Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
C Rating battery craze! True or untrue!! >

C Rating battery craze! True or untrue!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C Rating battery craze! True or untrue!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I can only speak for myself, but I was going to go with the ThunderPower 5000/40c until yesterday. I think the type of support from Danny/SMC will go a long way with other consumers too. Danny you must have spent a lot valuble time answering questions ASAP and communicating with everyone that could have been spent working. To me, that means you truely believe in what your doing and the product you represent. That's why I'll go SMC for my new LiPo's. I'm taking this winter off to "retool" my "race shop" to LiPo's. It's not a cheap venture, but will definately save me $$$$ in the long run; aside from the convenience factor.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Legend

I`m sticking with my Reedy`s ....
Old 02-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Team Tekin

So performance and price is what is important to consumers. Do we dare take to this to a deeper level of morality and responsibility of the industry to safety for the general public and REAL UN testing? I will be the first to admit that the lipo batteries are much better than they were and the UN Tests are on the verge of ridiculous. However these tests exist for the benefit of those that are not in RC but are effected by the presence of lipos and the risks they include being shipped all over the country by many means. That includes direct sales from overseas.

Do we care? They go fast and they are cheap. Where do we draw the line picking and choosing what rules we ignore to save a buck. What really separates some batteries is the cost of doing it right and consistent quality controls. Companies that do it right simply have a higher product cost.

Given the recent issues from China with toys, food products and health supplements that all have things in them that actually kill people, it is clear they are not concerned. I have seen many UN testing reports that are simply bogus. A child can type up passing test results and supply them. If you think the government is watching out for you wake up! Money drives the system and the bargain hunters are feeding the monster that some day may bite us. These be treacherous waters right now and the energy density levels just keep getting higher and higher. For long term success of lipo in RC something has to change. We simply cannot compete with those that are not bound by the same level of responsibility at the expense of the general public.

Tekin Prez
Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
So performance and price is what is important to consumers. Do we dare take to this to a deeper level of morality and responsibility of the industry to safety for the general public and REAL UN testing? I will be the first to admit that the lipo batteries are much better than they were and the UN Tests are on the verge of ridiculous. However these tests exist for the benefit of those that are not in RC but are effected by the presence of lipos and the risks they include being shipped all over the country by many means. That includes direct sales from overseas.

Do we care? They go fast and they are cheap. Where do we draw the line picking and choosing what rules we ignore to save a buck. What really separates some batteries is the cost of doing it right and consistent quality controls. Companies that do it right simply have a higher product cost.

Given the recent issues from China with toys, food products and health supplements that all have things in them that actually kill people, it is clear they are not concerned. I have seen many UN testing reports that are simply bogus. A child can type up passing test results and supply them. If you think the government is watching out for you wake up! Money drives the system and the bargain hunters are feeding the monster that some day may bite us. These be treacherous waters right now and the energy density levels just keep getting higher and higher. For long term success of lipo in RC something has to change. We simply cannot compete with those that are not bound by the same level of responsibility at the expense of the general public.

Tekin Prez
Agreed. Thanks for your "Zippy" response!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Agreed. Thanks for your "Zippy" response!

Are you saying that Zippy Lipo's are cheap because they get to circumvent the process or something? Just curious, good info.

trout
Old 02-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trout74
Are you saying that Zippy Lipo's are cheap because they get to circumvent the process or something? Just curious, good info.

trout
I'm saying Zippys are cheap for any number of reasons. They're out to capture the rock-bottom price point market and you've got to cut a lot of corners to get to where they are. I know guys using them that take the approach of, "just buy them, open them up, re-solder everything, and put them back together." That scares me.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm saying Zippys are cheap for any number of reasons. They're out to capture the rock-bottom price point market and you've got to cut a lot of corners to get to where they are. I know guys using them that take the approach of, "just buy them, open them up, re-solder everything, and put them back together." That scares me.
I got it, I follow you.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Zippy lipos are definitely inferior to the more reputable companies. However, they do offer great value. When some lipos can cost $250 bucks, but you can get a zippy for $90 bucks, it becomes hard to turn down that kind of price difference no matter the quality. Zippys are disposable batteries IMHO. I have raced on them all year, they work well, but quickly approaching the end of their life and will be primarily practice packs. My more expensive packs definitely last longer and maintain their punch and balance over time much better than the zippys. Not too mention the quality of the construction.

I agree with Jim @ Tekin though. I am more than willing to pay a premium for quality made products, particularly when it is made in America. We may not see it on an individual level, but our choices with who we spend money with affect us all one way or another. However, there is a difference between paying for quality and just over paying. I bought a bunch of Enerland cells because another brand had them priced very competitively. Much more than a zippy, but no where near the $250 that a lot of battery companies want.

The problem is that as cell technology is changing so rapidly that I find it a hard sell to spend that much money on something that will essentially be obsolete in six months to a year.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Zippy lipos are definitely inferior to the more reputable companies. However, they do offer great value. When some lipos can cost $250 bucks, but you can get a zippy for $90 bucks, it becomes hard to turn down that kind of price difference no matter the quality.
To each his own, but I just don't subscribe to that logic. $100-$125 for a high-end lipo (in 2S at least, sounds like you're using bigger for 1/8 or something) is well worth the money. Over the cycle life you'll come out way ahead, with a far lesser risk of the thing taking a dump on you during use.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

To each his own, but I just don't subscribe to that logic. $100-$125 for a high-end lipo (in 2S at least, sounds like you're using bigger for 1/8 or something) is well worth the money. Over the cycle life you'll come out way ahead, with a far lesser risk of the thing taking a dump on you during use.
I run 1/8 so no quality 2s packs at $80 bucks for me. I agree that $125 for a high end lipo is a steal, particularly when you are talking 5s 4000mah sized packs and larger. That is what I was referring to later in my post when I said a name brand manufacturer had enerland based cells for more than zippys but no where near the $250 bucks that these packs normally cost.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

I am excited to get some SMC lipo's for my RC8, hence my prodding to get Danny to make one,a nd ill follow thru and buy some. But I have a 4s zippy and it cost me $68, for real. and similiar ones can easily cost $250. Very hard to justify, unless you are very wealthy, I am not. THough I will pony up for the SMC batter but I bet it wont go for $250 either, but the ones made by Maxamps go for that much. Heck I have one of their packs. But I get your point and its valid to me.
trout
Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Edumakated
However, there is a difference between paying for quality and just over paying.
I agree with most of what you just said, But this sentence was awesome and resume pretty well how the market work today (for everything).
Zippy did at least give a good punch in the face on some compagny that did rely only on Marketing to sell the same stuff for 3 time the price.
The guy from HC is an "insider" , he know the market and he buy battery by the truck... no wonder that he can cut the price down on the battery.

I have been much more moral in my way to consume. When i have the choice I try to always buy something made locally.

Just for fun
In France there is a brand of RC fuel that have a nice slogan

"La qualité n'est pas chère puisque le médiocre est hors de prix"

In litteral translation
The quality is not expensive because the inferior is extremely expensive

My translation
The quality is affordable because the inferior is over priced
Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some people make me laugh. You have a $400 kit, a $400 radio, a $200 conversion, and a $300 brushless motor and speed control. Then what do you do? Buy 2 $90 batteries.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by huskerdually
Some people make me laugh. You have a $400 kit, a $400 radio, a $200 conversion, and a $300 brushless motor and speed control. Then what do you do? Buy 2 $90 batteries.
My setup

80 $ used to death hyper 7
250 € 7 channel Radio, but for this price I can use it for my helicopter , my plane and my RC car. (Multiplex made in Germany).
300 $ both made in USA (CC and Neu)

I plead culprit to put money in what I consider consider to be durable and worthy of investment

Unfortunatly it's extremly hard to be sure of the quality and durability of battery. So i do not put much money on them until I'm sure they worth it.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ill support zippy beacuse they are so much cheaper. The market will obviously decide where to go to purchase cells. Zippy is great but when other competitors drop their prices, I will switch.

For instance NEU just had a sale of 6s 4300 pack for 129.00. That is extremely competitive to zippy packs. Once American made packs can get that low, I will definitely buy from them.

And the thing about zippy is that I can get 2-3 packs for what it would cost to buy one polyquest, good neu pack, or thunderpower pack. For that kind of price, 3 zippys will almost certainly have the lifespan of 1 quality pack, and i can run 3 times as long, so really its a better buy even if the zippys go bad faster.

And taking apart and resoldering them is pretty easy. Nothing to be scared of, just be careful and there is no problem.

We really need a good battery manufactuer in the US to sell quality cells for a reasonable price, model the business same as zippy, no frills, just increase the quality and charge the extra 20-30 pack for it. I would most certainly pay a small extra charge to have a quality usa made pack.

I wonder why companies like are in this thread wont make 6s and 5s packs. There is a market for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.