Wiki Posts
Search

Lapped Traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by neobart
Uhmmmm what do you think the blue flag in formula racing is for? it's to tell a slower racer to get the f*** out of the way.
Courtesy only.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

your absolutely right, i condone people getting rammed, and punted off, i'm surprised you don't share my view since nascar is so big over in the states?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kai888
your absolutely right, i condone people getting rammed, and punted off, i'm surprised you don't share my view since nascar is so big over in the states?

Now I'm a fan of Nascar? Please feel free to untwist your panties and pull your head from your ass. Thx.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i would never expect some to move over but i like to call on the stand and have others call on the stand when they are coming up on traffic, for one reason alone....... so maybe the "lapper" will be extra careful after the pass is made by the leader not to accidentally take them out when they try to run on pace
Old 09-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Tech Regular

Lapping traffic can be a royal PITA....but it's one of the challenges of being fast.

I agree that if you're about to be lapped then let him pass by either going out of your line a little or just let up on the throttle slightly. Sure it sucks if you're the one being lapped, but don't try and race the guy and end up crashing him or yourself.

Often the people being lapped are less experienced (or have a crap setup) and as a result can be all over the track and have no real line. Accidents at times are inevitable and just a fact of racing. Since some people like to make an example of Formula 1, a lot of crashes there are a result of other cars' actions....same goes in RC.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by neobart
Uhmmmm what do you think the blue flag in formula racing is for? it's to tell a slower racer to get the f*** out of the way.

True, though in some forms of racing, and depends on what the sanctioning body rules are, the blue flag is there only to let them know that the leader is coming. My blue flag is the warning.

I don't think it is required to ever move until the blue flag with yellow striped is waved, and I rarely see that being waved.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:43 AM
Tech Initiate

I dont expect anyone to get out of my way and let me past, but what really winds me up is when you lap someone and they then try to race you and end up wiping you out
Old 09-19-2010, 02:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by scooterboy
I dont expect anyone to get out of my way and let me past, but what really winds me up is when you lap someone and they then try to race you and end up wiping you out

Though for a beginner it could be really hard to know exactly even who the leader is. At some tracks for a beginner, the track is just really crowded and they have a hard enough time just paying attention to just their truck. They don't realize who is behind them or in front of them in positions. They are just out there.

But yes, that can be really annoying.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This whole letting people around when you're being lapped is news to me. On the off chance that I get an opportunity to lap someone, I think of it just like passing someone for a better position, I have to find my own line. If I'm running well enough to lap, I'm running well enough to pass without a pull over. Doesn't mean that I should go barreling into someone and then take off, but a lot of times I'll wait a turn or two for an opportunity and shoot a gap.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Seems like a few mixed reviews and I surely didn't expect 3 pages in the first day!
Consensus is about the same though. I've lapped and been lapped depending on what track I race at so it's hard. I agree that "racing" someone who's a lap down can be annoying but why should the slower person have to run even slower on purpose? If the guy is lapping he should be able to pull ahead quickly enough to not be in the same corners as the person he just put down.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've seen guys battle hard for 4 minutes and the have that good race tainted by lap traffic. If it's the A-main that shouldn't happen but it does.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Here's my theory on lapping people:

Aim for them!

By the time you get there, they will be somewhere else and you'll go right by. Keep in mind this only goes for those racers who don't have the control it takes to let you by cleanly. Any racer that is capable of holding a line shouldn't be a problem to pass. If you put a move on someone and they punt you in the next corner, you need to have a chat with them after the race to explain courteous driving.

Scenario 2 goes something like this:

Any battle for position should be respected. Doesn't matter if the battle is between 1st and 2nd or 4th and 5th. Don't mess with the battle. As an example, last week I was racing and the leader managed to get a lap lead on the field and came up on the battle for 2-4. The leader then slowed a little to not interfere with the fight for 2, 3, and 4.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

It's just on what event you are on.

On a club level race you have to account for the fact that not every driver is exactly sure on their position in the race. Most don't even know there getting lapped so they will try and race you. So either you tell them your lapping them ( NICELY !!!! ), but usually its saver to just try and overtake them so they wont make irratic moves. Also a good race director will give a heads-up if there getting lapped.

On bigger events, if your good enough to have to worry about lapping people at smaller events you're going (or should be anyway) to be placed in heats and finals with other experienced racers who all know what there doing

If I get lapped myself (yes it happens ) I tell the person who is lapping me that I'm getting out of the way in what corner, that way you both know what is going to happen. Mostly you can hang on for a few laps and try to get back to fight for 5th or something. But sometimes you get overtaken by 2 or 3 guys battling for the lead, and chances are they will crash and that you will have to let them past again. You won't have to like it, but you will have to do it.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gubbs3
Here's my theory on lapping people:

Aim for them!

By the time you get there, they will be somewhere else and you'll go right by. Keep in mind this only goes for those racers who don't have the control it takes to let you by cleanly. Any racer that is capable of holding a line shouldn't be a problem to pass. If you put a move on someone and they punt you in the next corner, you need to have a chat with them after the race to explain courteous driving.

Scenario 2 goes something like this:

Any battle for position should be respected. Doesn't matter if the battle is between 1st and 2nd or 4th and 5th. Don't mess with the battle. As an example, last week I was racing and the leader managed to get a lap lead on the field and came up on the battle for 2-4. The leader then slowed a little to not interfere with the fight for 2, 3, and 4.
One more reason he was the leader, he's smart. You can be the fastest guy on the track but if you don't know how to RACE odds are you're not going to win.

I jokingly tell people "pin it to win it" those who actually listen to that don't normaly finish on top.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

When I'm lapping traffic I expect them to maintain line discipline and lower their speed slightly.

Bah, who am I kidding, when I'm getting lapped I slow down and move to the outside on the straight, in the corners, take your chances!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.