Wiki Posts
Search

Debating going to 2.4ghz

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Debating going to 2.4ghz

I currently have 3 cars that I race......

XXX-T with a novak 13.5 brushless setup for super stock. I run a JR XR2i with a futaba 75 MHz reciever. It never glitches, ever.

XXX BK1 - with a novack 13.5 brushless setup for super stock. I was running a JR XS3 75 MHz FM but once I went brushless the f'ing thing started glitching like mad. I switched to a 75 Mhz AM and started sharing the XR2i with my truck. The only thing is, with the JR AM reciever, I still get some glitching, but much better than the FM.

XXX-4 - with a novak 8.5 brushless setup for mod. Currently running a 27 mhz AM futabla 2PL. It works well, but with all of the slash's at my track, I often run into frequency conflicts.

So basically, I am kicking around going with a 2.4 GHz setup, or just getting another futaba 75 Mhz AM reciever for my BK1 since it seems to work in my truck.

I was looking at the Spektrum DX3S because it has a good number of features, and more importantly it comes with two recievers so I could take care of both the BK1 and the xxx-4 with one shot. However, I had also read that the Futaba 3PM is a "better" setup that is less prone to glitching, but it's about the same cost as the DX3S and only comes with one RX.

In my mind, the DX3S is the best value, but if it glitched I would murder somebody. Thoughts?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

switching to any 2.4 is like going brushless or lipo , once you do it the only thing youll think is why did i wait so long , you wont regret it , ray
Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ray3619
switching to any 2.4 is like going brushless or lipo , once you do it the only thing youll think is why did i wait so long , you wont regret it , ray
What he said!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ray3619
Yup.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Get whichever one you want based on other factors. Neither one is going to glitch. I happen to run a DX3.0.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Wheres the debate? Go 2.4 and never look back.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I recommend the Spektrum. It seems that's what most people are using Spektrum equipment at the tracks I go to. I'm sure the Futaba and other systems are great, but Spektrum appears to be more popular... Additionally, most of the Horizon/Losi stuff that comes ready to go has Spektrum receivers in them. This may give you flexibility down the road. Also, the Spektrum 3500 receivers are tiny and the antenna is only about 2.5 inches long. You don't even need to route these antennas and they never, ever glitch.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah I put a Spektrum Module in my Airtronics M11, and I'll never look back!

I also run a DX6i with DSM2 (Spektrum) for my ParkZone T-28 Trjoan when I fly

J
Old 04-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by richard.bratton
I recommend the Spektrum. It seems that's what most people are using Spektrum equipment at the tracks I go to. I'm sure the Futaba and other systems are great, but Spektrum appears to be more popular... Additionally, most of the Horizon/Losi stuff that comes ready to go has Spektrum receivers in them. This may give you flexibility down the road. Also, the Spektrum 3500 receivers are tiny and the antenna is only about 2.5 inches long. You don't even need to route these antennas and they never, ever glitch.
That's actually a really great point about the older losi RTR recievers being compatible.

Alright, I think I might just order the DX3S today.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've had both Spektrum and Futaba's Fasst. I've had a little better experience with the Fasst system. A few times I had to rebind my Spektrum system due to odd glitching and/or no link at all between tx and rx. I've now had my Futaba system longer than I had my Spektrum and have never had any issues.

Don't misunderstand....I'm not saying that you will have those problems with the Spektrum. I'm just relaying my personal experiences.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I made the switch from an Airtronics MX-3 FM crystal radio to a Futaba 3PM FASST a couple years ago when I was getting glitches in my nitro truck. Since then I think I can count on one hand how many radio problems I've had, and every time I looked down and saw the transmitter batteries were dead.

Like ray3619 said, it's like going LiPo: it's a healthy chunk of money to spend all at once, but it's essentially a one-time purchase. The only thing that my Airtronics had over my Futaba is an R603FF FASST receiver costs about twice as much as the ones I bought for my MX-3. Kindof a buzzkill when you've got 5 vehicles.

The Airtronics rides around in my BoLink Legend and my TC4 dirt late model, just because those two don't get driven very often. I've got a pair of FASST receivers, one's permanently in my 6x6 E-Maxx and the other flips back and forth between my Short Course truck and my Gas Truck. Although, the Gas Truck's probably going to be relegated to being a basher, so that'll probably be where my next FASST receiver goes.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would go 2.4 sell your other 3 radios and buy the 3rd reciever then all vehicles are on the same radio.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

That's one of my big reservations, the cost of the recievers.

I've got 6 cars right now, but only 3 get used regularly. So that is a lot of recievers, I'd probably just keep the olders stuff with AM or FM since they don't have glitching issues.

I was thinking about getting the DX3s to use in the XXX and XXX-4, and running the AM in the truck until I feel like buying a 3rd RX.

I'd probably want to pick up a cheap, compatible TX somewhere in case a buddy wants to drive one of my cars.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Alright, I ordered the DX3S just now, if I don't like it I'm coming after all of you!!