Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
anyone make aluminum mod 1 pinions? can i convert my 8ight buggy to 32 pitch? >

anyone make aluminum mod 1 pinions? can i convert my 8ight buggy to 32 pitch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default anyone make aluminum mod 1 pinions? can i convert my 8ight buggy to 32 pitch?

i'd like to convert to 32 pitch because then i can get aluminum pinions from castle creations
Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2jim1

i'd like to convert to 32 pitch because then i can get aluminum pinions from castle creations
You obviously don't know it yet, but you really don't want aluminum pinions on electric 1/8th scales.

I had a Centrury steel pinion wear out running against a Kyosho plastic spur. You would probably have to change your aluminum pinions every heat. (slight exageration, but only slight.)

Last edited by ta_man; 03-19-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
You obviously don't know it yet, but you really don't want aluminum pinions on electric 1/8th scales.

I had a Centrury steel pinion wear out running against a Kyosho plastic spur. You would probably have to change your aluminum pinions every heat. (slight exageration, but only slight.)

most of the mod 1 pinions are aluminum, but there hardend...
Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Aluminum pinions don't work well for 1/8th buggies. They will only last a couple of runs if you are running a metal spur and not much longer with plastic spurs. Hardened steel pinions were a huge improvement when they finally came out.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Rookie

well i'd like to try it

i had aluminum in my e-revo brushless that has way bigger tires and it didn't have any problem

and i don't think that most 1/8 pinions are aluminum and that they are just hardened since most of the ones i have seen advertised say hardened steel

please keep the information comming though
Old 03-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
most of the mod 1 pinions are aluminum, but there hardend...
Please point out two brands intended for RC use - showing manufacturer's description that they are aluminum. If "most" are aluminum, it shouldn't be too hard to show us two brands.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Why do you want to try aluminum?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

well i'd like to try it

i had aluminum in my e-revo brushless that has way bigger tires and it didn't have any problem

and i don't think that most 1/8 pinions are aluminum and that they are just hardened since most of the ones i have seen advertised say hardened steel

please keep the information comming though
2jim,an 1/8th scale electric is alot harder on the drive system the an e-revo. No slipper and lots of torque. There's really no advantage and two distinct disadvantages I can think of:1) aluminum shavings all over inside my buggy, 2) less money in my pockets!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Rookie

thats funny. i just like having lighter parts and a lighter drive train for more efficiency and i think that aluminum ones are way cooler

i will say that the plastic spur in my 8ight-E is way cooler than the metal one that i had cause it is so much quieter and smoother sounding, although it stis closer to the motor mount so i had to grind my motor mount down some so that the pinion doesn't hit

thanks for the info
Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

thats funny. i just like having lighter parts and a lighter drive train for more efficiency and i think that aluminum ones are way cooler

i will say that the plastic spur in my 8ight-E is way cooler than the metal one that i had cause it is so much quieter and smoother sounding, although it stis closer to the motor mount so i had to grind my motor mount down some so that the pinion doesn't hit

thanks for the info
Most of the drive train weight in a 1/8th buggy is in the diffs. If you can make the diffs lighter, you might have something worth while.