

Have anyone gone from the kit 10K/5K settings and used thinner oils in the diffs yet? What did you experince?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I am gonna go thicker than stock maybe 20 10 to start with. BUt going with steel gears for that
Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Very nice crafting!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (98%+)

I want one!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhhack
I want one!
Me too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.