R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Timmahh
Default One Off Pro2 CORR Trophy Truck Build with trailing arm suspension

hey peeps, thought i would show you the project ive been working on for the last month.

i figured i would see what i can do to make a 2WD PRO CORR truck with trailing arm suspension.

I started with a TL XXX-T chassis. Made a fair amount of mods to the rear end and shock tower and remounted it. I used a HPI WK axle for the rear with custom mouting plates (adds to the TT Details I think), axial high clearance links for trailing arms (used in reverse), tamiya pieces to mount them.

use Jammin X2-CR front shocks for the rear suspension, and Axial alum body shocks with blue firm springs for the front. need to take the spacer out of the front shocks yet and put new oil in as its a bit bouncy up front atm.

installed Traxxass 2075 servo for steering, and xl-5 wp esc and 21t motor for power running the XXX Tranny which is locked. Front C Hubs got Slash Carriers and spindles as the XXX setup uses bearings in the rims, and i want to use slash rims tires (will probably get a set of the Proline Switches). had to clearance the c hub on the front to get full turn radius without the spindle hitting the C hub. Works very smooth now. need to lock the steering servo in place yet.

used an axial ax 10 battery plate for the battery plate on the TT, and a waterproof reciever box between the rear shock towers, to keep it out of the way and safe. slash rims and tires (running opposites ie, front in rear, and rear in front for offset purposes) and a modified axle drive shaft.

all thats really left is to pick up a body (thinking the Proline Hardcore or the new one they have for the slashes) and a velcro mounting setup. the body will get a few mods for scale appearances as well.

heres some pics of the build process. all comments are welcomed.

concept (good ole MS Paint)

Some Inspiration

the Victim after modding the rear shock tower, this is the 1st position, i later modded the chassis furter to lower the shock tower to the bottom of the chassis where it currently is now.

axle and link mockup

initial layout of tranny links shocks four link setup ect....

first round of mockups and build done. checking squat charecteristics, suspension setup, drive shaft function, linkage set up ect.

full sprung ride height

front at full compression, rear at 1/3rd (front had red soft springs in front, now has blue firms installed)

rear shocks at 2/3rd compression (the axle also starts to roll over here, which allows it to compress a bit easier the last 1/3rd of the travel)

and at full squat

Got a few more parts last Saturday and the motor esc today, so this is where it is at right now. just needs body and a way to mount it.

im going to prolly run a 2s 4000 or 5000 mah pack. all in all im in around 200 or a bit more and only need a body and body mounting system. will run it with my React system. will get more pics and info when i get rid of the snow and 10*f weather. only thing i can see being a possible issue is the ball diff tranny. so i may put a locker in it (already tight and its not tight enough) or just put a slash tranny setup in it. i am also going to put either lighter springs on the rear shocks, or mount a 2nd pair of sprung shocks, and remove the springs on the Jammin shock. i may still yet use my original concept idea to use a pair of RC4WD dual spring shocks and a 2nd pair of thier remote resi shocks. will depend on how the maiden runs go, and what first setup changes i make and see how it handles. but i think it will do pretty well.

basic specs

Front Tracking 11.25 in
Rear Tracking 10.25 in
Wheel Base is 13.3 full up and 13.1 full compression (get a bit of pull in on the rear axle at full compresion, about 1/8th inch)

2s lipo power and stock slash electronics.

lmk what you all think.
Timmahh
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562290-wreckluse-crawler-chassis-other-scaler-parts.html http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562534-hpi-baja-items-f-s-motor-rtr-tranny-full-wheel-sets-servos-more.html

Last edited by Timmahh; 03-18-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

Looks good...if you want to change the title, click edit, then click edit at the edit screen...good work...
Old 03-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
Tech Master

thanx, knew there was a way to do it, but forgot about going to advanced on edit.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562290-wreckluse-crawler-chassis-other-scaler-parts.html http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562534-hpi-baja-items-f-s-motor-rtr-tranny-full-wheel-sets-servos-more.html
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i like the look of that. good job.

do you see any issues with the angle of the chassis? shouldnt it be a bit more parallel with the ground?

how does it compare to the slash sized body?
2 x GB01 Tamtechs
Custom solid axle SC
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Tech Master

i still have some suspension adjustments, and will most likly go with more scale dual shock rear setup using a dual rate and remote resi in 100mm lengths. which will even out the chassis, but i ll loose a bit of over all travel from what i have now.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What did you do to the diff to put power to the rear whells instead of just spinning the forward outdrive?

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Tech Master

it has the ball diff in it, so i tightened it as much as i could to lock it up. i dont think i m going to be able to get it locked enought for my taste. i heard there is a locker made for them, but i may remove the balls, and just lock it up manually with a few small nuts and bolts and a drill bit.

worse case scenario, i ll buy and use a Slash tranny, which is easily locked.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Run a bolt from through the bottom of the chassis that locks the front outdrive (and provides another mounting point). It would be like holding one wheel while you gas it to spin the other wheel. BUT....your diff balls will wear out really quickly....

Doesnt the losi speed T or desert truck come with a locked diff?
jk racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
Tech Master

i have thought about doing that, but wondered about additional wear.

the more in research it and the more i think about it, the more i want to install a locked slash tranny.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
i have thought about doing that, but wondered about additional wear.

the more in research it and the more i think about it, the more i want to install a locked slash tranny.
The speed T uses a spool, just use that and you're done.

DON'T just lock the front outdrive and make the diff constantly work, that's just pissing power away and causing frequent diff rebuilds.
XXX-T - Stock Truck
XXX4+g
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Very cool! Can't wait to see it when its complete!
Bellvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
Tech Master

well after a few initial runs, i didnt like the speed with the stock slash esc/motor. this was with all stock gearing, 86t Spur and 23t pinion. wasnt up to a stock slash so...

i pulled the xxxt tranny and installed a slash tranny that i locked very simply. it has a smaller ratio so i gained some speed. it was better, but still not great. tonight i got a 28t p and a 72t spur, so thats installed. tomorrow im going to get the tmaxx yolk and put the driveshaft on, and i think it ll be pretty close to stock speeds.

using a Tmaxx 2.5 driveshaft that has yolks on both ends, and is shortened (need a yolk end i ll pick up tomorrow).

i ll also be adding the NMT4 diff ring gear and pinion. it is a 14t Pin and a 36t ring opposed to the WK 13/38, so my gear ratio in the axle will go from 2.92:1 to 2.57:1. that will also gain a few top MPHs. i ll also be looking for larger pinions and smaller spurs i can mod on while at the couple local LHS' here. seen i can get as big as a 40t pinion and as small as a 60t spur. hmmmm. that shoule pep it up.

im hopeing to report back tomorrow with better results. once i like it at this speed, then it ll be bl time.

ok few pics of body on.

now you all can get a idea of what i have had pictured. this is only about 2/3rds the way built. probaby weighs around 3 lbs right now.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Timmmah, I see you turned the links around like i threw out there. Look's much better
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiEzel View Post
Hey Timmmah, I see you turned the links around like i threw out there. Look's much better
+1 this thing looks great. I hope that differential holds up in the rear.
T-maxx O.S .18tm
snowboard094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:13 AM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiEzel View Post
yes and i agree. looks Much better and doesnt really change geometery or how it is working.

getting closer.
thanx for the comments guys. if it turns out as good as its shaping up, its going to be a blast to drive.